Things you don't eat anymore because your SO doesn't care for them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
My GF doesn't like hot dogs or green peppers, so I rarely eat them..I could, and occasionally crave a hot dog when I see a pic or bbq season hits. I don't bother because it's not the end of the world if I don't have them..it's easier just to cook one thing...she also isn't crazy about fried onions or saucy ribs..I cook a rack of ribs, cut it in half and sauce my half..ahh, the things we do for love...

Lamb, my lasagna (no ricotta and lots of parm and sausage), beans, Swedish meatballs, avocado, duck. No doubt there's more.

I can't stand the smell of papaya. It gags me. But my wife loves them and gets them all the time.

My wife hates onions. I love onions, so I eat them and cook with them. I might leave them out of a recipe from time to time when I'm in the mood.

Fried chicken livers. Craig will eat them in pate or dirty rice or bolognese, but not fried.

SC can't tolerate hot peppers past a carefully seeded and deveined jalapeno in a recipe, so I don't cook with hot peppers anymore and I can live without them.
Since we've been married he's found that the things he thought he didn't like was because is late wife didn't. Funny how that works...
Frankly, he's a dream to cook for.
We both detest brussel sprouts, so there's that.

Last edited:
DH hated pepper and mushrooms. When I say pepper, I mean black pepper, green pepper, red, yellow or orange peppers, jalapeno etc. I've managed to get him to eat black pepper and all the sweet peppers in some dishes but haven't gotten him into mushrooms. Fortunately, my DIL loves mushrooms too so when we go out, we share mushrooms and the guys share onions.

I'm lucky. Mrs. T will eat damn near anything, as long as I cook. She's not too fond of calimari, but will eat it on the rare occasions that I make it, recognizing that it's one of the hazards of not cooking.

I am,only allowed to eat calf's liver if we are eating out somewhere. And I sit at another table.

DW got food poisoning eating broccoli rabe once, so that's out.

Luckily I live alone. One of the best perks - I only eat what I want, what I like, what I love, what I crave!

I do admit if I screw it up I usually choke it down as I HATE to throw out good food just because I didn't do right by it.
Although there is a limit to how much I will choke down - sometimes it's been bad enough that I've chucked it out...:( :LOL:

Well also... while my brother was living with me - he loved sardines...

and that's fine! but...

IMMEDIATELY you must!!!

Rule 1) - eat the whole tin (none left over in the fridge)
Rule 2) - wash the tin with SOAP and water AND the lid
Rule 3) - put them in the "outside" garbage immediately
Rule 4) - wash with soap & water, the knife, fork, plate, dry and put away. Plus any other article that might have come in contact with hideously stinky disgusting and... agrghh (for lack of another word)

dragn, Himself loves and eats canned kippers. I make him take those stinky things outside to eat, and to toss the can in the outside trash. :LOL: But I don't make him wash the tin out, and the fork goes in the dishwasher. Good enough for me.

Our tastes have evolved over 4+ decades, so the list keeps getting shorter. Since I am THE cook in the house (Himself heats leftovers if I make them...), I've mostly cooked to my preferences. When we got married I didn't like anything with heat, didn't like Mexican food, wasn't into anything more than basic cooking. However, an older, single, food-wise work acquaintance would take me out to dinner when Himself would travel. The first time we went out, I had Dover Sole with sauteed green grapes and almond slices. Made a similar dinner for us at home shortly after. Himself deemed it "too fancy". Now he thinks that cooked grapes with fish or chicken are great! :LOL: I've also learned to like Mexican food or spicy meals enough to cook them more than once a year. Ten years ago, barbacoa would have been verboten for my tongue.

Himself is easy to feed, mostly. My Mom had a rather :whistling: colorful expression about skunks and tasty food. ~ I, on the other hand, still have issues with some food. I've tried sushi/sashimi - don't like it. Same with calamari. Still can't do raw onions. Himself gets some of those things when we go out, I'll still cut raw onions for him when it goes well with the dinner, so I guess neither of us suffer...OR go hungry!

I've been glutting myself on sardines and kipper snacks. I have to open two cans, one for me and one for the cats. And Anchovies...Shrek was into any white fish and tuna only on certain days. I'm getting my fill of salmon and mackerel and, and...

Seafood. Mark doesn’t have any seafood allergies, but he really doesn’t like any of it, except for the occasional shrimp cocktail or some lobster, when we can afford it. But I don’t think I’ve cooked any fish in maybe 5 years. Sad, because seafood is my fave. Ah, the things you do, or don’t do, for love!

SO and I occasionally have what I call individual medley meals where she eats what she likes and I eat what I like. That way we're both happy. As a matter of fact, we're having one tomorrow. I'm having an Armenian dish out of the freezer and she's having golobkis.

I cook 2 or 3 dinners with no problems. Life would be so boring if we only ate what my husband liked and I couldnt eat most of that anyway.

I love sour kraut,. will eat it while the rest whines but most often when I have sour kraut they have heinz beans.

I and my husband cant stomach pyttipanna due to the smell and my daughter loves it , so she eats it at school instead, she most likely the only kid who will have 3 servings of when it on the menu.

Hot German potato salad and my Oma's "boiled dinner", which is meats, potatoes and onions cooked in sauerkraut. Karen isn't really fond of sauerbraten, so I only make it for my birthday dinner.

My husband will eat most things, but is restricted on what he is able to eat regularly. I love rice, but he can only tolerate it in very small amounts, and not very often. This makes me sad, because I make a mean risotto. At least, I used to.

My husband will eat most things, but is restricted on what he is able to eat regularly. I love rice, but he can only tolerate it in very small amounts, and not very often. This makes me sad, because I make a mean risotto. At least, I used to.

So, make risotto for yourself and a piece of veal or chicken or pork for him, and maybe a vege, so he can still have the risotto but only as a side.

Risotto is not my DH's favorite, but he will eat it, though not as often as I would make it if he liked it more.

Back
Top Bottom