"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-20-2014, 04:12 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I once had a kitchen with an island in the middle. The problem with that arrangement was every time I need something, it was always on the other side of the island from where I was standing.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:15 PM   #12
Head Chef

Those are nice guide lines Rock but don't get hung up on inches and "right vs. wrong".

A kitchen is what works for you and the way you think and cook. We also have a great ability to adapt to what we have available and learn to use it.

I've done many kitchen rehabs and there are many done by designers that I wouldn't want myself. They look nice but I wouldn't want to function in them.

1. You will never have enough counter space. If you don't use it for kitchen stuff other crap will invade the space.

2. Storage will never be ideal but you put things where they make sense to you.

3. The flow of everyday life is the most important aspect in how a kitchen is used and that's different for each and everyone of us.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Of all the tools in my kitchen, the following is my favorite. It allows me to rest and still reach items way above my head safely. It allow me to always be holding on when I need to reach something of the second shelf or higher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0184.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	21124  
Old 04-20-2014, 04:31 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Every kitchen needs a step stool. Especially those of us who are vertically challenged.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

As you can see I have a very small triangle, but it works really well.

I was convinced that I would hate my tiny 80's kitchen, but figured that we could live with it for a while since the rest of the house was near perfect. I've grown to love being only one or two steps from each station. I'm standing in the door facing the entry way and directly behind me, what used to be a coat closet is an equipment pantry. In the kitchen to the right is a smaller pantry that houses all of our snacks and baking supplies.

Most kitchens can be made to work with a bit of creativity and keeping uncluttered.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:50 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I want to know what moron designed the kitchen in these apartments...the galley type kitchens are as wide as the door to outside, which is the back entrance of the apartments. This constitutes the 4th wall in the horrible kitchen.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a kitchen L. It sucks. Some nights it becomes a T. That's when instead of hanging a left to the stove from where my fridge and sink are located I hang a right outside to the grill. It was a poorly laid out farm house. I think perhaps the bathroom came later, after the initial build. I would love a triangle. Just like Phil Jackson.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:58 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I want to know what moron designed the kitchen in these apartments...the galley type kitchens are as wide as the door to outside, which is the back entrance of the apartments. This constitutes the 4th wall in the horrible kitchen.

The same kitchen designer who didn't include a step stool or at least a place to store one.

Here's my kitchen BTW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0035.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	21125  
Old 04-20-2014, 06:05 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
The same kitchen designer who didn't include a step stool or at least a place to store one.

Here's my kitchen BTW.
Sensible size!
Old 04-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
My kitchen is really badly designed. I have about 2.5' of counter on one side of the sink and ~3.5' on the other, but most of it is in a corner next to the stove. I have to reach to get at it. I also have 12" counter between the stove and fridge. I swear, it would take anyone who cooks a week to come up with this design if they were told to make it bad.

I use my portable dishwasher as a movable island and most prep is done on it. Some is done on the table in the dining room.