"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-03-2011, 03:02 AM   #231
Assistant Cook

- Keep a conversion table handy by sticking it to the inside of your kitchen cupboard door to be used as a quick reference
- Spice lovers can add whole green chili’s to their family meals. When whole, the chill doesn’t permeate throughout dish, so simply serve the chili to those who want some spice and they can chop it finely and mix it through their meal

Old 10-03-2011, 06:19 AM   #232
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Not sure if this is the right place or not but, try toasting either walnuts or pecans in butter and garlic powder for a delicious treat in a green salad. They are yummy.
kades
Am loving this tip, never tried it but I can tell that if I do I will have to do it all the time. Salads will never be the same again just better

Old 10-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #233
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymealsandcookingtips View Post
- - Spice lovers can add whole green chiliís to their family meals. When whole, the chill doesnít permeate throughout dish, so simply serve the chili to those who want some spice and they can chop it finely and mix it through their meal
This strikes me as a really good idea. Maybe now I can have a little spice in my meals. My family is so "white bread" that even green peppers are too much for them.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #234
Cook

Here is a tip

For a creamy and most delicious risotto, use philly cream cheese (2 TBSP) instead of butter for the mantecata at the end before the parmigiano. The risotto will be beckoning angels of good taste...
Old 02-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #235
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
The problem with leaving it sit in an open bottle is that there is no guarantee it won't just go bad instead of turning into vinegar. At my house, an open wine bottle would probably collect cat hair
A piece of cheesecloth held in place with a small elastic over the opening will solve that problem.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #236
Chef Extraordinaire

To keep those delicate fingers safe from the sharpess of your microplane, seal off one end of an empty paper towel roll, with duct tape or other kind. Store your microplane in it. Use a toilet paper roll for smaller items like peelers and other items that have blades.

Store your small kitchen items like measuring spoons, melon scoop and other hard-to-find items in a small plastic container or baggie.

Keep an Aloe plant in your home. Snipping off the end will help prevent pain, intching and infection from minor burns and insect bites. Squeeze the gel from the cut end. Nature's miracle drug.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #237
Chef Extraordinaire

Use Scrubbie Bubbles to clean cabinet fronts in the kitchen. Removes grease with ease. Also use it on appliances.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #238
Chief Eating Officer

My new favorite cleaning tool (I know I am late to the party with this one) is the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I find the original one works the best for me. I use them to clean everything, but my favorite use is the stove. It makes the messiest clean up jobs as simple as just wiping down.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #239
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
My new favorite cleaning tool (I know I am late to the party with this one) is the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I find the original one works the best for me. I use them to clean everything, but my favorite use is the stove. It makes the messiest clean up jobs as simple as just wiping down.
Careful using it on painted surfaces. It's an abrasive and can leave shiny spots or worse on a painted wall.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #240
Chief Eating Officer

yep I learned that the hard way Andy. The first time I used one I was cleaning scuff marks on my freshly painted wall. I was working a spot realy good and it just was not getting clean. I finally realized that the spot was gone a long time ago and I was just removing paint and making the spot bigger. That is the only time I had an issue with it, but I do keep that lesson in my mind all the time now when using those.