"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-19-2010, 10:54 AM   #11
Head Chef

With the holidays coming up consider making Turducken Recipe : Paula Deen : Food Network

Old 10-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
With the holidays coming up consider making Turducken Recipe : Paula Deen : Food Network
I have a Paul Prudhomme turducken recipe that I've been saving. My goal is to make it one time. Sadly, I'm the only one who's interested in eating it so it's facing an indefinite delay.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #13
Head Chef

In addition to all the excellent suggestions you've received, see if you can find a copy of Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking"., which has a lot of dishes that are time-intensive.
Additionally on specific dishes, some others you might want to try are sauerbraten, duck confit, tomato gravy, feijoada, the Brazilian version of cassoulet, a long version paella, the Belgian Carbonnade a la flamande, the Italian very time intensive dish, timpano that was featured in the film "Big Night", Greek lamb kleftiko and the Alsace dish choucrout.
Any of or all of the above will keep you time-intensified for quite a while!
Old 10-19-2010, 06:24 PM   #14
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I have a Paul Prudhomme turducken recipe that I've been saving. My goal is to make it one time. Sadly, I'm the only one who's interested in eating it so it's facing an indefinite delay.
Andy, you make it and I would be more than happy to help you eat it! Honest and for true. I have thought about trying it but also do not have enough poultry fans around who would want to try it.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Food We've Made

We are on a gourmet pizza kick right now. We've made a pizza with roasted garlic, pound of caramelized shallots, and grayson cheese. We made another pizza with mascarpone/pesto base and shrimp. In the past we've hand-rolled gnocchi and made the pasta sauce, with sweet potato gnocchi and icing for a desert. We also got into risottos for a while.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

To KathleenA,

I tried to reply, but don't think I did it correctly. We have made some gourmet pizzas, like a olive oil base, roasted garlic, caramelized shallots, grayson cheese pizza, a mascarpone/pesto base shrimp pizza. We also hand-rolled gnocchi, made our own sauce, and made sweet potato gnocchi with icing for desert. We made a mushroom risotto which was good too.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:52 AM   #17
Cupcake

It sounds wonderful!
Old 10-24-2010, 11:19 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolie535 View Post
My girlfriend and I like to spend our saturdays making a really good meal that takes hours to make and like to do as much as we can from scratch. We will do multiple courses or make our own pasta noodles by hand while cooking the sauce and such. Does anyone know of any cookbooks or sites that offer recipes of this type? Are there any keywords that I can type in to a Google search? I try the word "gourmet" but that doesn't really help. Thanks.
Welcome to DC. I'm new, too.

If you love such recipes, may I recommend you and your friend consider "signature" dishes by some of the world's great chefs.

Saveurs du monde - Recettes Gourmandes

Top right-hand side of the page is "English" for translating purposes.

I've made the following and to great success:
Lemon Tarte by Raymond Blanc
Gingerbread by Jacques Thorel
Pumpkin Soup with Fourme d'Albert by Guy Savoy, Paris
Michel Guérard’s Poulet Sauté Au Vinaigre

I love French cuisine. It's a weakness of mine. Michel Guérard's cuisine is a favourite but is also a most courteous man, so vastly different from the foul-mouthed Gordon Ramsey.

The recipes are also graded from "Easy" to "Difficult", so you and your friend should be delighted with this recipe link.