"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-23-2013, 12:54 AM   #311
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Can you just leave it on the bed and fold it up with the whole thing, or is it too bulky? With our sofa bed, we can just fold everything up in it.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #312
Head Chef

Muchas gracias, clever people! It never entered my mind to put it on my own bed. And the space-air-squash thing apparently needs looking into before I dismiss it out of hand. Can't help wondering if Chief will give up that easily...

Old 03-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #313
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Muchas gracias, clever people! It never entered my mind to put it on my own bed. And the space-air-squash thing apparently needs looking into before I dismiss it out of hand. Can't help wondering if Chief will give up that easily...
If you can't fold it into the Davenport (anybody here remember that name for a folding sofa-bed?), and you can't put it into a space bag, you could maybe fold it in quarters, lengthwise, then roll it, like you would a sleeping bag. This would make it more compact and easy to store.

Honestly, the idea of folding it into the sofa is a good one. Just make sure that the topper is very clean. If someone were to eat on the bed, and the foam had any leftover food crumbs on it, they would be folded into the bed for an extended period of time, and could get smelly. I'm hard pressed to come up with a better plan.

As for the air bag, atmospheric pressure is very powerful. As I recall, you use a vacuum cleaner to extract most of the air from whatever is in the bag. The foam mattress will squish pretty darn flat.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #314
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
If you can't fold it into the Davenport (anybody here remember that name for a folding sofa-bed?), and you can't put it into a space bag, you could maybe fold it in quarters, lengthwise, then roll it, like you would a sleeping bag. This would make it more compact and easy to store.

Honestly, the idea of folding it into the sofa is a good one. Just make sure that the topper is very clean. If someone were to eat on the bed, and the foam had any leftover food crumbs on it, they would be folded into the bed for an extended period of time, and could get smelly. I'm hard pressed to come up with a better plan.

As for the air bag, atmospheric pressure is very powerful. As I recall, you use a vacuum cleaner to extract most of the air from whatever is in the bag. The foam mattress will squish pretty darn flat.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
My grandmother always used the term "davenport", hadn't heard that in years!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #315
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post

My grandmother always used the term "davenport", hadn't heard that in years!
Mine too!
Old 03-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #316
Chef Extraordinaire

In my part of the woods, it has always been a sofa or couch.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #317
Certified Pretend Chef

An interesting fact: Davenport (sofa) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Davenport is the name of a series of sofas made by the now-defunct Massachusetts furniture manufacturer A. H. Davenport Company. Due to the popularity of the furniture at the time, the name "Davenport" has become a genericized trademark, like Kleenex.

I had no idea it was anything other than another name for a sofa, couch, divan.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #318
Master Chef

Put it between the base and mattress of your own bed. Will make your bed slightly higher but won't be visible. That's what I do anyway.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #319
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I was reminded of this trick as I took a capsule of medication this morning.

Many people have difficulty getting a "capsule" not a caplet of medication to go down easily. What most folks don't realize is that a capsule can't be taken like any other solid pill. Let me explain.

Capsules are made of a substance that is solid-like when stored, inside the capsule is medication that has been turned into powdered form. When these types of medications are manufactured, they are filled, then the two halves are pushed together to form the "whole." In so doing, a tiny bit of air is trapped inside which, in effect, is a bubble.

So....to swallow a capsule more easily, instead of popping it into your mouth and throwing your head back with a gulp of water, tilt your head forward and down slightly. The little bubble in the capsule will try to force the capsule to the top of the water in your mouth which, by now is at the roof of your mouth. Quickly swallow and the capsule will bob on down your throat.

Try it. It makes swallowing capsules soooo much easier.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #320
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Always tip your head forward to swallow. This is what is taught by Speech Therapists if you have swallowing problems.