"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #181
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I like the freezer and wine cooler ideas. I have used frozen chunks of red current juice in white wine for a nice cooler.

The problem with leaving it sit in an open bottle is that there is no guarantee it won't just go bad instead of turning into vinegar. At my house, an open wine bottle would probably collect cat hair
And at my house, it is going to collect Saint Bernard hair...so I freeze what's left and use it later.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:45 PM   #182
Chef Extraordinaire

this is more about saving time than anything else. before i leave a room in my house, i look around for anything that should be in another room. sometimes i only take it half way and move the rest of way later. everything ends up where it belongs and i have saved time and energy. course could be because i am lazy.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #183
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
this is more about saving time than anything else. before i leave a room in my house, i look around for anything that should be in another room. sometimes i only take it half way and move the rest of way later. everything ends up where it belongs and i have saved time and energy. course could be because i am lazy.
Sounds like how I do it. I just keep moving the things that don't belong in the direction it has to go. Everything gets where it belongs sooner rather than later, and things stay relatively neat.

Being lazy is a good thing IMO. I'll work extra hard just to save a step or two, but it ends up with being more efficient.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #184
Chef Extraordinaire

And this is why everything that needs to go upstairs gets parked on the landing/steps. Before DH gets here, I have to run everything upstairs <g>.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #185
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
And this is why everything that needs to go upstairs gets parked on the landing/steps. Before DH gets here, I have to run everything upstairs <g>.
We both do that, both for the stairs up and the stairs down. Next person going the right way grabs it.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #186
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Here's a tip I figured out about a week ago. If you make stock or other stuff that you want to put in the fridge hot, for safety reasons, put it in a canning jar. Lids tend to vacuum seal themselves when you put hot food in the fridge. The two part canning lids (I save the used ones for non-canning use) are easier to get off than other types of lids, when vacuum sealed.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #187
Head Chef

Quote:
I was going to start a spreadsheet this year to track when things go on special, because it is usually about every 12-16 weeks, but I forgot. Has anyone done that--tracked when sugar, cheese, etc., goes on special in their area?
I freeze Kraft cheese in chunks, once a year, all kinds of it go on sale for $2/lb (unbelievable I know).
Another way to freeze it shredded, toss in a little cornstarch so it doesn't stick together, though it melts nice with the cornstarch. Sandwiches, fondue, sauces.

I use a notebook and keep receipts--to see if a SALE is really a SALE. Cheese is usually never under $3/lb. Prices, dates and location. Last year I found cream cheese on sale for $1/lb.....not since. ($0.50/8 oz blocks)

I haven't seen a good deal on sugar in 10 months.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #188
Executive Chef

Those of us who have grown older tend to have more family and friends who have dentures, so when I prepare dishes for others, I tend to make them denture friendly - no tough steak or meats; no large overstuffed sandwiches; nothing with seeds or nuts. But when possible, I make casseroles or dishes that are normally served bite-sized. That's one reason I like Japanese food - finger or chop stick sized.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #189
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I freeze Kraft cheese in chunks, once a year, all kinds of it go on sale for $2/lb (unbelievable I know).
Another way to freeze it shredded, toss in a little cornstarch so it doesn't stick together, though it melts nice with the cornstarch. Sandwiches, fondue, sauces.

I use a notebook and keep receipts--to see if a SALE is really a SALE. Cheese is usually never under $3/lb. Prices, dates and location. Last year I found cream cheese on sale for $1/lb.....not since. ($0.50/8 oz blocks)

I haven't seen a good deal on sugar in 10 months.
I never heard about the cornstarch--how much do you add per #?
Old 04-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #190
Head Chef

Quote:
I never heard about the cornstarch--how much do you add per #?
Just a tablespoon per pound.