"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-09-2005, 02:39 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Tip for mixing custom spice blends....

Here's something I do when I'm mixing a spice blend up. To keep track of what I have put in, I dump the measured quantities of spice/herb into one small spot in the bowl. The next item gets dumped into a different spot. This is really helpful when you're mixing something that has a lot of different ingredients, like the Blackened Seasoning mix I'm making here:

Old 02-09-2005, 02:44 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
salt, garlic, cayenne, white and black pepper? It's really hard to tell.

So.........we need the recipe!!!!!

Good idea Allen

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 05:38 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Here you go!

Blackened Seasoning Mix

2 T paprika
5 t salt
2 t onion powder
2 t garlic powder
2 t cayenne
1 ½ t white pepper
½ t black pepper
1 t thyme
1 t oregano

Mix all ingredients well, and place in a shaker (I use a Parmesan cheese dispenser like the pizzerias use.). DO NOT breathe in the “dust cloud” while mixing the spices together!

When I took that picture, I hadn't added the thyme and oregano yet.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:50 PM   #4
Executive Chef

AllenMI, is that your reflection I see in the bowl, taking a picture? :) Reminded me of a joke I saw of a neked man's reflection (taking a picture) of an item he was selling on ebay. The warning said - e-bay sellers, don't forget to put your clothes on when taking photographs.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:10 PM   #5
Executive Chef

ROFL! Yes, that is me in there. It looks like the flash fired. I have a Sony Mavica FD-75, and the flash has three settings, Off, On, and "Fire when needed". I usually leave the flash off, but sometimes it gets set to the "fire when needed" setting. I'm not sure if it's a software glitch, the default settiing when the unit's activated, or if my kids are messing with my camera.

I remember that picture of the teapot on eBay. Heck, I may even have a copy of it somewhere on my main pc's HDD.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:29 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
ROFL! Yes, that is me in there. It looks like the flash fired. I have a Sony Mavica FD-75, and the flash has three settings, Off, On, and "Fire when needed". I usually leave the flash off, but sometimes it gets set to the "fire when needed" setting. I'm not sure if it's a software glitch, the default settiing when the unit's activated, or if my kids are messing with my camera.

I remember that picture of the teapot on eBay. Heck, I may even have a copy of it somewhere on my main pc's HDD.
LMAO - That's the one, that's the one, Allan. The man in the tea pot. I couldn't find it. IF you come across it, could you post it. First thing I thought of when I saw your reflection. :D (Knew there was a spicey joke in there some where.)