Thoughts on breaking spaghetti prior to cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you break your spaghetti/linguine prior to cooking?

• Yes, almost always or always

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • No, never or barely ever

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Less than 50% of the time

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • More than 50% of the time

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters
My favorite spaghetti by far is from Trader Joe's, whole grain organic pasta. It's a little over a dollar a pound. Heck it may be made by one of the companies that you mention since it is a store brand.

I wasn't crazy about whole grain pasta until I bought this, I guess that it has improved over the years.
I am a dyed in the wool, whole-grain, kinda gal. I had given up on whole grain pasta, because almost all of it (except homemade) had nasty, bitter flavours. Then, as I was shopping in my favourite Italian grocery store, I came across some whole grain pasta made in Italy. "Hmm, let's give this a try. Italians know how to make pasta." This was about 20 years ago. I have always had good luck with whole grain pasta made in Italy.

The one I usually buy costs ~$2.95/500 grams.

The bread crumbs are ground fairly finely and just sprinkled on top to make a crispy crust as the dish bakes. It makes a nice contrast with the creamy, cheesy sauce.

When we put "bread crumbs" in soup, they're larger, about 1/2 inch square, and we call them croutons.
Thank you, I hadn't understood.

Okay, thanks Bakechef for the Mueller's photo. I will keep breaking mine because I have a favorite brand. So, here's a question that will get some interesting and/or funny answers for those of you that break your pasta.

Where is the funniest/crazy place that you found a piece of pasta that went flying when you broke it?

Mine was in the soft fold of the door seal of the freezer which is the upper part of my fridge. I also found them on top of the fridge as well. Burners and floor are quite normal for those who break, I think, as I find them there frequently and learned to look there while cleaning up. :)

I had a piece stuck in my hair when I got done fixing dinner. Shrek was teasing me about cheap hair adornments.

So many hits! It must be a hot topic for some. I still break and thirds is my preference! I also now have a "no mess" way to do it! :)

Back
Top Bottom