Things I never thought I'd like

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As a child, I hated green beans. Then when I started cooking in my own home, I discovered wax beans. Fell in love with them. Now I buy them by the small cans and keep them in the fridge. I use a dash of Ranch Dressing on a full bowl of them. But for the green beans, I use fresh ones. Then chill them and do the same as the wax beans.

I first tasted capers a couple of years ago. I thought I was not going to like them. Now I put them in potato and macaroni salad. I even add them to a baked potato.

Oddly enough, even growing up in this community, I am still not too fond of Italian food. I won't eat Lasagna if there is Ricotta cheese in it. I prefer to eat just a meatball and leave the pasta on the plate. But I love Italian sausages in the gravy. :angel:

I'm one who doesn't care for capers.

As a child, I hated butternut squash which was a staple at our home. It was so bad I'd gag. Now I love it as a favorite veggie.

What are capers, exactly? I used to think they were chick peas or garbanzo beans.

Not beans at all. They are little plant buds that kind of taste like olives. They're mostly pickled with salt and vinegar.

Thanks. Hmmm, I'm not sure if I'd like them. I only like olives baked on a pizza.

Capers are pickled, unopened flower buds. The flower looks like this (I took this while in Tuscany a few years ago) when in bloom. At the very bottom you can see an unopened bud that would be a caper if properly pickled. I've never thought that they tasted anything like olives. They are mostly just salty.

i-4698sXN-L.jpg

Last edited:
They remind me of pickles more than olives; in fact, I replace olives with capers in recipes because DH doesn’t like olives, but we both love capers :yum: If you like pickles, give them a try.

I don't like pickles either, although I will put a small bit of sweet relish into a tuna melt.

TUNA MELT!

Now there's something I never thought I would eat. But I was hungry one day and someone offered me a half of their tuna melt and it looked like it might be good. I've been eating them ever since. However, I won't eat cold tuna in a salad.

As a child, I hated green beans. Then when I started cooking in my own home, I discovered wax beans. Fell in love with them. Now I buy them by the small cans and keep them in the fridge. I use a dash of Ranch Dressing on a full bowl of them. But for the green beans, I use fresh ones. Then chill them and do the same as the wax beans.

I first tasted capers a couple of years ago. I thought I was not going to like them. Now I put them in potato and macaroni salad. I even add them to a baked potato.
:angel:

I've always hated green beans. A neighbor of mine said I needed to try them fresh off the vine. So I planted them and naturally, they grew like Jack's beanstalk. I took one off the vine, bit into it and promptly spit it out again. It tasted like eating grass. So my neighbors got all those millions of green beans

Capers are pickled, unopened flower buds. The flower looks like this (I took this while in Tuscany a few years ago) when in bloom. At the very bottom you can see an unopened bud that would be a caper if properly pickled. I've never thought that they tasted anything like olives. They are mostly just salty.

i-4698sXN-L.jpg

Well, you guys have me convinced. I may not like capers, but I'm going to try them at least once. Yes, trust me, that was an earthquake you all just felt. Because I think I must be the pickiest eater alive and I only say I'm going to try something new about once every 20 years.

I've always hated green beans. A neighbor of mine said I needed to try them fresh off the vine. So I planted them and naturally, they grew like Jack's beanstalk. I took one off the vine, bit into it and promptly spit it out again. It tasted like eating grass. So my neighbors got all those millions of green beans

You're supposed to cook them first. ;)

I wouldn't like raw green beans either. Blanche them until tender, then they can be tossed with a flavored olive oil, a little hot bacon grease and crumbled bacon, sliced mushrooms... etc. Lots of ways to add some interest to plain old string beans.

I wouldn't like raw green beans either. Blanche them until tender, then they can be tossed with a flavored olive oil, a little hot bacon grease and crumbled bacon, sliced mushrooms... etc. Lots of ways to add some interest to plain old string beans.

Gee as kids, we would pick them from the kitchen garden all the time and eat them raw while outside playing. It was the only way I would eat them. We sort of had a salad every day when playing outside and not doing chores. Raw beans, carrots, lettuce, right from the garden. Wash them off with the hose and we were good to go. :angel:

As a child, I hated green beans.

