"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-19-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Thoughts on personal cooking classes?

Okay, what are your thoughts on personal cooking classes? The kind where a chef comes to your house and shows you and some guests how to prepare a meal. I was thinking it might be a fun way to pick up some new techniques, and my husband says he's up for it (he's a terrible cook and admits it), but I'm looking at some of the prices and wondering if it's worth it. Do you know where to find affordable ones?

Old 06-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
Master Chef

I think it is a great idea, yes it can be a bit pricey but I would still do it if I had a presentable kitchen, the one I have would challenge any chef, LOL! Think of it as saving up for something special. Even the little things you can pick up from the chef would be well worth the time.
Of course I personally like the ones where you work with the chef to make the meal, I think I would get more out of that working side by side with em.

Hey, don't we have a member that does this kinda thing? LOL.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
Head Chef

I'm thinking mrochester found my calling!

Lee
Old 06-20-2008, 12:53 PM   #4
Executive Chef

The other way is to join a small cooking class - over here there are some that are reasonable. DW bought me a weekend class for a birthday present. There was a chef, 8 students and an assistant in a professional kitchen. We cooked three mealss - lunch Sat, dinner Sat and late lunch on Sunday, sitting down all together to eat in with the appropriate wines. At the time it was around 200. This is the place:
Cookery Courses - Ashburton Cookery School offers over 40 cooking classes and wine courses.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:15 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester95 View Post
Okay, what are your thoughts on personal cooking classes? The kind where a chef comes to your house and shows you and some guests how to prepare a meal. I was thinking it might be a fun way to pick up some new techniques, and my husband says he's up for it (he's a terrible cook and admits it), but I'm looking at some of the prices and wondering if it's worth it. Do you know where to find affordable ones?
Where do you live? I'm sure we could work something out
Old 06-20-2008, 02:51 PM   #6
Senior Cook

try american personal and private chefs.com to check out your area
Old 06-20-2008, 11:17 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the great response, everyone! I guess I hadn't thought of asking you personal chefs directly... silly of me, on a cooking website. Thanks to everyone who offered help! I don't know if any of you are in the Tallahassee area? I've been looking through some local listings and have seen a few that might be good.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:39 PM   #8
Head Chef

I use to do that very thing in Cedar Rapids and severl other places. Was a lot of fun
I did it for free just for the fun of it