Thoughts on the work triangle idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that triangle concept has merit.

My stove is under 4 feet from the sink and while it's OK when one person is in the kitchen, if there are two, one at the stove and another using the sink you need to be on extremely friendly terms as your backsides will be sharing the same space. My fridge is more than 10 feet from the sink and I don't mind the extra steps. bad cell phone pics:

Attachments

• backsplash_1000.jpg
    backsplash_1000.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 154
  • backsplah2_1000.jpg
    backsplah2_1000.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 148
  • Backsplash3_1000.jpg
    Backsplash3_1000.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 157
I think that triangle concept has merit.

My stove is under 4 feet from the sink and while it's OK when one person is in the kitchen, if there are two, one at the stove and another using the sink you need to be on extremely friendly terms as your backsides will be sharing the same space. My fridge is more than 10 feet from the sink and I don't mind the extra steps. bad cell phone pics:

Nice kitchen, Janet. Looks like you need a bigger wine rack.

Nice kitchen, Janet. Looks like you need a bigger wine rack.
LOL, maybe I just a cork screw and some free time to work on the overflow :chef:

If I had this kitchen to do over again, I would raise the counter height an inch. The standard is just a little too low for comfort.

I thought I had the most magnets on a fridge...:LOL:

I have the most boring fridge front. Only Emergency information. Poo's phone number. Along with Winthrop's and the overnight nurse. My magnets are all from work. Nothing fancy but boy, are they strong. Some are clip ones to hold business cards of my doctors. The kids used to bring me ones from where they would go for vacation. They end up in a drawer. I do have a pencil holder with a matching mirror that belonged to my granddaughter when she was in school. She kept it inside her locker. I always know where to look for a pen or pencil when I need one. :angel:

I really like your kitchen, but how do you keep the lids from falling off of your hanging pots and roasters??????? :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Thank you Aunt Bea. My kitchen is a mishmash of parts collected tearing out others kitchens.

The way I keep the lids on is a tiny wire attached at the handle of the pot, looped around the knob/ handle of the top and then attached on the other handle of the pot. I don't use the hangers much so it's not a big PIA to unwire them when I do use them.

"Nice kitchen, Janet. Looks like you need a bigger wine rack."

Who doesn't need a bigger wine rack? ;)

Black Holes can be helped by a lazy Susan. Not perfect but you don't need to place 1/2 your body in to find something.

Refrigerator Magnets are an "Art Form". They say something about the folks who inhabit the space. I have a confirmed calendar magnet from 1998. I'm sure some are older My theory is if it sticks then it's good to go on my fridge. :mrgreen:

Black Holes can be helped by a lazy Susan. Not perfect but you don't need to place 1/2 your body in to find something.

Refrigerator Magnets are an "Art Form". They say something about the folks who inhabit the space. I have a confirmed calendar magnet from 1998. I'm sure some are older My theory is if it sticks then it's good to go on my fridge. :mrgreen:

My sister had a Lazy Susan in her bottom and top cabinets. The top one so she could reach the stuff that would normally be in the back of the shelf.

I used to have magnets all over my fridge doors. Then when it came time to remove them and clean the doors thoroughly, there were all these little circles and squares that were almost impossible to clean up. And it was a PITA to remove them and put them all back. So no more magnets unless they are to hold important information, like medical phone numbers.

I remember as a child when we (as kids) had to do the dishes, we wiped off the table, stove front, and swept the floor. After we dried the dishes, we put them away. It was all part of "doing the dishes." There were no magnets on the fridge. :angel:

We have a good sized kitchen with a work triangle leaving lots of space for a table and two eating bars. I finally figured out that no matter how much planning goes into it, if a home cook is doing the cooking, everyone that comes to visit, friends or family, feels the need to stand in the middle of the planned work triangle and chat while the cook dodges around them in the work triangle.

ours is pretty much a carbon copy of Janet's - I'd post a pix of the fridge magnets but VOILE! - ain't none! sly ole SOB whot I am, I took a magnet along while shopping to ensure the stainless was _not_ the magnetic flavor....

as you can see, burgers & baked beans for din-din.

Attachments

• DSC_2676.jpg
    DSC_2676.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 167
We have a good sized kitchen with a work triangle leaving lots of space for a table and two eating bars. I finally figured out that no matter how much planning goes into it, if a home cook is doing the cooking, everyone that comes to visit, friends or family, feels the need to stand in the middle of the planned work triangle and chat while the cook dodges around them in the work triangle.
My kitchen gets crowded when there are more than two people in it and it's not great with two. My guests have learned to ask if they can come into the kitchen. I get very crabby otherwise. :LOL:

When I had a bigger kitchen, I made people sit at the kitchen table and assigned them chopping or peeling tasks. Those who didn't want to help learned to stay out of the kitchen. ;)

That's why I love the peninsula in my kitchen. I can shoo people out of the work area and they can still be in the kitchen. In front of, and to the right, of the peninsula is another counter, about 6 feet long, where I set up drinks and appetizers, so people can help themselves without coming into my space ;)

Attachments

• DSC08796-straight.jpg
    DSC08796-straight.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
ours is pretty much a carbon copy of Janet's - I'd post a pix of the fridge magnets but VOILE! - ain't none! sly ole SOB whot I am, I took a magnet along while shopping to ensure the stainless was _not_ the magnetic flavor....

as you can see, burgers & baked beans for din-din.

I love the tile between the cabinets and counters. Gorgeous! :)

I keep guests on the far side of the peninsula which happens to be the dining area too.

Attachments

• DSC03107.jpg
    DSC03107.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 147
Nice kitchen, Andy! Are those granite counter-tops? I love the lower drawers by the fridge and stove!

I am not showing any pictures of my kitchen until we redo it. It's itsy bitsy teeny weeny!

Last edited:
Nice kitchen, Andy! Are those granite counter-tops? I love the lower drawers by the fridge and stove!

I am not showing any pictures of my kitchen until we redo it. It's itsy bitsy teeny weeny!

Thanks! The countertops are "engineered stone". Basically made of quartz in various colors, patterns, designs. I chose it because it's harder, stronger and more carefree than marble or granite. No sealing needed, almost as hard as a diamond and can handle hot pans right off the stove.

Here are some samples. http://cambriausa.com/en/designs/design-palette/

The selection is much better than when I bought. Ours is "Bristol Blue".

Last edited:
I was more concerned with counter and storage space than any sort of triangle when we built our kitchen. This photo shows that priority.

This was the week we first moved stuff into the house, so there are no chairs at the island yet, and the packing plastic is still on the appliances. No clutter on the counters yet - now we have a toaster oven left of the range, and a utensil jar, knife block, and spoon rest to the right, a row of canisters left of the fridge and a dish rack/drainer right of the sink. Also 3 baskets in the center of the island for potatoes, onions, garlic, and non refrigerated fruit. It still leaves a lot of counter space for prep and cooking. Most prep is done on the island.

Attachments

• Kitchen.jpg
    Kitchen.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom