"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #211
Chef Extraordinaire

My DH accuses me of "losing" things in the freezer. I now have whiteboard markers (with magnets attached) for each of the freezers. He doesn't think this will help, but I'm going to do my annual "clean out the freezer" activity while I'm at my parents and will be writing on the lid or front of the freezer what is in it--I'm going to use red for "use soon" and green/blue for everything else. I'll leave a blue/green marker for my dad to use when adding things to the freezer. Next time one of us goes out, we'll see if this helped. The magnetic white board I put on the fridge last summer does get used...maybe this will help with the freezer inventory process.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #212
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks for the reminder, CWS. I need to take a new inventory now that the freezer is more under control.

I really got carried away for awhile there and have spent the last month working on cleaning it up.

It's really hard sometimes, because you take out one item, add a bunch of stuff from the cabinet, and you end up putting back more than you take out. LOL

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #213
Chef Extraordinaire

You're lucky you only have ONE. We have nine freezers plus the "flash freeze" freezer! Yeah--I do lose things in the freezer--but not like my parents' freezers--those are akin to an archeological dig!
Old 07-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #214
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I may have to move a magnet or two to use the white board idea.
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #215
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
You're lucky you only have ONE. We have nine freezers plus the "flash freeze" freezer! Yeah--I do lose things in the freezer--but not like my parents' freezers--those are akin to an archeological dig!
Nine freezers! Good grief, that would totally stress me out! Do you live far from civilization or are there a lot of hunters in your family? When my dh and I first got together he complained that his freezer was too full. Well no wonder, he had umpteen quarts of frozen strawberries in there. They were 20 years old! That man will not get rid of anything...which is probably why we are still married ;)
Old 07-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #216
Chef Extraordinaire

No--we have 3000+ square feet of veggie gardens...and we freeze stuff rather than can. And, we feed our dogs RAW diet so we have dog meat in one freezer. These are not BIG freezers--most are small. We unplug them as we empty them throughout the year. And one of the freezers is a "flash" freezer, so we only plug that in during harvest time to flash freeze the veggies. Oh, and we usually have 3 acres of sweet corn, but that didn't get planted this year because of the rain. And, that isn't counting the freezers that are on top of the 4 fridges...
Old 07-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #217
Chef Extraordinaire

PF--use the side for the whiteboard, that's what I did with my parents' fridge. Or, skip the whiteboard and just write on the side of the fridge with a whiteboard marker (test it first to make sure it erases from the surface). If you've got that much stuff on your fridge, a little scribbling won't matter.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #218
Head Chef

Quote:
No--we have 3000+ square feet of veggie gardens...and we freeze stuff rather than can. And, we feed our dogs RAW diet so we have dog meat in one freezer. These are not BIG freezers--most are small. We unplug them as we empty them throughout the year. And one of the freezers is a "flash" freezer, so we only plug that in during harvest time to flash freeze the veggies. Oh, and we usually have 3 acres of sweet corn, but that didn't get planted this year because of the rain. And, that isn't counting the freezers that are on top of the 4 fridges...
I am green with envy over your garden space. The house we just bought has about 100 square feet that gets regular sun. I guess we will be limited to a few tomato plants from here on out unless we can get into a community garden. Where did you get your flash freezer? I have never heard of one for home use. Are you finding it effective?
Old 07-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #219
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
PF--use the side for the whiteboard, that's what I did with my parents' fridge. Or, skip the whiteboard and just write on the side of the fridge with a whiteboard marker (test it first to make sure it erases from the surface). If you've got that much stuff on your fridge, a little scribbling won't matter.
That's where my pot holders and dish towels hang...also, it's textured. I'm thinking of painting the inside of the pantry door with black board paint.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:44 PM   #220
Chef Extraordinaire

Good idea PF!

I got the flash freezer from my friend who was the professional pastry chef. I can ask her where she got it. It has coils on the shelves so that things freeze quickly.

I imagine she got it a restaurant supply place (hmmm...there's a restaurant supply place where my parents live...maybe I should drop in this time...I'm sure I could find something I NEED).

And I love the flash freezer. Everyone who freezes veggies from the garden should have one.