"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
..........PrincessFiona, since pasties are Michigan food they probably won't work in OH...it's a state thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller View Post
I thought maybe you said this because of the state rivalry between OH and MI.............
Yup, that was my point...and especially in a bar...but it was late when I was posting and I only half-answered in my reply..... But made in puff pastry? Even that might fly in OH...any recipes I've seen call for a heavy pie-type dough.

VERY short OH/MI history: OSU fans hate Michigan fans...but individually we all can get along. But when it comes to state loyalty it's "Go Bucks/MI sucks". But it's all in good, clean fun. Honest!

Hmmm, how about "Westside Wednesday's"? Bill the daily special(s) as being what came in fresh from the Westside Market. That way you can cruise your way among the vendors to see what they have that looks extra-good that day. One way to bring in local.

I also think the idea of your patrons voting from a list of potential specials would make the menu selections more personal...and probably bring more people in? It's a chance that wouldn't cost anything.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #32
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller View Post
On the contrary, the contrast might be welcome! I like greasy fried stuff sometimes, but would welcome a change with some fresh, locally grown fare as well. And to see that in a pub type place would certainly be original!
We have a local sports bar here that has the standard fare but their big hook is that they only use locally grown seasonal veg when ever possible, and locally caught fresh fish and sea food. So I can see using locally grown / raised / produced ingredients being a big draw for you, even if you repeat the specials.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #33
Senior Cook

You really need a special?

What an awesome menue!I can see where you are short on time espiecially if there is often only one cook working at a time.I think you are selling yourself short by saying that you are no chef.You may not have the formal training but it sounds like you have the work ethic and the ability to work under great stress.That is something that cant be taught.I get freaked out sometimes just makeing dinner at home.Good luck Jared. I really do'nt think your gonna need it though.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:34 PM   #34
Master Chef

A local favorite for this type of place is a taco bar .... oops, you already said that. Of course next month, corned beef dinner. Another local favorite is Italian roast beef sandwiches (think French dip with Italian seasonings in the broth). Various kinds of meat balls -- in brown sauce, or tomato, or creamy sauce, in a crock or chafing dish, served on buns or noodles or whatever starch folk in your area like. If you don't mind buying meatballs frozen in bulk from a company you like, you can do a myriad of things with them, from browning and skewering them for a happy hour snack, to putting them in tomato sauce, not just over spaghetti, but on a sub-type bun with some mozzerella melted on top, to a brown or white sauce over noodles or rice. Add a little sour cream to the brown sauce, and you have stroganoff.

Where are you? That sometimes determines what people will like.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:15 PM   #35
Cook

Make a burger, but top it with chipotle mayo and crispy deep fried jalepeno slices.
tzakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:20 PM   #36
Head Chef

Chipotle mayo. I am making that next time I make burgers!