Thinking of opening a food service business ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah ha! Here it is! Me thinks it would be better to continue posting here since it's already here. No need for another topic.

Anyways, the intent of the business as a personal chef is for both a la carte meals as well as pre-prepared, ready to toss in the oven weekly meals. Additionally, cooking and grocery consultations. Basically, everything I can possibly do without crossing the line into catering as the state laws for catering are pretty strict.

As I mentioned, I have registered the business and got my tax ID number. Just the other day I sent my registration for business name. I chose Country Home Cooking. I'll post the logo I created when I get home, but I thought of a creative catch phrase. "Simple. Sophisticated. Savvy. Seductive. You decide!" Yes, the repetitive "S" was intentional (alliteration I think it is called). The intent is each is a category of cuisine style/preparation. The terms "Sophisticated" and "Seductive" were originally "Formal" and "Romantic", respectively. But I wanted to run with the "S" and went to Mirriam Webster Thesaurus to help.

I've got hosting for the website lined up, as well as plans via GoDaddy.com for the domain name. I have an enterage (sp?) of recipes to weed through to classify as well as test. I have a tri fold brochure drafted, but I need some changes made before final draft. I also have my invoicing all but established, as well as basic accounting needs covered. I just need to open a business checking account to keep finances separate. That way I'll be able to track taxes a bit more easily.

I'd like to get some proper chef clothing for this as well. Maybe I'm dreaming a bit big, but as Ryan Schupe (sp?) and the Rubber Band sings, "when you dream, dream big." Also, cookware and cutlery as well.

Until the name is certified, I'm not printing anything like letterhead, etc. I'm creating them, but not printing so that if needed, the name can easily change. That said, the preliminary query says the name is okay and available, but they have to dig deeper I guess to determine if it truly is available.

I guess that's about all I can think of now. :chef:

Bigdog.. it sounds like your off to a wonderful start!! Keep up the good work.

And I agree...if you're gonna dream... dream big!

Good luck BigDog, would strongly suggest you look at getting some insurance.

Have no idea what the laws are in your state, but once you leave the food in the care of the client you have no idea what they are going to do with it.

And they can always blame you for carelessness.

Just an idea, and once again best of luck.

Aunt Dot is right on about the insurance. You never know when someone might sue you and take everything you have.

And now, here's the most important advice I will ever give you...

Pay Social Security on yourself, even if you don't think you can afford it!!!!

My accoutant told me this a long time ago, but I didn't, and now that I'm disabled from breaking my back running that greenhouse, I find that I never did pay enough in to draw SSI Disability. I have to wait until I'm old enough to collect Medicaid, through my husband.

:mad:

BigDog

I just found this thread. While I was reading it I noticed that you didn't specify the type of restaurant you wanted to end up with. I see that towards the end, and now you state you'd like to be a personal chef.

It would be useful to everyone here to know the size of city you live in? Is there demand for your services? How many other companies (individuals) are already providing this service and how well are they doing? Is there a Yellow Page listing for this profession?

Crash said:
BigDog

I just found this thread. While I was reading it I noticed that you didn't specify the type of restaurant you wanted to end up with. I see that towards the end, and now you state you'd like to be a personal chef.

It would be useful to everyone here to know the size of city you live in? Is there demand for your services? How many other companies (individuals) are already providing this service and how well are they doing? Is there a Yellow Page listing for this profession?

Long term, a restaurant would be nice. However, I have no resources for funding a restaurant at this time, and need to start smaller.

As for locale, I live in a city of about 60,000. I am a south suburb of the Twin Cities (Minneapolis & St. Paul), and most all of the suburbs are over 30 to 40 thousand in population. Granted I don't necessarily want to travel all over the metro area, but if I can determine cost effectiveness, I will. If you include my city and those that directly surround it, the population would be somewhere around 200,000 or so. The personal chef industry is just starting to catch on, and those that I have found in business in my area are doing well. Even when I registereed the business, the state people said that this is a growing part of the business world in MN and I should do well. Certainly encouraging, that's for sure.

If I chose to encompass the whole metro area, I'd be looking at a population of 1.5 to 2 million or so. If the information I have learned thus far is accurate, I ought to be able to find at least some people in those couple million to be customers.

Best of luck to ya, man!!!
You're my hero, because you are taking the chance I want to take. Are you still working your full-time job?

Erik said:
Best of luck to ya, man!!!
You're my hero, because you are taking the chance I want to take. Are you still working your full-time job?

Yes, but not by choice. Gotta have some sort of income while launching this thing!

no words of wisdom here, but i just wanted to say good luck big dog. we're all behind you 100 percent.

BigDog,

Before you go too far, check with the Health Departement, here in Michigan it's required that you have a place of buisiness, as the sale of homemade foods is prohibited.

Crash said:
BigDog,

Before you go too far, check with the Health Departement, here in Michigan it's required that you have a place of buisiness, as the sale of homemade foods is prohibited.

Done. For something like this, I'm fine. Catering out of the home is a no no, unless your catering kitchen meets the HD's reqs.

I do want to check into the insurance bit, as someone else mentioned. One more thing do add to the list of things to do for this! :rolleyes:

how about a small "chc" logo in the same font on the blank side of the stove?
or some lines or something. the blank black spot draws too much attention.

Option B, designed with some help from urmaniac13 . . . . .

A bit softer without the black standing out so strong.

Attachments

• CHC Logo 2.jpg
    CHC Logo 2.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 215
buckytom said:
how about a small "chc" logo in the same font on the blank side of the stove?
or some lines or something. the blank black spot draws too much attention.

Same with option B? I don't want it to be too busy, though. With the oven being a bit smaller and in a different color, does that make it better?

Although late to this party, I'm another one who feels that the "Personal Chef" organization websites make money for themselves only. What they charge for their "workbooks & recipes" are right up there with what you see on late-night TV infomercials. Sorry - way too much $$$ for what - recipes they've proven will freeze well? Lol!!!

I don't buy it, & think one is much better off developing their own recipes & methods, & purchasing their own insurance. Not to mention why oh why would anyone want to contract with a company using recipes from a commercial chef website. Not me - yuck.

Back
Top Bottom