"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-28-2009, 04:16 AM   #101
Assistant Cook

Someone had mentioned WD-40 in one post and another person asked about the removal of "sticker" adhesive off of bowls.

WD-40 will work nicely for removing price mark stickers off most merchandise. Simply spray onto the label and let it penetrate the paper for a few minutes and then it should lift off, easily. Use more WD-40 to clean up any remaining residue.

On plastic labels or paper labels that have a coating that prevents the WE-40 from rapidly penetrating through the surface, pick up a corner and spray a little under that corner and keep working it using the WD-40 as a solvent to get more and more of the label up and then finish residue removal as previously mentioned.

PS, I used to be in the label business - worked for AVery Dennison for 29 years.

Jim

Old 08-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #102
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
the boric acid, sugar and water slurry seems to be working but just in case i got terro liquid trays.
msmofet, you don't need to use water with the boric acid and sugar. Just sprinkle a line or two around where you see the ants. They pick it up and carry it back for the queen. I use it all the time and it works so well. Also pet friendly. Our dog will eat anything and the vet assures me this is harmless to him.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #103
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
msmofet, you don't need to use water with the boric acid and sugar. Just sprinkle a line or two around where you see the ants. They pick it up and carry it back for the queen. I use it all the time and it works so well. Also pet friendly. Our dog will eat anything and the vet assures me this is harmless to him.
thank you no water just a 50/50 mix of boric acid and sugar? i also have been using those Tero ant trays.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:18 PM   #104
Chef Extraordinaire

the ants i have seem to be more interested in meat, and or drippings. they bypass cake on the counter. what's up with that.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:23 PM   #105
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
the ants i have seem to be more interested in meat, and or drippings. they bypass cake on the counter. what's up with that.
some ants are drawn to grease/savory and some have a sweet tooth. for the ones that go after the meat and grease you can mix boric acid with peanut butter or bacon drippings (fat) and that should take care of them. i also think the Tero ant trays work on both.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:33 AM   #106
Everymom

Sorry msmofet, just saw your question. Yes 50/50 boric acid and icing sugar. Works everytime. I had a terrible time with ants this summer. It was a record year here for them. I can ignore them outside for the most part but if they show up in my house its WAR!
Old 09-07-2009, 10:37 AM   #107
Head Chef

My biggest thing around here are fruit flies. Those suckers just don't want to die sometimes. If you have a fruit fly problem, slice a piece of banana (preferably ripe) and put it in a small bowl. Cover the bowl very tightly with plastic wrap and use a threading needle to poke tiny holes in the top. The fruit flies will go in, but they will not be able to go out. Leave it on the counter for a few hours and see the magic.

If there are no fruit flies in the bowl but they are still in your kitchen or hovering around the bowl, try making the holes a tad bit larger. But not too large, otherwise they will get out. A toothpick is too large.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #108
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Sorry msmofet, just saw your question. Yes 50/50 boric acid and icing sugar. Works everytime. I had a terrible time with ants this summer. It was a record year here for them. I can ignore them outside for the most part but if they show up in my house its WAR!
icing sugar? do you mean the super fine powdered/confectioners sugar (usually with cornstarch added) for dusting tops of desserts?
Old 09-07-2009, 10:53 AM   #109
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
My biggest thing around here are fruit flies. Those suckers just don't want to die sometimes. If you have a fruit fly problem, slice a piece of banana (preferably ripe) and put it in a small bowl. Cover the bowl very tightly with plastic wrap and use a threading needle to poke tiny holes in the top. The fruit flies will go in, but they will not be able to go out. Leave it on the counter for a few hours and see the magic.

If there are no fruit flies in the bowl but they are still in your kitchen or hovering around the bowl, try making the holes a tad bit larger. But not too large, otherwise they will get out. A toothpick is too large.
great tip! thank you
Old 09-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #110
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
icing sugar? do you mean the super fine powdered/confectioners sugar (usually with cornstarch added) for dusting tops of desserts?
My bag says icing sugar. No cornstarch, just powdered sugar.