"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: Do you break your spaghetti/linguine prior to cooking?
Yes, almost always or always 27 35.06%
No, never or barely ever 41 53.25%
Less than 50% of the time 6 7.79%
More than 50% of the time 3 3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #131
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

In our case, a household with no natural teeth left, breaking the spaghetti is a new learned behavior. Pasta is also now cooked past al dente. It's true, as you age and certain things befall you, you regress back to childhood.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #132
Head Chef

I like it unbroken, but when daughter was little she wouln't eat it if it was left whole so then broke it into 4's then progress to just broke in 1/2 which meant cooking in separte pans. by 7 were up to full and didn't mind twirling it.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #133
Chef Extraordinaire

Sometimes it depends on which pot I have available. I prefer unbroken. but if the tall pan has not been washed yet, I used a shorter three quart saucepan. Break the angel hair in half, toss it in the boiling water, stir and walk away. Tall pan requires more water so that when I place unbroken pasta in it, the wait for the boil is longer.

When cooking bucattini you can't twirl it whether you have one stand on your fork or several. So breaking it or not has no effect on that effort. Slat pasta is another one that can propose problems for twirling. You wouldn't think so but Linguini can be difficult to twirl. My favorite is Angel Hair. Cooks fast, and easy to eat and twirl I want to have fun with my food.

When I have stew or soup, I have to decide what the next mouthful is going to have on the spoon. A piece of meat or all veggies. Should I save the meat for last or mix it with the veggies. Just shoving an eating untensil into my mouth with whatever I pick up on it, makes for a boring meal. Since I eat alone every day, I would like some excitement in my meals. Some folks live to eat. Other eat to live. I want to live to eat. And if you don't believe me, take a look at my waistline.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #134
Assistant Cook

I break my pasta. It's easier for me and tastes delicious. No one I ever served over the years ever had a problem with it. We entertain often and our company gets quite boisterous and honest. If they found it to be a flaw it would be made fun of, trust me. Also, a bunch of us are Italian. Perhaps next time I will bring it to their attention to see if there is a reaction.

First time here. I like the discussions! Looking forward to checking things out.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #135
Sous Chef

This thread was funny. I remember a few years ago when my husband and I first got married I broke the pasta in half to put it in the put and I hear my husband running towards me screaming "no!!!!.... Sacralige!" haha. I prefer mine with a fork and in a bowl to twist it but it takes forever id it's too long if I don't break it. My husband sits patiently with the unbroken pasta and twirls it with a fork on a spoon eating from a plate.... Yet we somehow managed to stay married nearly 5 years despit all that. We shall see who the baby takes after but right now she just shovels it in her mouth with her hands and throws it on the floor.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #136
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
This thread was funny. I remember a few years ago when my husband and I first got married I broke the pasta in half to put it in the put and I hear my husband running towards me screaming "no!!!!.... Sacralige!" haha. I prefer mine with a fork and in a bowl to twist it but it takes forever id it's too long if I don't break it. My husband sits patiently with the unbroken pasta and twirls it with a fork on a spoon eating from a plate.... Yet we somehow managed to stay married nearly 5 years despit all that. We shall see who the baby takes after but right now she just shovels it in her mouth with her hands and throws it on the floor.
Nooooo!! Pasta on the floor!! Sacrilege!!!
Old 09-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #137
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
My money is on your husband. Kids love to play with pasta. Kids love to play with any food.

And welcome to DC.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #138
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Lazzari View Post
Nooooo!! Pasta on the floor!! Sacrilege!!!
Don't worry Luca. The dog will clean it up!
Old 09-15-2012, 11:26 PM   #139
Executive Chef

Five or six inches (of spaghetti broken in half) wrapped around 1" wide fork is enough. unless you come to dinner with a sleeveless undershirt and use a spoon to twirl your spaghetti.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:25 AM   #140
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Five or six inches (of spaghetti broken in half) wrapped around 1" wide fork is enough. unless you come to dinner with a sleeveless undershirt and use a spoon to twirl your spaghetti.
I agree.

Maybe I'll make a video about this
I mean, if you can learn to use Chinese sticks, you can surely learn how to roll good old spaghetti, whole length, on a fork.
You don't really need to know it. But maybe it comes a moment when you decide to come to Italy. And you will go eating in restaurants. I mean, I cannot see any other reason for coming here
In this case, if you learned the skill, you'll avoid to be laughed at by us bunch of pasta bigoted cumpÓ

Tags
breaking pasta, breaking spaghetti, cooking, dried spaghetti, spaghetti