"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #331
Head Chef

Bye bye foam topper -- it's now resting between the mattress & box springs on my bed. I'll have to get a ladder to get into this two-story bed, and I'm thinking about telling my daughter to forget her visit later this year; it'll be too much trouble to get the topper out again. Or maybe I'll just send her to a hotel. I know that not getting to sleep on the sofabed would break her heart.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #332
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Bye bye foam topper -- it's now resting between the mattress & box springs on my bed. I'll have to get a ladder to get into this two-story bed, and I'm thinking about telling my daughter to forget her visit later this year; it'll be too much trouble to get the topper out again. Or maybe I'll just send her to a hotel. I know that not getting to sleep on the sofabed would break her heart.
You could always get the topper out together. I'm sure she wouldn't mind.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #333
Head Chef

Thanks, Chops. That's probably how it'll work out.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #334
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
The price of a visit is helping to get the topper out and putting it back before she leaves.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #335
Head Chef

You got that right, PF. (and I hadn't thought about having her help me before she leaves -- you're on the ball, fer sher.)
Old 03-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #336
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
You got that right, PF. (and I hadn't thought about having her help me before she leaves -- you're on the ball, fer sher.)
When we visited my mother in law, I always took the sheets off the sofa bed the last morning, popped them in the washer, dryer and remade the bed, closing it up and putting her study back in order before we left. She said I was the most thoughtful person she ever had stay with her and then she told my Mom the same thing when Mom stayed with her.

An aside, those two worked together before Shrek and I ever met, so they got along great. Wasn't ever allowed to do MIL jokes...
Old 05-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #337
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Been conducting a little experiment the last 10 days or so. First some background.

We have a large 3-car wide by 2-car deep concrete driveway pad at the front of our house at the end of the long rock driveway. The pad consists of 6 large concrete sections with expansion cracks between each section, which equates to one long crack spanning all three areas, and two shorter divisions between the 3-car widths.

It has always been a problem and a chore trying to manage the vegetation that tries to grow amid the cracks. In fact, in recent years it's become Glenn's purpose in life to conquer the situation.

We"ll...I've had some friends tell me that they've had quite good results with a homemade version of Round-Up. Yep, we've tried that but it wasn't too effective, plus it's not environmentally good and certainly isn't good to have around living breathing critters, and it's expensive. Hmmmm?

Okay, I decided a little bit ago to give the homemade stuff a try but was quite skeptical because the ingredients seemed so, um, "simple." Wow! After my little test, I'm a believer.

In a large bowl or pitcher, mix 4 cups of white vinegar (minimum of 5% acidity), 1/4 cup iodized table salt, and a tablespoon of liquid dish-washing detergent (such as Dawn). Stir until the salt dissolves. I heated about a cup or so of the vinegar to facilitate dissolving the salt, which helped a bit but what really helped was adding the Dawn. It changes the viscosity of the solution and the salt becomes suspended in it. The Dawn is also there so that the liquid will adhere to the foliage of whatever you want to kill.

Put in a spray bottle and spray liberally on the leaves of your "target" and at the base. As with Round-Up, do this when there's no risk of rain. Within 24 hours I saw a marked decline in the vegetation and after another 24 hours and another dose of spray, my idea (also known in our house as the sledge hammer approach), I was home free.

I have sprayed my butt off and have barely used any of the solution and there's not a blade of green anywhere in the driveway space.

Here's how it works. The vinegar weakens the foliage and the salt makes the ground unfit for the roots to grow/live. In days gone by, pillagers and plunderers would cover their enemies' fields with salt to weaken them further because they'd be unable to grow food, etc., which gives further credence to why the weed killer should work.

Anyhoooo, I'm sold on this stuff. It's that time of the year for many of us, so you might want to give it a whirl.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #338
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
...I have sprayed my butt off...
It works on that, too???
Old 05-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #339
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
It works on that, too???
Oh, that it would......

However, I haven't tried it on that. Hmmmmm........................... Looks like more research is necessary.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #340
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Oh, that it would......

However, I haven't tried it on that. Hmmmmm........................... Looks like more research is necessary.
Maybe we've discovered something...