"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #151
Chef Extraordinaire

To clean soap scum off your glass shower doors, use fabric softner sheets it really cuts it.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:50 AM   #152
Head Chef

This maybe should go in the venting thread, but in my opinion consumers were sold a bill of goods so far as replacing a good old shower curtain with beautiful clear glass shower enclosures. How many hours are spent trying to keep them pristine or even decent-looking, I wonder. With Simon's hint, maybe not as many.

And the other day I noticed a new cleaning product on the supermarket shelf - one made especially for the new high-efficiency washers. Now that's not fair - plain old washers don't need a separate product to keep them clean.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:07 AM   #153
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
...How many hours are spent trying to keep them pristine or even decent-looking, ...

A quick spray with Scrubbing Bubbles and rinsing is all it takes. If it takes more than a minute it means you ran out of the spray. I much prefer any effort need to clean the glass over the billowing hassle of a shower curtain.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #154
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
A quick spray with Scrubbing Bubbles and rinsing is all it takes. If it takes more than a minute it means you ran out of the spray. I much prefer any effort need to clean the glass over the billowing hassle of a shower curtain.
And plastic shower curtains give off toxic fumes when they get heated by the hot water of the shower.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #155
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
And plastic shower curtains give off toxic fumes when they get heated by the hot water of the shower.
I find that hard to believe. Do you have anything to backup that claim?
Old 03-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #156
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
To clean soap scum off your glass shower doors, use fabric softner sheets it really cuts it.
Simon, thanks for this tip. We just bought a house that has shower doors in the bathroom. I hate the things because they are so hard to clean and can't afford to replace them. Hopefully this tip will make it easier to clean them.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #157
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'd have to agree with the Scrubbing Bubbles tip. It's so easy to use, just spray and wipe. Easy and effective.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #158
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
This maybe should go in the venting thread, but in my opinion consumers were sold a bill of goods so far as replacing a good old shower curtain with beautiful clear glass shower enclosures. How many hours are spent trying to keep them pristine or even decent-looking, I wonder. With Simon's hint, maybe not as many.

And the other day I noticed a new cleaning product on the supermarket shelf - one made especially for the new high-efficiency washers. Now that's not fair - plain old washers don't need a separate product to keep them clean.
A friend of mine who was a "professional" house cleaner taught me two tricks: one, was to use boat (marine) wax on your shower walls (lasts about 3 months with 2 people in the house) and the other was to clean the shower door with a product that removes all the residue, rinse with vinegar, and then to oil the door with lemon oil (furniture oil). I no longer have a glass shower door, but I still wax my shower stall...and it WORKS. I have used paste car wax, boat wax, and even liquid wax. Yes, it involves elbow grease (I use my Shark steamer to clean the shower and get the old wax off), but it WORKS. The one product I have always liked for getting rid of hard-water rust is ZUD. Can't get it here, but I bring it back from the States whenever I go.

Oh--I use a squeegee after each shower--I spray the walls with vinegar and water and then squeeqee them. The wax lasts about 2-3 months.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #159
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We drink a lot of iced tea here in the South, which means I brew a lot of tea in our house. It's been years since I've had to fish tea bags out of my pitcher because of what I do.

I have a bamboo skewer (the kind for kabobs) that I use to tie the tea bag strings onto before putting them into the pitcher. Then, I simply bridge the opening of the pitcher with the skewer, pour the hot water in and let the tea steep. When it's through steeping I lift the skewer, with the tea bags, away from the pitcher and ditch the tea bags. Works like a charm.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #160
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I haven't had soap scum in any shower, with or without doors, in over a dozen years and I haven't cleaned those showers in as many years. We, faithfully, use something called Clean Shower. Has worked like a charm on all types of our shower surfaces, including glass doors and we don't squeegee or anything. I love, love, love it.