"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #271
Chef Extraordinaire

Two things our apartments are lacking. Dishwashers and stoves with self-cleaning ovens. I dont miind the lack of a dishwasher, but the self cleaning oven is what I need most. From what I understand, most of the residents do not clean their ovens. They just let them go until they smoke enough to set off the fire alarms. Then the office sends in someone to clean their oven for them. It cost the office $300 in fines every time the alarms go off when there is no fire. I just keep a large aluminum disposable tray on the bottom and toss it when it gets too dirty.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #272
Head Chef

The bottle top/screw-on cap combo is a great idea!

I know there are chip clips of all sorts to be had, but I have lots of those springy "government clips" left over from an office that is no more. They can be bought in several different sizes at an office supply and are really handy indoors and out. When I open a new box of cereal, I fold down the inside bag and add a clip before reclosing the top. Another example: I have a couple of pieces of shade cloth that I use when plants need temporary protection from the sun -- set a circle of wire fencing around the tender plant(s), lay the cloth across, and and clip on until no longer needed.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #273
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
The bottle top/screw-on cap combo is a great idea!

I know there are chip clips of all sorts to be had, but I have lots of those springy "government clips" left over from an office that is no more. They can be bought in several different sizes at an office supply and are really handy indoors and out. When I open a new box of cereal, I fold down the inside bag and add a clip before reclosing the top. Another example: I have a couple of pieces of shade cloth that I use when plants need temporary protection from the sun -- set a circle of wire fencing around the tender plant(s), lay the cloth across, and and clip on until no longer needed.
I used to bring them home all the time from the office. I love them. They are called Acco Clips. Or binder clips. You can get them at Staples or any office supply store. Or better still, do you know someone who works in an office.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #274
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I used to bring them home all the time from the office. I love them. They are called Acco Clips. Or binder clips. You can get them at Staples or any office supply store. Or better still, do you know someone who works in an office.
Clothes pins work well too.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #275
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.

Clothes pins work well too.
Yep. Always bring a couple clothes pins in the vacation kit. Along with a wine stopper, a rubber jar opener mat that can be used as an emergency sink stopper, and bug spray.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #276
Chef Extraordinaire

As some of you may recall, I'm a wee bit obsessive about the kitchen. I am roasting tomatoes (again) today. It occurred to me that the fact I have cardboard templates for all the bakeware that I may want to line with parchment paper is a bit obsessive. However, what I do when I get a new pan is make a cardboard template that fits in the inside (not always perfectly, but close--see I'm not THAT obsessive). I store the pan with it's template inside. When I want to line the pan with parchment, I can quickly cut a piece of parchment paper to fit. Easy-peasy (this probably stems from a pattern-making course I took where we made cardboard templates of standard pattern shapes...).
Old 08-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #277
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I received this link from my cabbie friend in Florida. Some really clever tips:

House Hacks - Imgur

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #278
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
As some of you may recall, I'm a wee bit obsessive about the kitchen. I am roasting tomatoes (again) today. It occurred to me that the fact I have cardboard templates for all the bakeware that I may want to line with parchment paper is a bit obsessive. However, what I do when I get a new pan is make a cardboard template that fits in the inside (not always perfectly, but close--see I'm not THAT obsessive). I store the pan with it's template inside. When I want to line the pan with parchment, I can quickly cut a piece of parchment paper to fit. Easy-peasy (this probably stems from a pattern-making course I took where we made cardboard templates of standard pattern shapes...).
I love that idea, thanks CWS!
Old 08-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #279
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I love that idea, thanks CWS!
Glad you like the idea. It stems from my OCDedness. But, I'm okay if the parchment paper isn't a perfect fit. Because I cut the parchment paper on the counter, I grab three-four jars/cans out of the cupboard to use as weights to weigh the corners of the template down on top of the parchment paper (when cutting a rectangle, square). I like to be efficient.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #280
Chef Extraordinaire

Another one of my supposed OCD tendencies (according to the DH and my best friend--who is more OCD than I am--but her husband does all the cooking and grocery shopping) is that when I'm putting the groceries on the conveyer belt and when I'm bagging groceries, I put all the stuff that gets put away together in the same bag/box. I hate having s/one else bag/box my groceries. I don't want stuff put where it fits, I want it where it belongs when I get it home. I can haul the bag that has "bathroom stuff" to the bathroom, "basement stuff" to the basement, put the stuff that goes in the fridge away, the stuff that goes in the "ziplock, etc." drawer away. It drives the DH crazy at the store--but once home, it sure makes putting stuff away a quick process. It always made logical sense to me...pack like stuff with like stuff.