"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #171
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
There is a danger here. The chopped garlic in oil is a breeding ground for Botulism, which can be fatal.

Yes, you can buy it in the stores but the manufacturers are able to process the food in a way you cannot. Garlic in oil should not be kept beyond about 10 days refrigerated.
Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know! I was just planning on doing that in the house, but I guess it's ok to do that for small quantities, like for the next three days or something.. Thanks for the advice Andy!

Old 04-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #172
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie1945 View Post
Hi Karen. Welcome to DC.

Josie
Thanks Josie!!! Looking forward to learning a lot and contributing what I know here.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #173
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefkaren View Post
Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know! I was just planning on doing that in the house, but I guess it's ok to do that for small quantities, like for the next three days or something.. Thanks for the advice Andy!

Glad to help. We like to keep new members around for a while.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:22 PM   #174
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
tinlizzie, you don't need any of that cleaning product for your washer. Just dump a couple cups of vinegar into your washer and run it like that. Remember to leave the door open between loads so nothing icky starts smelling in there.
I'll bet someone with a spankin' new machine will be happy to see your tips. I still have a perfectly usable old washer (which smells fine) and was just kvetching. Think I'll complain some more. Just when I find a type of Tide that I like (well, that's what my Mom always used), they go and change the formula, size, color, etc. It takes me 15 minutes to decide on what to buy this time, reading through all the types. That's where I saw the newest stuff.

Thanks anyway for the helpful answer.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:27 AM   #175
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I heard what sounded like a good idea on TV. If you don't want to have to open a bottle of wine for cooking, keep a bottle of dry vermouth and use that instead of wine. The vermouth can sit around open for a long time without going off.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #176
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I heard what sounded like a good idea on TV. If you don't want to have to open a bottle of wine for cooking, keep a bottle of dry vermouth and use that instead of wine. The vermouth can sit around open for a long time without going off.

Yes, this is a good one. I think Julia said it some time ago.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:50 AM   #177
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Another thing you can do with left over wine is to put it in ice cube trays, freeze the tray, pop the cubes in a zippie, and then you have wine for tossing in stocks, etc. I've done this with leftover small quantities of red or white wine and it has worked fine. Or, you can leave the cork off and it will eventually become like vinegar and you can use it as wine vinegar.

I've been known to toss a white wine cube in a glass of seltzer or in a wine cooler...
Old 04-05-2011, 09:58 AM   #178
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Another thing you can do with left over wine is to put it in ice cube trays, freeze the tray, pop the cubes in a zippie, and then you have wine for tossing in stocks, etc. I've done this with leftover small quantities of red or white wine and it has worked fine. Or, you can leave the cork off and it will eventually become like vinegar and you can use it as wine vinegar.

I've been known to toss a white wine cube in a glass of seltzer or in a wine cooler...

Good idea. I also like your word, "zippie" it's a good word to use instead of baggie, or zip bag, or resealable bag.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:08 AM   #179
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't know if s/one has mentioned freezing cheese...when cheese is on special (and if I have room in the freezer), I will buy bricks of it. I cut it into chunks that will fit in the feed tube of my foodprocessor, pop the chunks in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes, and then run it through the food processor using the grater blade. Sometimes I will add dried hot pepper flakes, herbs, jalapeno pepper to it as I grate it. Then I freeze it in one or two cup portions in zippies. By adding the pepper flakes or herbs, I have "flavored" grated cheese to use for tacos, taco salad, etc. without having to pay the higher prices for cheese with the flavors added. I try to use it up within 2-3 months. Which is about the cycle re: when cheese goes on special.

I was going to start a spreadsheet this year to track when things go on special, because it is usually about every 12-16 weeks, but I forgot. Has anyone done that--tracked when sugar, cheese, etc., goes on special in their area?
Old 04-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #180
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post

I like the freezer and wine cooler ideas. I have used frozen chunks of red current juice in white wine for a nice cooler.

The problem with leaving it sit in an open bottle is that there is no guarantee it won't just go bad instead of turning into vinegar. At my house, an open wine bottle would probably collect cat hair