"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #251
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I'm an instruction manual "freak." I still have the user's manuals from some of my electronics/appliances from the late '60s. But...I also have the item it belongs to.

However, now that we have this thing called the Internet, if I lose a guide I can usually download it from it's manufacturer's site or somewhere else.

What I did several years ago was to create a folder for "Instruction Manuals" in my documents file. Every time I get a new tool/appliance/electronic device I immediately download it's user's guide and file it away. I title the guide with the maker's name and the model number of the item.

This ensures that if I ever misplace a guide or it gets destroyed, I have one on my computer to replace it or to refer to if and when necessary.
I do this as well, and not just with kitchen gadgets.

It really annoys me when a manufacture wants to charge for a downloadable copy... yeah... $5 to download the manual. Grrr....

Old 05-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #252
Chief Eating Officer

I do the exact same thing. I even use the same naming convention Katie.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #253
Chef Extraordinaire

I go through my manual file about once a year. I have the manual for just about everything in my home. I also keep the receipts until the warranty expires.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #254
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I used one on the tubs and shower after we bought this place. Even though they didn't LOOK filthy, it was amazing how much soap scum and crap came off the tubs.
I'll one up that, I use a liquid car wax after I clean the shower stall and tub. I don't wax the bottom of the tub (it is fiberglass) or the bottom the the shower stall (it is concrete). After each shower, I wipe the walls down and I don't have to really clean the shower walls again until the wax wears off--3-4 months. The shower stall is so shiny, it reflects the facets.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #255
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I do this as well, and not just with kitchen gadgets.

It really annoys me when a manufacture wants to charge for a downloadable copy... yeah... $5 to download the manual. Grrr....
Yes, Frank, mine aren't limited to cooking tools. Anything/everything that has a user's guide is fair game.

I, too, find it ridiculous that a maker will ask for a fee to download their instructions. I've never paid for one and never will.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #256
Chef Extraordinaire

I keep all the manuals and receipts (stapled to the manual) for everything. When I "recycle" something, I can include the manual (minus the receipt).
Old 05-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #257
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I keep all the manuals and receipts (stapled to the manual) for everything. When I "recycle" something, I can include the manual (minus the receipt).
Same here. Buck was invariably amazed that when we had yard sales and I put appliances, etc. out for sale they always had their corresponding instruction manual. Just made sense to me.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #258
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

All my manuals are stuck in a drawer...yes, I know where they are and I know what we have.

What floored me was finding out the user manuals for equipment at work was not available for the staff on the floor. They were in the building managers office and he was only in a couple of times a month. I had them delivered to me and I made copies of everything and built files for each unit. Now the manuals come to me first so I can keep them up.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #259
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
All my manuals are stuck in a drawer...yes, I know where they are and I know what we have.

What floored me was finding out the user manuals for equipment at work was not available for the staff on the floor. They were in the building managers office and he was only in a couple of times a month. I had them delivered to me and I made copies of everything and built files for each unit. Now the manuals come to me first so I can keep them up.
That sounds like typical sr. management logic--leave them where the people who need them are, and the manuals might get misplaced....keep them locked up, and they won't get misplaced. Sounds as if you found the common-sense solution, PF.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #260
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
That sounds like typical sr. management logic--leave them where the people who need them are, and the manuals might get misplaced....keep them locked up, and they won't get misplaced. Sounds as if you found the common-sense solution, PF.
Now you know why I carry a screwdriver in my pocket... I'm the fixit person if maintenance isn't around.