"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-25-2008, 09:38 AM   #11
Executive Chef

No clock.

I try to time everything so they finish at the same time. Some things I can make ahead of time like mashed potatoes. You just don't want your sauteed asparagus waiting 10 minutes in the pan. When meat is resting is a good time to reheat prepared dishes or to quick saute certain things.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:46 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

That's what I did with the chicken last night, UB.... when I thought they were done, I stuck a thermometer in them to check. Somewhere inbetween 30 minutes and an hour

Old 08-25-2008, 09:55 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That's what I did with the chicken last night, UB.... when I thought they were done, I stuck a thermometer in them to check. Somewhere inbetween 30 minutes and an hour
Get yourself a note book...Take notes...write down what you liked, and didn't like....Note grill temperatures, was the chicken thighs (or whatever) just out of the fridge...or at room temperature. The more details the better...It's a great learning tool.....Mostly just...

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:48 PM   #14
Sous Chef

For casual cooking I guess. When I have guests - more formally, and with more food, I prepare a schedule in advance. It helps me keep on track.

Those of us that are healthy are blessed. There are others, relying on prescription meds, or are diabetic, or have other problems - there are those who will drink too much. When I can identify these people I'll say something like dinner will be served at 8pm so they can make their own adjustments. And dinner will be served at 8pm or very close to that.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:12 PM   #15
Master Chef

I just try to time things that I know will not take as long to prepare/cook. You know, like chicken will take an hour to roast, so no need in starting the veggies right away. I don't time things by clock, I go by feel. Sometimes I'm spot on... other times I'm fretting over something getting cold while we wait for something to finish up cooking.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Depends on who I'm cooking for or what I'm making.....
For a big extended family meal (on my side) I do because my mother CANNOT go without a complete itinerary... can you say OCD?
If its for just DH kids and I, I go by feel.... unless I'm feeling very distracted that day then I set a timer for certain things that I may forget while herding my monkeys..
Old 08-25-2008, 05:37 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

i do both on a regular basis. i note the time, but will shorten or length it according to feel.

babe
Old 08-25-2008, 07:29 PM   #18
Head Chef

I like to slow cook and slow roast for hours, so I don't measure time, except in 'all day'. Veggies and sides take less than an hour.

I use time when I bake, that's where I follow the temperature and time guidelines from recipes.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:32 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Usually, so much is happening at once I use all different methods. For most of my 'at home' cooking, I rarely see what time I start anything, so I have no idea when it's expected to be done. Usually, I'll just look at it and say 'we'll eat in half an hour' or make another round...
Old 08-27-2008, 11:35 AM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
...I do because my mother CANNOT go without a complete itinerary... can you say OCD?
Oh, how well I can relate to THAT scenario. My late MIL (God rest her soul) would lurk in the kitchen at 5:05 and make the statement "Is something wrong? I thought we were SCHEDULED to eat at 5:00?" Keep in mind there was usually less than 5 minutes to go when the statement was made. I guess the poor 80 year-old widow must have had a busy schedule that night, or just liked taking cheap shots at me for marrying her daughter 35 years earlier (I was not HER choice).