Gee as kids, we would pick them from the kitchen garden all the time and eat them raw while outside playing. It was the only way I would eat them.

So which is it? You hated green beans, or you ate them raw all the time?

You might think about having your memory checked next time you go to Winthrop.

You're supposed to cook them first. ;)...
Not according to our son. When he was in high school, he'd grab a handful off of my cutting board as he was on his way to his room. I always passed it off as a hungry teen coming home from sport's practice willing to eat the first thing he saw. One day when I yelled at him, he said "but I like them better raw". After that, I always set some aside so he could grab and go.

Now he doesn't even like the things. Go figure...

So which is it? You hated green beans, or you ate them raw all the time?

You might think about having your memory checked next time you go to Winthrop.

I didn't like them cooked. Still not too fond of them cooked, but at least I will take a couple of bites of them. Raw, that is where all the flavor is.

And I am sure if I have any medical problems, they are none of your business. Are you some sort of medical expert along with all your other titles of expertise? Every hear of patient confidentiality? :angel:

I guess I didn't read the rule book. I like them both raw and cooked.

I don't care for most veggies raw. A few I can handle in moderation, but I prefer cooked. In my experience, raw green beans tend to be tough and rather unpalatable, and I really don't like the taste. Don't like raw cauliflower or broccoli either.

Speaking of raw beans, the first picking of the beans tend to be the tenderest of the season. I like beans raw, lightly blanched, deep fried, quick pickled and as regular pickled. Fwiw, I was hoping this thread would put some of the less conmon ingredients one encounters on my list of things to try...oh well.

Raw oysters.

My Mom loved them on the half shell and I'd gag watching her until I took her dare to try one as a kid. I've loved them ever since. The pure taste of the sea!! :yum:

And I am sure if I have any medical problems, they are none of your business. Are you some sort of medical expert along with all your other titles of expertise? Every hear of patient confidentiality?

Seriously?! You share, unprompted, way more than anyone wants to know about your medical goings-on.

Btw, patient confidentiality applies to health care providers only. When I worked at a medical school, I had to learn about and pass a quiz on the HIPAA law, even though I had no patient contact.

I do have a fair amount of medical knowledge. My doctors are all faculty at the medical school and teaching is a big part of their mode of patient care, plus I take advantage of the medical library to look up information when I need it. My family doctor once told me I could probably pass the test to become a physician assistant. He should know, since he teaches them.

Last edited:
Salted (Middle Eastern) lemons. I'd heard of them and I have had a recipe for making my own for about 30 years but never "got a round tuit" as they say. Came across a jar of them in the supermarket on one of my rare visits, so invested. Not got round to using them yet as I haven't cooked any Middle Eastern recipes recently. Waiting until I get round to having a dinner party.

I made them once. It's really easy, although it takes a few months of letting them sit in the fridge. I should do that again.

The capers are aromatic green buds of a shrube. They are preserved in salt or oil. They are fantastic on the pizza with the anchovies and oregano.

Raw oysters.

My Mom loved them on the half shell and I'd gag watching her until I took her dare to try one as a kid. I've loved them ever since. The pure taste of the sea!! :yum:

Same here Kay. I watched others eat them and I wanted to like them, but could not until I was about 30 years old.
I now love them and can list them as a one of my favorites.
Raw oysters on the half shell have become special to me.
My wife will not touch them. :rolleyes:

Same here Kay. I watched others eat them and I wanted to like them, but could not until I was about 30 years old.
I now love them and can list them as a one of my favorites.
Raw oysters on the half shell have become special to me.
My wife will not touch them. :rolleyes:

Neither will I, although I have tried. DH can have them. I'll have the scallops! :heart:

Unfortunately the only way I can now eat them is in oyster stew. For me they are high in iodine along with scallops. I love both. I love all shell products of the sea. I just have to make sure they are too high in iodine. Some are (the large ones) and some aren't. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom