"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-02-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
Senior Cook

This plating looks odd... any suggestions?

so today I made pineapple glazed pork chop. I tried to plate it with red cabbage, pineapple slice and mashed potato (under the pork chop), but it looks kind of busy. Any suggestion on how to make this better?

Old 11-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
Senior Cook

It seems like it could use more potatoes under the pork. The pork looks like it's floating on the end closest to the camera resulting in that harsh shadow. Seeing the potatoes sticking out from that end of the pork would give a "grounding" effect to the image. Not sure the parsley needs to be in the pic. Where it is placed seems to separate the pork from the cabbage. And the size of the parsley seems too big to me (if you intend to keep it on the plate, try a smaller piece).
Maybe the cabbage could go on top of the pork? The pineapple could be cut into smaller pieces and be part of the cabbage? Although, in my mind there should be apple in the cabbage (and no pineapple at all) as this really looks like a Bavarian dish. The plate seems too big also. A lot of white space is left over. Maybe this would plate nicely in a bowl with a wide rim?

Old 11-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
Head Chef

I would serve the potatoes on the side, maybe with a minced parsley garnish on top. The first thing I would do is move the chop over so that I could cut it. Then maybe the cabbage on the side with only the pineapple slice on top. I'm not a fan of food "tower" presentations.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
Senior Cook

I came back to suggest you could also try rotating the plate so the cabbage is in the foreground. Sort of make the appearance of the plating "narrower" as it seems a bit wide in the picture. Then you could zoom in a bit more so not as much of the blank areas of the plate show in the picture.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
Senior Cook

I would simply angle the pork chop differently. I would put the pork chop at a slight angle so that you could see some of the potatoes. I also might remove the parsley.

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

I really don't see where it looks like a pork chop - seems more to be 'mystery meat' - and as far as what is visible it seems to be mostly 'mystery fat'

Parsley fine for the color - but why looking greasy and/or 'glazed?'

Red cabbage will never win any prizes for the way it looks - here or anywhere (can taste great tho )

OK - remember YOU asked
Old 11-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #7
Head Chef

Slightly separate the cabbage from the rest of the food. Now its close to the same colour so it kind of blends into the chop.

The chop does look like its floating and does not look natural. I like the idea of letting the camera see some of the potatoes sticking out. If you do that you might need to suport the other side of the chop with something (edible or safe).

Green does help to break up the browns and blacks. I have found its better to chop the green stuff.

Better lighting would also help.

Here is a pic I took that might give you some ideas.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #8
Senior Cook

lol powerplantop nice picture. I think I'm really restricted by my plates, cuz I only have round and oval shaped plates. I need to go get more fancy ones.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
lol powerplantop nice picture. I think I'm really restricted by my plates, cuz I only have round and oval shaped plates. I need to go get more fancy ones.

I think you should work with what you have until you get the look you are after!

Stretch your imagination not your wallet.

That is what the restaurants do.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I think you should work with what you have until you get the look you are after!

Stretch your imagination not your wallet.

That is what the restaurants do.
yea, the problem is I really don't know what's the look I'm looking for... like I don't have a mental picture of good looking food, cuz any food that tastes good looks good to me lol... I guess I don't have a artistic brain :(