Thoughts on breaking spaghetti prior to cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you break your spaghetti/linguine prior to cooking?

• Yes, almost always or always

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • No, never or barely ever

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Less than 50% of the time

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • More than 50% of the time

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters
Do you think someone there has been reading our discussion, maybe?

And my store has this.

Prince - Our Products - Quick Cook<sup>®</sup> Elbows

I bought one box of the Penne. Will let you know how it is. You boil it like you do for Success rice. In a bag. :angel:
Do you want kill me? Better: "Vuoi che io muoro?" as says an italian comician who mimics Joe Bastianich:ROFLMAO:

If I can ask, how much do you pay pasta?

Ah, the lira. We miss it.
What brand do you have? Are there also italian ones, like Barilla, De Cecco, Buitoni?

What brand do you have? Are there also italian ones, like Barilla, De Cecco, Buitoni?

I guess I should have used Euros! 0.73 Euro.

Yes, all those brands and more.

Last edited:
I guess I should have used Euros! 0.73 Euro.

Yes, all those brands and more.
They are the most famous.
Do you pay 0,75 euro cent 450 gr of pasta? I thought worst. Here we pay 1000 gr of Barilla from 1,49 to 1,69. De Cecco is more expensive.

Another question: for how much time do you cook pasta? Here there is the firm belif that, outside Italy, everyone cooks it too much.

I always liked my pasta soft and mushy. My husband now has me eating it cooked less, with a little crunch to it. If I make Mac and Cheese, I still like it soft and mushy.

I always liked my pasta soft and mushy. My husband now has me eating it cooked less, with a little crunch to it. If I make Mac and Cheese, I still like it soft and mushy.
I like you husband!
Mac and Cheese should be a sort of timbal of pasta and cheese, isn't it?

I work in a restaurant and when we cook the pasta there we leave them in whole. With all the restaurant equipment we have and the larger pots it is fairly easy to just place the noodles in and not worry about the mess. Whoever when I am cooking at home i still chose to break them half the time, just seems to simplify it and have it easier to mix them around. I feel if you break them once they aren't too big or too small. But this is just my opinion.

It sounds just a little strange here, but everyone can eat as he wants.
I have a very normal pot and I leave the spaghetti in whole, I wait some second then I lower them with the carving fork.

I don't break my spaghetti, but I DO use a spoon and fork for the swirling (which I learnt from watching someone do it on TV).

And I also have no qualms at all about asking for a fork in a Chinese restaurant - otherwise what is the point of being there? I can't eat with chopsticks!

The only pasta I buy is organic, whole grain, pasta from Italy. These are the two brands they carry at my local health food store: Bio Naturae, and Felicetti. They are both really nice tasting pasta. I cook them al dente, however long that takes.

I usually don't ask for a fork, but I can't use chopsticks well. Maybe I hope to learn it, but after so many years...

The only pasta I buy is organic, whole grain, pasta from Italy. These are the two brands they carry at my local health food store: Bio Naturae, and Felicetti.
We usually use Barilla, that is nice tasting and doesn't cost so much, but it cracks and I don't like it. The De Cecco it's really better, but it is more expensive.
They are both really nice tasting pasta. I cook them al dente, however long that takes.
It should be the only way to cook it :p

We have that same Pasta in the Ronzoni brand. I was wondering why we don't have Prince pasta here, it's what I grew up with. Remember "Wednesday, Prince Spaghetti day"? Apparently Prince and Ronzoni are the same company.

Prince restructured and bought out Ronzoni.

Do you want kill me? Better: "Vuoi che io muoro?" as says an italian comician who mimics Joe Bastianich:ROFLMAO:

If I can ask, how much do you pay pasta?

We pay about $1.00 for a full pound. But at least one week a month you can get pasta for as little as $.89-$.79 a pound. The imported pasta from Italy in cellophane packaging is usually always less than $1.00 a pound for any given brand. :angel:

I like you husband!
Mac and Cheese should be a sort of timbal of pasta and cheese, isn't it?

Mac and cheese is often made with a white sauce, melted chees in it and add to al dente cooked elbow macaroni. That is the very basic simplest way to make it. The type of cheese is the cook's option. Some add toasted bread crumbs, or tomatoes, etc. :angel:

We pay about $1.00 for a full pound. But at least one week a month you can get pasta for as little as $.89-$.79 a pound. The imported pasta from Italy in cellophane packaging is usually always less than $1.00 a pound for any given brand. :angel:
Do you pay Barilla and other italian brands $1 for 450 gr? It's not much, considering that $1 is € 0,7 .

Mac and cheese is often made with a white sauce, melted chees in it and add to al dente cooked elbow macaroni. That is the very basic simplest way to make it. The type of cheese is the cook's option. Some add toasted bread crumbs, or tomatoes, etc. :angel:
Bread crumbs aren't a little too much in a plate of pasta? In my family we usually use them for the soups, in place of pasta.
My mother sometimes does "4 cheese pasta", good but a little heavy. The idea is the same of Mac and chesse, but maybe a little lighter: cheese sauce and pasta.

Four cheese pasta - Italian recipe - YouTube

Bread crumbs aren't a little too much in a plate of pasta? In my family we usually use them for the soups, in place of pasta.
My mother sometimes does "4 cheese pasta", good but a little heavy. The idea is the same of Mac and chesse, but maybe a little lighter: cheese sauce and pasta.

Four cheese pasta - Italian recipe - YouTube

The bread crumbs are ground fairly finely and just sprinkled on top to make a crispy crust as the dish bakes. It makes a nice contrast with the creamy, cheesy sauce.

When we put "bread crumbs" in soup, they're larger, about 1/2 inch square, and we call them croutons.

The only pasta I buy is organic, whole grain, pasta from Italy. These are the two brands they carry at my local health food store: Bio Naturae, and Felicetti. They are both really nice tasting pasta. I cook them al dente, however long that takes.

My favorite spaghetti by far is from Trader Joe's, whole grain organic pasta. It's a little over a dollar a pound. Heck it may be made by one of the companies that you mention since it is a store brand.

I wasn't crazy about whole grain pasta until I bought this, I guess that it has improved over the years.

My favorite spaghetti by far is from Trader Joe's, whole grain organic pasta. It's a little over a dollar a pound. Heck it may be made by one of the companies that you mention since it is a store brand.

I wasn't crazy about whole grain pasta until I bought this, I guess that it has improved over the years.

When the whole grains came out, the reviews were not too great. It seems that they have fixed that grainy feeling that it had. That was the main complaint. I have never tried it. Why eat healthy now? A little too late for me. I done all the healthy stuff that I am going to do. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom