Time Intensive Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jolie535

Assistant Cook
My girlfriend and I like to spend our saturdays making a really good meal that takes hours to make and like to do as much as we can from scratch. We will do multiple courses or make our own pasta noodles by hand while cooking the sauce and such. Does anyone know of any cookbooks or sites that offer recipes of this type? Are there any keywords that I can type in to a Google search? I try the word "gourmet" but that doesn't really help. Thanks.

Hi Jolie, and welcome to DC.

I'd suggest that you two go to your local Barnes and Noble bookstore, sink into those nice chairs there, buy yourselves a coffee, and go through the cookbook section. It's one of my favorite things to do. I recently looked at "The French Laundry" by Johnathan Keller, and I think it would be right up your alley. ;)

If you want labour intensive but good gourmet food, I would suggest any of Gordon Ramsay's books. This is NOT a Ramsay slam - he has some great stuff, but it is not your "get home from work and slap dinner together" fare.

What a fun idea!

Could you share some of the things you have made?

Kayelle's idea of looking through the cookbook sections is a good one. Another could be looking at your grandmother's collection if it is available. Many of those books would tell you how to make the stock they expect you to use.

Hi Jolie, and welcome to DC.

I'd suggest that you two go to your local Barnes and Noble bookstore, sink into those nice chairs there, buy yourselves a coffee, and go through the cookbook section. It's one of my favorite things to do. I recently looked at "The French Laundry" by Johnathan Keller, and I think it would be right up your alley. ;)

Isn't that Thomas Keller? Maybe he has a pen name.LOL

If you want labour intensive but good gourmet food, I would suggest any of Gordon Ramsay's books. This is NOT a Ramsay slam - he has some great stuff, but it is not your "get home from work and slap dinner together" fare.

I was searching around once, and did notice he does have some books out there that is geared towards getting good food together fast.

I was searching around once, and did notice he does have some books out there that is geared towards getting good food together fast.
As I said, I was not making any negative statements about Ramsay. I should have qualified further. My friend and her husband work different shifts and when they do get a day together they like to plan a special dinner they do together. I gave her one of Ramsay's books for her birthday last year and they have made several meals (some successful, some not). They plan the meal, each taking a part of it, shop together for their ingredients and take much of the day prepping and then finishing the meal. They love doing this!

I can't remember the name of the book, but I know it didn't say anything about fast though you are right, I have heard he has written a couple like that!

Last edited:
Julia Child's old French cookbook is an oldie but goodie in this regard. I haven't looked it up, but almost any recipe for cassoulet, boeuf bourgonion, coq au vin would really fit the bill, especially this time of year when hearty, body-and-soul-warming meals are great. The beef and chicken dishes can be eaten with the home-made pasta or a good crusty loaf of bread (which can be purchased or home made), all with an elegant salad and desert of choice. They are great company meals that can be stretched to feed any number of guests, packaged after dinner and frozen, or brought to friends who for whatever reason cannot cook much.

I think what you are looking for is, as I mentioned with my friends, not necessarily recipes that are a lot of work only, but ones that you can do together that stretch your cooking knowledge and give you something fantastic to show for your efforts (and enjoy eating of course). I think any of the "renowned" chefs like Julia Child, Ramsay, etc. (not Food Network chefs necessarily but classic chefs) are good for this.

Also look for cultural cookbooks that not only explain how to make a dish but give the origins and other interesting info. For me, this hightens the experience of the meal.

In addition to all the excellent suggestions you've received, see if you can find a copy of Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking"., which has a lot of dishes that are time-intensive.
Additionally on specific dishes, some others you might want to try are sauerbraten, duck confit, tomato gravy, feijoada, the Brazilian version of cassoulet, a long version paella, the Belgian Carbonnade a la flamande, the Italian very time intensive dish, timpano that was featured in the film "Big Night", Greek lamb kleftiko and the Alsace dish choucrout.
Any of or all of the above will keep you time-intensified for quite a while!

I have a Paul Prudhomme turducken recipe that I've been saving. My goal is to make it one time. Sadly, I'm the only one who's interested in eating it so it's facing an indefinite delay.

Andy, you make it and I would be more than happy to help you eat it! Honest and for true. I have thought about trying it but also do not have enough poultry fans around who would want to try it. :)

Food We've Made

We are on a gourmet pizza kick right now. We've made a pizza with roasted garlic, pound of caramelized shallots, and grayson cheese. We made another pizza with mascarpone/pesto base and shrimp. In the past we've hand-rolled gnocchi and made the pasta sauce, with sweet potato gnocchi and icing for a desert. We also got into risottos for a while.

To KathleenA,

I tried to reply, but don't think I did it correctly. We have made some gourmet pizzas, like a olive oil base, roasted garlic, caramelized shallots, grayson cheese pizza, a mascarpone/pesto base shrimp pizza. We also hand-rolled gnocchi, made our own sauce, and made sweet potato gnocchi with icing for desert. We made a mushroom risotto which was good too.

My girlfriend and I like to spend our saturdays making a really good meal that takes hours to make and like to do as much as we can from scratch. We will do multiple courses or make our own pasta noodles by hand while cooking the sauce and such. Does anyone know of any cookbooks or sites that offer recipes of this type? Are there any keywords that I can type in to a Google search? I try the word "gourmet" but that doesn't really help. Thanks.

Welcome to DC. I'm new, too.

If you love such recipes, may I recommend you and your friend consider "signature" dishes by some of the world's great chefs.

Saveurs du monde - Recettes Gourmandes

Top right-hand side of the page is "English" for translating purposes.

I've made the following and to great success:
Lemon Tarte by Raymond Blanc
Gingerbread by Jacques Thorel
Pumpkin Soup with Fourme d'Albert by Guy Savoy, Paris
Michel Guérard’s Poulet Sauté Au Vinaigre

I love French cuisine. It's a weakness of mine. Michel Guérard's cuisine is a favourite but is also a most courteous man, so vastly different from the foul-mouthed Gordon Ramsey.

The recipes are also graded from "Easy" to "Difficult", so you and your friend should be delighted with this recipe link. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom