"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-21-2006, 03:09 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Timing for multiple dishes in 1 oven?

How can I work this so all items are ready at the same time? I have only one oven.
- bread pudding: 325 degrees for 50 min
- spiral ham: 325 degrees for 50 min
- potato gratin: 350 degrees for 90 min

Old 11-21-2006, 03:20 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Could you make the bread pudding ahead of time and

just warm it after the ham comes out. The ham should stay hot for quite a while if you cover it. You can even cover the ham with aluminum foil and then put a towel or two on top of that.
You can put the ham and potatoes in at the same time, at 350 (I would put the ham in at 350 because 50 minutes at 325 just doesn't seem long enough if the ham is refrigerator cold). When the ham is done take it out, cover it and put the bread pudding in to warm while the potatoes finish cooking. You may want to cover the bread pudding loosely so it doesn't dry out.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:27 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

None of these items is particularly sensitive to minor variations in temperature.

Put the gratin into a 375F oven for 40 minutes, reduce the heat to 325F and add the other two items and cook all three for 50 minutes.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:54 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks Andy - this sounds like it'll work!
Old 11-21-2006, 05:59 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I would't worry overmuch about the 25 degree difference between the ham and the potatoes. Put the potatoes in first, then the ham. I also wouldn't want to cook the bread pudding in the oven with the ham and potatoes since I wouldn't want the aromas to interfere with the flavours. I'd put the bread pudding in the oven when I took the ham and potatoes out.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:03 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I agree with Vera. You're having the pudding for dessert anyway, no?

So let it cook while you are pouring the gravy and slicing that meat.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:50 PM   #7
Master Chef

I sometimes heat things to temperature in the microwave, which cuts down on oven time and makes it easier to get everything to the table at the right time. For example, tomorrow I will nuke the vegetable casserole until it is as hot as I want to serve it. Then, when the turkey comes out, it can go into the oven with the rolls on a higher temp so the top crisps along with the rolls, and everything comes out the right texture as well. I often do it with baked potatoes. Nuke them until almost cooked, then put in a very hot oven for a few minutes until the skin crisps. Luckily, as everyone else says, nothing you are cooking is really that temp/time sensitive. I think that timing all the dishes in a meal can be the hardest thing when it comes to cooking for a large group. Using a microwave oven to pre-heat the food, or re-heat something when it all goes south can be a lifesaver.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:25 PM   #8
Head Chef

Make the Bread Pudding ahead of time then put the potatoes and ham in at the same time - I really would not worry about the 25 degree difference.

All the food will come out just fine.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:55 AM   #9
Senior Cook

i can only wish that i had an oven big enough to even have this kind of problem.