Thoughts on breaking spaghetti prior to cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you break your spaghetti/linguine prior to cooking?

• Yes, almost always or always

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • No, never or barely ever

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Less than 50% of the time

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • More than 50% of the time

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters
Wow! Still going! I never thought it was such a passionate subject. I personally didn't like the mess of breaking pasta prior to cooking nor did I ever think of it before I met my husband, very much. Now, I must say it's official. I break it. I came up with a way to break it neatly at any length the family wants which is normally 1/2 or 1/3 (unless I am making some kind of soup then my usual is 1/5) and it still twirls very good. Now the whole family is happy. As for meatballs, if anything we cut them with the side of a fork. No knife, but I have learned that's just our preference and what other people do doesn't bother me unless they are complete and utter slobs when eating in a restaurant or are in the company of others. Then I just loose my appetite. (or not look) :)

I have seen some that spear their meatball with their fork, and gnaw on it like they never learned how to cut into small bite pieces. Sure makes you want to sit at a table with them in an upscale restaurant. :angel:

I break it in half. It is easier for DA to eat it, as she is blind. I cut up the meatballs for her and mix it very well on her plate. All she has to do at this time is put her fork in and twirl it until I tell her it is all there.

Your friend,
~Cat

I was brought up twirling it with a fork into a soup spoon. Till this day my wife says it looks odd. I tell her thats the way we did it back when the dinosaurs roamed. To each their own.

I was brought up twirling it with a fork into a soup spoon. Till this day my wife says it looks odd. I tell her thats the way we did it back when the dinosaurs roamed. To each their own.

I remember those days. We had one as a house pet. :angel:

I remember as a kid we used to stick the end of the spaghetti strand in our mouth and then suck it in, while sauce flew everywhere.

Also my mother eat spaghetti in this way, but it is judged right not even in Italy. Anyway, there are many people who do it.

To whom doesn't know how to face meatball, why don't you choose a good "ragù alla bolognese"? There is meat but no meatball to break :LOL:

Also my mother eat spaghetti in this way, but it is judged right not even in Italy. Anyway, there are many people who do it.

To whom doesn't know how to face meatball, why don't you choose a good "ragù alla bolognese"? There is meat but no meatball to break :LOL:

So what is judged right in Italy?

Skipping the issue of whether to cut the meat ball apart. (IMO it's gross to not cut a big meat ball into small pieces before consuming.)

So what is judged right in Italy?

Skipping the issue of whether to cut the meat ball apart. (IMO it's gross to not cut a big meat ball into small pieces before consuming.)
You should use only the fork.
About the issue of the meat ball, I agree: we don't use meatballs in the pasta (someone put them in the lasagna, but very small ones), but cutting them with the fork before you eat them seems the only logical thing. :chef:

Look what I found in my store today

ForumRunner_20131017_152335.jpg

I almost always break my spaghetti --- agree that the mess from a swinging dangle of a long piece of pasta con sauce is the reason.

If I'm at a friends house or a restaurant---- I cut it up first. To heck with convention. lol

Do you think someone there has been reading our discussion, maybe?

And my store has this.

Prince - Our Products - Quick Cook<sup>®</sup> Elbows

I bought one box of the Penne. Will let you know how it is. You boil it like you do for Success rice. In a bag. :angel:

We have that same Pasta in the Ronzoni brand. I was wondering why we don't have Prince pasta here, it's what I grew up with. Remember "Wednesday, Prince Spaghetti day"? Apparently Prince and Ronzoni are the same company.

Back
Top Bottom