"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #131
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaverneFord View Post
When I have burned or stuck on foods I put a new dryer sheet in bottom and carefully cover sheet with water. Next day, clean as new.
I'll vouch for that one. It may even take a second day for severely burned on foods, but it really does work.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:10 PM   #132
Head Chef

I've tried that before but it didn't work for me. Boy I must have really torched the thing!

Old 01-29-2011, 12:24 PM   #133
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmac View Post
Here's another one.... in Singapore we used Pandan leave to repell cockroaches. Therefore if you ever sit in a Taxi in Singapore, you will see pandan leave in place everywhere in the taxi
What is pandan leave? I'm not familiar with this.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #134
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaZ View Post
What is pandan leave? I'm not familiar with this.
Maybe:

Pandan Leaves

Definition: Pandan is a herbaceous tropical plant with long green leaves. In Southeast Asia, pandan leaves are used to lend a unique taste and aroma to many Thai desserts and some drinks. Pandan leaves can also be used to wrap savory foods, such as chicken (see recipe links below). Pandan paste is used in cakes and desserts, as it is sweet and imbues foods with a bright green color. It can be purchased as a ready-to-use paste in Asian specialty stores. If purchased fresh, pandan leaves should be pounded into a paste for use in desserts, adding water sparingly.

Inserted from <http://thaifood.about.com/od/glossary/g/pandanleaf.htm>
Old 01-29-2011, 10:54 PM   #135
Senior Cook

Thanks msmofet - appreciate the information. I wonder if an Asian market would have it here in the US.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #136
Chef Extraordinaire

To keep white sugar from turning into to a rock of sugar:

Put 2-3 marshmellows in the container.

To keep brown sugar soft, put 2 prunes in the container.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #137
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
To keep white sugar from turning into to a rock of sugar:

Put 2-3 marshmellows in the container.

To keep brown sugar soft, put 2 prunes in the container.
Don't the fruits rot after a while?
Old 03-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #138
Master Chef

To get rid of a chili pepper burn out of your eye rub the eye with hair, your own or someone else's.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #139
Head Chef

I have a problem perhaps someone can help me with. I was going to dust off the light bulb in the 'spot' over the kitchen sink in my new (to me - really about a year now) house, and when I went to unscrew it found that the base is apparently rusty -- it failed to unscrew and the glass part came loose and separated from the base. The light still works, but now I have taped over the switch so I can't turn it on inadvertently - am not sure whether it is a fire hazard the way it is. I know to turn off the power to work on it (duh), but don't know how to get that stubborn base out. It's not an old-fashioned round bulb, but one of those flat-faced kind with a regular-sized base that are recessed in the ceiling. The house is 12 years old, so I'd bet the bulb has been there that long.

Questions? Suggestions (besides "Let sleeping dogs lie" in the first place - when will I learn)? TIA.

Lizzie
Old 03-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #140
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I have a problem perhaps someone can help me with. I was going to dust off the light bulb in the 'spot' over the kitchen sink in my new (to me - really about a year now) house, and when I went to unscrew it found that the base is apparently rusty -- it failed to unscrew and the glass part came loose and separated from the base. The light still works, but now I have taped over the switch so I can't turn it on inadvertently - am not sure whether it is a fire hazard the way it is. I know to turn off the power to work on it (duh), but don't know how to get that stubborn base out. It's not an old-fashioned round bulb, but one of those flat-faced kind with a regular-sized base that are recessed in the ceiling. The house is 12 years old, so I'd bet the bulb has been there that long.

Questions? Suggestions (besides "Let sleeping dogs lie" in the first place - when will I learn)? TIA.

Lizzie
First turn off the power at the electrical box.

WD-40 sprayed around the edge will help to loosen the grip the rust has on it.

Spray and leave it for a few hours, then use a pair of needlenose pliers to get a grip on the edge of the base and unscrew it. It can be a bit awkward but it has always worked for me.

HTH

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote