"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #51
Sous Chef

ours is pretty much a carbon copy of Janet's - I'd post a pix of the fridge magnets but VOILE! - ain't none! sly ole SOB whot I am, I took a magnet along while shopping to ensure the stainless was _not_ the magnetic flavor....

as you can see, burgers & baked beans for din-din.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2676.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	21154  

Old 04-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #52
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Beautiful Kitchen Janet...do you actually cook in it? It looks too clean!
I photoshopped out the clutter and grime ;) Today I'm making pecan brittle

Old 04-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
We have a good sized kitchen with a work triangle leaving lots of space for a table and two eating bars. I finally figured out that no matter how much planning goes into it, if a home cook is doing the cooking, everyone that comes to visit, friends or family, feels the need to stand in the middle of the planned work triangle and chat while the cook dodges around them in the work triangle.
My kitchen gets crowded when there are more than two people in it and it's not great with two. My guests have learned to ask if they can come into the kitchen. I get very crabby otherwise.

When I had a bigger kitchen, I made people sit at the kitchen table and assigned them chopping or peeling tasks. Those who didn't want to help learned to stay out of the kitchen.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
We have a good sized kitchen with a work triangle leaving lots of space for a table and two eating bars. I finally figured out that no matter how much planning goes into it, if a home cook is doing the cooking, everyone that comes to visit, friends or family, feels the need to stand in the middle of the planned work triangle and chat while the cook dodges around them in the work triangle.
That's why I love the peninsula in my kitchen. I can shoo people out of the work area and they can still be in the kitchen. In front of, and to the right, of the peninsula is another counter, about 6 feet long, where I set up drinks and appetizers, so people can help themselves without coming into my space
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC08796-straight.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	21156  
Old 04-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post
ours is pretty much a carbon copy of Janet's - I'd post a pix of the fridge magnets but VOILE! - ain't none! sly ole SOB whot I am, I took a magnet along while shopping to ensure the stainless was _not_ the magnetic flavor....

as you can see, burgers & baked beans for din-din.
I love the tile between the cabinets and counters. Gorgeous!
Old 04-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #56
Certified Pretend Chef

I keep guests on the far side of the peninsula which happens to be the dining area too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03107.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	21157  
Old 04-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #57
Certified Cake Maniac

Nice kitchen, Andy! Are those granite counter-tops? I love the lower drawers by the fridge and stove!

I am not showing any pictures of my kitchen until we redo it. It's itsy bitsy teeny weeny!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #58
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I keep guests on the far side of the peninsula which happens to be the dining area too.
and another vote for sink-prep-cook (g)

GG - the tile work... homespun. yeah, hadda' make a splash
Old 04-23-2014, 04:59 PM   #59
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Nice kitchen, Andy! Are those granite counter-tops? I love the lower drawers by the fridge and stove!

I am not showing any pictures of my kitchen until we redo it. It's itsy bitsy teeny weeny!

Thanks! The countertops are "engineered stone". Basically made of quartz in various colors, patterns, designs. I chose it because it's harder, stronger and more carefree than marble or granite. No sealing needed, almost as hard as a diamond and can handle hot pans right off the stove.

Here are some samples. http://cambriausa.com/en/designs/design-palette/

The selection is much better than when I bought. Ours is "Bristol Blue".
Old 04-23-2014, 08:08 PM   #60
Head Chef

I was more concerned with counter and storage space than any sort of triangle when we built our kitchen. This photo shows that priority.

This was the week we first moved stuff into the house, so there are no chairs at the island yet, and the packing plastic is still on the appliances. No clutter on the counters yet - now we have a toaster oven left of the range, and a utensil jar, knife block, and spoon rest to the right, a row of canisters left of the fridge and a dish rack/drainer right of the sink. Also 3 baskets in the center of the island for potatoes, onions, garlic, and non refrigerated fruit. It still leaves a lot of counter space for prep and cooking. Most prep is done on the island.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kitchen.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	21168