Thoroughly stumped!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atheana

Assistant Cook
Hello all, I have come across a situation that I have never had before and I can only turn to the culinary experts here - perhaps you can help.

I made a vegetarian pasta bake with rigatoni the other day. I have made this many times in the past although I tend to add whatever ingredients I have on hand at the time so no two times are ever quite the same. The last time I made this for some peculiar reason that I cannot for the life of me figure out it came out with a bitter taste. Two different people who tried it said the same and then I had it and boy did I feel it.

I am hoping that perhaps somebody here can advise which of these ingredients might have caused that bitter taste, this is what went into the dish:

Rigatoni
passata
Sainsburys quinoa bolognese (INGREDIENTS: Tomato (78%), Quinoa (6%), Tomato Puree, Sun-dried Tomato Paste (4%) (Sun-dried Tomatoes, Tomato Paste, Sunflower Oil, Sugar, Salt, Basil, Rosemary, Garlic Puree), Onion, Smoked Garlic Puree, Demerara Sugar, Olive Oil, Water, Cornflour, Smoked Sea Salt, Oregano, Parsley, Balsamic Vinegar (Red Wine Vinegar, Grape Must Concentrate), Black Pepper)
Chargrilled Mediterranean Vegetables (Aubergine, Courgette, Red & Yellow Peppers)
Kalamata olives
Black beans
Mozerella
Oregano
Garlic granules
Chopped onion
Dried basil

The end ??.

So for the life of me, I cannot figure out which of these ingredients caused the bitter taste. Especially as I have used most of these in the past and never had this happen.

Can anybody offer any answer?

Kalamata olives can taste bitter

So can oregano

Fresh garlic can often taste bitter and off but you used dry, so that's not it

Did you taste the "Bolognese" (in quotes because that's not what it is)before you used it? The quantity of chargrilled vegetables is probably too small to make a difference but eggplant is bitter and grilling can leave a bitter taste in food.

All in all, it's really impossible to tell for sure, but I see several possible culprits.

Cheers for that. Thing is that I have used kalamata olives in the past I never had this problem. The Bolognese as you rightly point out what is really just a tomato sauce, no meat. Quite nice actually LOL. I had it before I used it this time so yes I've tasted it and no it was not bitter. I'm thinking maybe it was the oregano because that's the only thing I used new this time. I think when I make it again, I will be without the oregano.

I wonder if it might have been the aubergine (eggplant here in the US), which can sometimes be very bitter if they are not fresh. I have a few that were downright inedible.

I didn't actually prepare the quinoa, it was in the sauce, but thinking about it, it was probably the oregano. I didn't realise that oregano could make something taste bitter??? The aubergines were pre-cooked so I don't think that could be the culprit. When I make it next time I will do so without the oregano and come back and report on the results LOL thank you everybody for your input.

Last edited:
I didn't actually prepare the quinoa, it was in the sauce, but thinking about it, it was probably the oregano. I didn't realise that oregano could make something taste bitter??? The aubergines were pre-cooked so I don't think that could be the culprit. When I make it next time I will do so without the oregano and come back and report on the results LOL thank you everybody for your input.
I have never noticed oregano to have a bitter flavor. I grow it and use it fresh and dried. I'm thinking it's the eggplant.

Once I made a pasta sauce with far too much oregano and it was very bitter. I've very been cautious with it ever since.
Since it's the only thing you haven't used in the mix before, it's likely the problem.

Once I made a pasta sauce with far too much oregano and it was very bitter. I've very been cautious with it ever since.
Since it's the only thing you haven't used in the mix before, it's likely the problem.
I guess if you use too much, that could happen. I have a friend whose husband doesn't want her to cook with rosemary because she used way too much one time [emoji38]

Oregano isn't always bitter but it can be perceived as quite bitter, esp if you are heavy handed with it.

IMO fresh is less likely to be bitter

Did you consider the Quinoa? that also can be very bitter if not properly prepared.

+1. I will NEVER EVER forget the first time we had quinoa and I didn't rinse it enough. It ended up in the garbage. I'd never use a preprepared mix using quinoa because I wouldn't trust they had washed it enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

I guess if you use too much, that could happen. I have a friend whose husband doesn't want her to cook with rosemary because she used way too much one time [emoji38]

Oregano isn't always bitter but it can be perceived as quite bitter, esp if you are heavy handed with it.

IMO fresh is less likely to be bitter

I've never had fresh oregano available but it can sure happen with dried.

Rosemary is another that needs to be used sparingly, along with cumin.
My mother in law made a pot of beans once that was horrible! Being a new bride, I asked her sweetly what was her secret she said lots and lots of cumin. ACK...I didn't use cumin at all for the next 30 yrs. I since have learned how to use it and like small amounts of cumin now.

My former SIL used to recreate a ghastly "recipe" that her MIL made for her husband when he was a kid. Tomato sauce with like more than a quarter cup each of dry oregano and dry rosemary and Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage.....

Use dry herbs sparingly, people!!

I used to be a "palm user" when putting dried seasoning into anything. Just like my mother taught me. Then one day I got carried away with the dry oregano. Nasty, bitter, Yukky, you name it, and that is what it was. Lesson learned.

Now, no matter what the recipe calls for, I use my measuring teaspoon for all dried seasoning. One teaspoon only. I have a set of those ceramic glass measuring spoons like Giada uses. They were a gift to me. For years they sat in the food tool drawer. Now they hang beside the seasoning shelf.

I had the same problem a while back. New bottle of dried oregano. It ruined my bolognese and I have been using oregano for years without this happening.

Me thinks you are right ?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom