"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #111
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
My bag says icing sugar. No cornstarch, just powdered sugar.
ok thanks. that will be messy that stuff flys easy!! LOL

Old 09-07-2009, 03:00 PM   #112
Master Chef

I just buy ant bait boxes. Most claim to be pet safe, but I do place them where my geriatric canine cannot reach (often her food is the attraction, but I have an appliance cart near her feeding area that she cannot get under, and place it under that). Some brands come 3 to a package and I place them where I've seen the ants and where I've seen them in the past (in the pantry, on a windowsill). I do this maybe twice a year. The weirdest thing about living here is I can never find the trail and trace it to an outdoor source (in FLorida I used to trace it to its outdoor source and spray that, just wiping up the ants that made it into the house). As with the boric acid, the ants don't die in the house, they take the bait back to the nest and kill the community. I used to use boric acid against roaches, but it can be messy.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #113
Assistant Cook

I am new to this site and would like to say hello. Another remedy for black ants is borax and sugar. Put it on small pieces of wax paper where they are getting in. They will drink it and take it back to the nest. No more ants. Also as crewsk said Skin so Soft does work for mosquitos but baby oil can clog up your skin.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #114
Sous Chef

For fruit flies......put some....maybe 1/2 cup cider vinegar in a shallow dish....add two or three drops of dishwashing detergent....stir.....watch those suckers go for it!!!!...LOL.....a day or two should do it....
Old 09-08-2009, 04:48 PM   #115
Assistant Cook

That's interesting Ella. My sister who lives in Burlington, Ont. gave me this recipe. 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup cider vinegar, squirt of dish soap and 1 teaspoon of sugar. It works really well but it sounds like your remedy is just as good!
Old 09-08-2009, 06:20 PM   #116
Sous Chef

Let me know what you think victoriabc
Old 08-05-2010, 02:43 PM   #117
Assistant Cook

Hello Claire,

To exterminate ants in the house, cut a few small pieces of cardboard into 1" squares and put a drop or two of ant exterminator killer spray on each placing the cardboard pieces around the kitchen or wherever the ants are seen. Three or four pieces are all that is needed. Be sure to place these cardboard pieces where pets and children cannot reach them. Boric acid is poisonous.

Ive found a good article with a video that helps to kill ants the natural way. Look here Killing Ants The Natural Way!
Old 11-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #118
Head Chef

Hi. I've been gone for a while, but would like to offer a couple of tips:

To avoid rust stains when storing aerosol cans, stand them upside down on their plastic lids, and

when baking, put the empty bag from the mix, or the butter wrapper beside the bowl for use as a spoon/spatula rest and discard when finished.

Thanks for the fruit fly remedies.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:16 PM   #119
Head Chef

To clean really grungy gas stove grates, stainless steel pans and outdoor grill grates get a large plastic bag. Insert the dirty things and pour in a cup of ammonia. Seal the bag very well and leave it outside overnight. Or sometimes I leave it in the bathtub. In the morning the grunge will wipe off. If it should be extremely (and I mean nuke level) grime do the treatment again. But I have never seen grime that this won't lift off. Caveat: this treatment may also lift special coatings on some pans.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #120
Cook

This is how i solve ants issue. We use clove. Pack your clove into small packet with holes. Leave it to places that is affected with ants. Less than 3 days... no more ants.