"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #41
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I think that triangle concept has merit.

My stove is under 4 feet from the sink and while it's OK when one person is in the kitchen, if there are two, one at the stove and another using the sink you need to be on extremely friendly terms as your backsides will be sharing the same space. My fridge is more than 10 feet from the sink and I don't mind the extra steps. bad cell phone pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	backsplash_1000.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	21148   Click image for larger version

Name:	backsplah2_1000.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	21149  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Backsplash3_1000.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	21150  

Old 04-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I thought I had the most magnets on a fridge...

Old 04-22-2014, 03:35 PM   #43
Master Chef

Oooh, another nice kitchen, Janet!
Old 04-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #44
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I think that triangle concept has merit.

My stove is under 4 feet from the sink and while it's OK when one person is in the kitchen, if there are two, one at the stove and another using the sink you need to be on extremely friendly terms as your backsides will be sharing the same space. My fridge is more than 10 feet from the sink and I don't mind the extra steps. bad cell phone pics:

Nice kitchen, Janet. Looks like you need a bigger wine rack.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #45
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Nice kitchen, Janet. Looks like you need a bigger wine rack.
LOL, maybe I just a cork screw and some free time to work on the overflow

If I had this kitchen to do over again, I would raise the counter height an inch. The standard is just a little too low for comfort.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:29 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I thought I had the most magnets on a fridge...
I have the most boring fridge front. Only Emergency information. Poo's phone number. Along with Winthrop's and the overnight nurse. My magnets are all from work. Nothing fancy but boy, are they strong. Some are clip ones to hold business cards of my doctors. The kids used to bring me ones from where they would go for vacation. They end up in a drawer. I do have a pencil holder with a matching mirror that belonged to my granddaughter when she was in school. She kept it inside her locker. I always know where to look for a pen or pencil when I need one.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #47
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I really like your kitchen, but how do you keep the lids from falling off of your hanging pots and roasters???????
Thank you Aunt Bea. My kitchen is a mishmash of parts collected tearing out others kitchens.

The way I keep the lids on is a tiny wire attached at the handle of the pot, looped around the knob/ handle of the top and then attached on the other handle of the pot. I don't use the hangers much so it's not a big PIA to unwire them when I do use them.

"Nice kitchen, Janet. Looks like you need a bigger wine rack."

Who doesn't need a bigger wine rack?

Black Holes can be helped by a lazy Susan. Not perfect but you don't need to place 1/2 your body in to find something.

Refrigerator Magnets are an "Art Form". They say something about the folks who inhabit the space. I have a confirmed calendar magnet from 1998. I'm sure some are older My theory is if it sticks then it's good to go on my fridge.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:04 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post

Black Holes can be helped by a lazy Susan. Not perfect but you don't need to place 1/2 your body in to find something.

Refrigerator Magnets are an "Art Form". They say something about the folks who inhabit the space. I have a confirmed calendar magnet from 1998. I'm sure some are older My theory is if it sticks then it's good to go on my fridge.
My sister had a Lazy Susan in her bottom and top cabinets. The top one so she could reach the stuff that would normally be in the back of the shelf.

I used to have magnets all over my fridge doors. Then when it came time to remove them and clean the doors thoroughly, there were all these little circles and squares that were almost impossible to clean up. And it was a PITA to remove them and put them all back. So no more magnets unless they are to hold important information, like medical phone numbers.

I remember as a child when we (as kids) had to do the dishes, we wiped off the table, stove front, and swept the floor. After we dried the dishes, we put them away. It was all part of "doing the dishes." There were no magnets on the fridge.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:57 PM   #49
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Beautiful Kitchen Janet...do you actually cook in it? It looks too clean!
Old 04-23-2014, 12:21 PM   #50
Sous Chef

We have a good sized kitchen with a work triangle leaving lots of space for a table and two eating bars. I finally figured out that no matter how much planning goes into it, if a home cook is doing the cooking, everyone that comes to visit, friends or family, feels the need to stand in the middle of the planned work triangle and chat while the cook dodges around them in the work triangle.