"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: Do you break your spaghetti/linguine prior to cooking?
Yes, almost always or always 27 35.06%
No, never or barely ever 41 53.25%
Less than 50% of the time 6 7.79%
More than 50% of the time 3 3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #121
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
On this particular topic, I disagree; it's wrong to break the pasta, but that's just my opinion.

The steak analogy would work if we were discussing pasta doneness.

Do you cut your steak into small pieces before cooking it?

It was not a direct analogy...it's an opinion and a preference, there is no right or wrong about any of it.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #122
Assistant Cook

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
It was not a direct analogy...it's an opinion and a preference, there is no right or wrong about any of it.
PrincessFiona is right! There is no right or wrong way...just opinions. Obviously some pretty strong ones. So, isn't Giada De Laurentiis Italian? She has a show on the Food Network and is quite the chef right? Don't tell anyone but this Italian Chef has a recipe where it says to break spaghetti. So do many other Chefs as well, some don't. However, there are many recipes out there that tell you to break up the pasta. Just cook it the way you like it and eat it!

As for depriving my kids of twirling and slurping. I didn't. We all know you can still twirl and slurp pasta broken in half or thirds. The fork is less full which was my goal to prevent choking. That's all.

No Mayonnaise, yes at times I do cut my steak before cooking. For stir fry! Ha! Back to spaghetti..the texture is the same if it is a full strand or half. Texture and shape are two different things. So, do you pick out the broken pieces from the box before you cook them? If not, can you actually tell the difference when you eat that shorter strand because the "texture" is different? Do you continue eating that piece or spit it out?

Isn't this absurd? It's spaghetti! Let's just enjoy it any way we like it. It's very versatile! But I do love a good argument for arguments sake.

No pasta for me tonight, dare I tell you what I am cooking and how? Some may disagree with my technique. I am open to new ways to cook though.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #123
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Gotta love DC! Such passion for pasta!
Old 09-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #124
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaM. View Post
No Mayonnaise, yes at times I do cut my steak before cooking. For stir fry! Ha! Back to spaghetti..the texture is the same if it is a full strand or half. Texture and shape are two different things. So, do you pick out the broken pieces from the box before you cook them? If not, can you actually tell the difference when you eat that shorter strand because the "texture" is different? Do you continue eating that piece or spit it out?
a) That's cooking a stir fry, not cooking a steak.

b) No, the way stringy pasta twirls around the fork in long strands has a different texture than the way short strands (don't) twirl around the fork. The way it feels when you bite into them is different. Yes, I pick out the broken pieces from the box and avoid cooking them. But even then, we're talking about a fork-full, not one or two errant strands in a bowl of otherwise whole pasta.

c) @PrincessFiona, You're postulating that my opinion is wrong while espousing the idea that opinions are inherently preference-based and therefore not right or wrong. Or am I reading that incorrectly?
Old 09-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #125
Certified Pretend Chef

No mayo, even if you're right, the decision to break pasta for a wide variety of reasons is not the end of the world. Not suggesting you should do it. Others prefer it that way and that's OK.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #126
Executive Chef

The real reason I don't break my pasta is the same reason I have my pizza cut into 6 slices. I can't eat eight!
Old 09-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #127
Master Chef

I break angel hair in half when cooking just for me, for lunch. Less water, less time. For hubby and me, or company, I wouldn't dream of it. When when I do the former, I'm making a bowl for one, and make a sort of primavera, and want it to be fast & easy. Otherwise, never.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #128
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC
The real reason I don't break my pasta is the same reason I have my pizza cut into 6 slices. I can't eat eight!
:snicker:
Old 09-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #129
Sous Chef

I just want to comment how much I've enjoyed reading this thread. It's almost as funny as the "funny thread" :D I like making my own spaghetti, and making the noodles extra long. So needless to say I don't break my spaghetti. But my mom did when we were kids, and if I had kids, I might too.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #130
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

My mom always did, and when I went out on my own I did too. I quit when I would find spaghetti shrapnel around the kitchen when cleaning, I know lots of people who do it out of habit.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaking pasta, breaking spaghetti, cooking, dried spaghetti, spaghetti