Tip for mixing custom spice blends....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Here's something I do when I'm mixing a spice blend up. To keep track of what I have put in, I dump the measured quantities of spice/herb into one small spot in the bowl. The next item gets dumped into a different spot. This is really helpful when you're mixing something that has a lot of different ingredients, like the Blackened Seasoning mix I'm making here:

spicemix0lc.jpg

salt, garlic, cayenne, white and black pepper? It's really hard to tell.

So.........we need the recipe!!!!! ;)

Good idea Allen

Here you go!

Blackened Seasoning Mix

2 T paprika
5 t salt
2 t onion powder
2 t garlic powder
2 t cayenne
1 ½ t white pepper
½ t black pepper
1 t thyme
1 t oregano

Mix all ingredients well, and place in a shaker (I use a Parmesan cheese dispenser like the pizzerias use.). DO NOT breathe in the “dust cloud” while mixing the spices together!

When I took that picture, I hadn't added the thyme and oregano yet.

AllenMI, is that your reflection I see in the bowl, taking a picture? :) Reminded me of a joke I saw of a neked man's reflection (taking a picture) of an item he was selling on ebay. The warning said - e-bay sellers, don't forget to put your clothes on when taking photographs. :shock:

ROFL! Yes, that is me in there. It looks like the flash fired. I have a Sony Mavica FD-75, and the flash has three settings, Off, On, and "Fire when needed". I usually leave the flash off, but sometimes it gets set to the "fire when needed" setting. I'm not sure if it's a software glitch, the default settiing when the unit's activated, or if my kids are messing with my camera.

I remember that picture of the teapot on eBay. Heck, I may even have a copy of it somewhere on my main pc's HDD.

AllenMI said:
ROFL! Yes, that is me in there. It looks like the flash fired. I have a Sony Mavica FD-75, and the flash has three settings, Off, On, and "Fire when needed". I usually leave the flash off, but sometimes it gets set to the "fire when needed" setting. I'm not sure if it's a software glitch, the default settiing when the unit's activated, or if my kids are messing with my camera.

I remember that picture of the teapot on eBay. Heck, I may even have a copy of it somewhere on my main pc's HDD.

LMAO - That's the one, that's the one, Allan. The man in the tea pot. I couldn't find it. IF you come across it, could you post it. First thing I thought of when I saw your reflection. :D (Knew there was a spicey joke in there some where.)

Back
Top Bottom