Thoughts on the work triangle idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sensible size!

Mad Cook I have no sense at all. :LOL:

The kitchen ended up the size it is because it's what was left in the plans.

The cabinets are made from an old chicken coop we took apart and the appliance's are all from demo's of kitchens.

Yes I'm a Sanford and Son kind of guy. ;)

Waste not want not is how I was raised. Not to mention I'm a cheap SOB. :mrgreen:

Zagut....that is the kitchen of my dreams! :ohmy: I love it, it's absolutely gorgeous.

Bakechef, your kitchen is laid out exactly like mine! :ohmy: Right down to the appliances being in the same place and all. Above the sink in my kitchen is a window to the back yard, and behind the pic would be my dining room.

It's a small kitchen, but it works for me. The only thing that I really, and I mean REALLY dislike, is the lower corner cabinets next to the range. There are black holes in them :LOL:, so deep that a person would have to practically climb in them to get to the space. :glare: I keep very seldom used things in there, if anything at all.

Well Cheryl. I guess that you'll just have to marry me and your dreams will come true. :LOL:

Think you can handle and old grump? ;)

I don't have a triangle, I have an "L".

Attachments

• DSC03043.jpg
    DSC03043.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 164
I don't have a triangle, I have an "L".

My kitchen is almost the same as yours (I think we even have the same countertop) except flipped 180 degrees.

I agree with one of the previous posters who considered the prep area more important than the fridge as part of the triangle. I get everything I need out of the fridge before starting to cook, so it really isn't part of the equation for me. I'd rather have a clear path between the prep area and the sink and stove.

My kitchen is arranged thusly;

Walk into the kitchen from the living room and to your immediate left is the gas range/oven. To the right of that is a breakfast bar that sits between the dining room and kitchen. It's about 4 foot long. Then there's the opening to the dining room. Above the breakfast bar is two overhead cabinets with fine dishes. After the dining room opening, you run into a wall that runs east/west. To the right is the refrigerator space, and another cabinet above that. Then a knee wall and cabinets under it for another 3 feet, with a Formica counter top that can be used for storage of electric appliances (at least that's what it was designed for). Then, I have both overhead and floor cabinets in the corner, again with Formica counter top working space. Following that counter top, there is the kitchen double sink (stainless steel large sinks with a single faucet), then another more overhead cabinet, and the dishwasher on the floor. There is also space under the sink. Finally, one more right turn and cabinets above and below. to the kitchen opening. Between the sink and the stove sides, in the middle of the room is a four by two butcher block table, with cutting boards on top. I have ten cabinets all together, a butcher block table with storage underneath, and an overhead pot rack. And I still have so much cooking stuff that I overfill the cabinets and part of the walk in pantry that I haven't even mentioned. I have some things that fit in boxes because they won't fit in the spaces designed to hole it all.

If I could get DW to allow me to get rid of unused Tupperware, and one of the three sets of dishes, I might have space for the stuff that is used. I also have a fridge in the dining room. Somehow, it all still isn't big enough.:LOL: Who is it that said "He who has the most kitchen toys, wins."?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I have a kitchen rectangle:

sink facing east, stove facing south, refrigerator facing west and counter/main work space facing north.

Zagut....that is the kitchen of my dreams! :ohmy: I love it, it's absolutely gorgeous.

Bakechef, your kitchen is laid out exactly like mine! :ohmy: Right down to the appliances being in the same place and all. Above the sink in my kitchen is a window to the back yard, and behind the pic would be my dining room.

It's a small kitchen, but it works for me. The only thing that I really, and I mean REALLY dislike, is the lower corner cabinets next to the range. There are black holes in them :LOL:, so deep that a person would have to practically climb in them to get to the space. :glare: I keep very seldom used things in there, if anything at all.

Yup both lower cabinets have BIG black holes! I try not to put much of anything in them because I may not ever see them again! Over the sink is a window with a shelf where there is a slight pop out in the building so there is a HUGE window sill, more like a shelf. I have my two vintage stand mixers on it along with some pretty serving platters on stands.

There is a second door right around that corner, on this side of the fridge where you can enter the dining room, so there are two entrances which is nice.

Yep, those black holes are a HORRIBLE kitchen design! :neutral: Your window above the sink sounds nice, BC, lots of room to hold things. :)

my "triangle" is:
sink - prep/work area - cooktop

including the fridge or the oven in a triangle methinks is the harebrain idea of someone who has not yet heard of the theory: 'get your stuff out & ready'

if the stove is below the "cooktop" unit, no problem.

but when I'm fixing to fix something, I drag out all the ingredients into the prep area. I'm not opening the fridge twenty times....

when I put something in the oven, it's going in "for good" - the oven is not something I need to access within half an arm's reach on a minute by minute basis.

basically, I reckon I have some disagreements with the experts-of-no-experience when it comes to zactly what should be in a triangle.....

I agree with this :)

I guess I have an L-shaped work space, or a long-angled triangle, if you prefer ;) I use the peninsula as the primary prep area because it faces the TV on the counter at the entrance to the kitchen. I love, love, love my kitchen. We remodeled it a few years ago, top to bottom. I do have a "black hole" lower corner cabinet, but my seldom-used baking items are in there. And I have a nice, light step stool that folds easily and fits into a pantry cabinet so I can reach the top cabinets.

Attachments

• DSC08802.jpg
    DSC08802.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC08797.jpg
    DSC08797.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 157
I agree with this :)

I guess I have an L-shaped work space, or a long-angled triangle, if you prefer ;) I use the peninsula as the primary prep area because it faces the TV on the counter at the entrance to the kitchen. I love, love, love my kitchen. We remodeled it a few years ago, top to bottom. I do have a "black hole" lower corner cabinet, but my seldom-used baking items are in there. And I have a nice, light step stool that folds easily and fits into a pantry cabinet so I can reach the top cabinets.

I thought I had the most magnets on a fridge...:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom