"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: Do you break your spaghetti/linguine prior to cooking?
Yes, almost always or always 27 35.06%
No, never or barely ever 41 53.25%
Less than 50% of the time 6 7.79%
More than 50% of the time 3 3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #91
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
One of my favourite TV chefs said that if you add oil to the pasta cooking water you get non-stick pasta. So, don't! You want the sauce to stick.
Coincidentally I just recently asked that question to an expert chef who grew up in Italy and she told me the same thing. Oil it if you want slippery pasta, don't oil it if you want the sauce to stick. It makes sense too.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #92
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef
I find that it twirls better with a fork and spoon if it isn't broken first, so I don't break. I used to break but then dealt with spaghetti shrapnel flying around the kitchen!

I use a stir-fry type pan (it's pretty deep) to cook pasta and it is wide enough to take the whole length of spaghetti laying down.

My partner just cuts up his spaghetti to eat it.
I never heard of anyone doing it this way.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #93
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengirl View Post
I never heard of anyone doing it this way.

Which? Cooking pasta in a deep wide pan or cutting up pasta to eat it?
Old 05-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #94
Sous Chef

My mom always broke the noodles so they would fit in the pan. It drove me crazy!! I like twirling my pasta, and it's more fun with long noodles. This thread inspired me- I'm going to whip up some grilled chicken and have chicken Alfredo tonight! No broken noodles please!

Oh and this thread reminded me of an old joke- I asked my mom why she always cuts the top off her ham and she said, "Well, because that's how my mother always did it." So I asked my Grandma, and she said because that's how her mother did it. So I asked my great grandma and she said, "I cut the top off because my pan was too short!"
Old 05-09-2012, 01:04 AM   #95
Assistant Cook

Ok, here's a good one. A friend comes from an Itanian background and so does her husband. They have my family over for dinner. It was delicious! Unfortunatelly my 5 year old spills a drink in the middle of the kitchen floor. I demand to clean my childs mess. I notice dried spaghetti pieces all over the corners and sides against the cabinets on the floor. When I took her aside to ask her she said she likes it smaller but her husband likes it long so she just breaks it in half without him noticing basically b/c it is still long. Is this phenomea so sided that they cant admit to being flexible? AS stubborn as I once was (out of ignorance) I do feel there is a happy medium. Taste the same and convienient to all. Thoughts?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #96
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1006gm View Post
Ok, here's a good one. A friend comes from an Itanian background and so does her husband. They have my family over for dinner. It was delicious! Unfortunatelly my 5 year old spills a drink in the middle of the kitchen floor. I demand to clean my childs mess. I notice dried spaghetti pieces all over the corners and sides against the cabinets on the floor. When I took her aside to ask her she said she likes it smaller but her husband likes it long so she just breaks it in half without him noticing basically b/c it is still long. Is this phenomea so sided that they cant admit to being flexible? AS stubborn as I once was (out of ignorance) I do feel there is a happy medium. Taste the same and convienient to all. Thoughts?
Years ago, we used to be able to get the packages of 2 foot long spaghetti. Awkward to cook, but Dad liked it. Then they quit selling it. He was devastated, but did agree that the shorter tasted just as good, it just wasn't as fun.

Everybody does things differently, doesn't matter who they are. I suspect many Italians break their spaghetti, just like many Americans do. How many people do you know that will not pick up their fried chicken with their fingers? I know one or two. Are they nuts? Of course they are, but it's how they do it.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #97
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Years ago, we used to be able to get the packages of 2 foot long spaghetti. Awkward to cook, but Dad liked it. Then they quit selling it. He was devastated, but did agree that the shorter tasted just as good, it just wasn't as fun.

Everybody does things differently, doesn't matter who they are. I suspect many Italians break their spaghetti, just like many Americans do. How many people do you know that will not pick up their fried chicken with their fingers? I know one or two. Are they nuts? Of course they are, but it's how they do it.
I am one of those nuts. If I am out in a restaurant, I will cut the meat off with my knife. The same with ribs. So now I save those foods for home. I was leaving too much meat on the bone. I am a quick learner.

Good morning.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #98
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am one of those nuts. If I am out in a restaurant, I will cut the meat off with my knife. The same with ribs. So now I save those foods for home. I was leaving too much meat on the bone. I am a quick learner.

Good morning.

See, I told you they were nuts! Here's one now!

Oh! Good Morning Addie!
Old 05-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #99
Assistant Cook

Good morning all! Yikes! I can't spell after midnight...too tired. Plus I didn't even use my little friend spell check. What was I thinking?? Shame, shame. My apologies for spelling Italian wrong. My husband would be mortified being he is Italian or should I say "Itanian" like I did last night. Here's the rest of the conversions: unfortunatelly=unfortunately, phenomea=phenomenon and convienient=convenient. Ok, perhaps it would make alittle more sense now. No more posting for me after midnight, over tired and without my glasses/contacts.

Yes, I have seen the broken pieces in the stores. Too short for me I like to twirl. I guess you can't please everyone! However, that's what my friend purchases now and they love it.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 05-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #100
Master Chef

I never break mine either. I'm very superstitious so breaking it would be a big no no and I also throw salt over my left shoulder, never walk under ladders etc lol!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaking pasta, breaking spaghetti, cooking, dried spaghetti, spaghetti