"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #341
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Maybe we've discovered something...

If only...

Old 05-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #342
Chef Extraordinaire

In the winter they spray the streets with sand and salt. It snows again on top of that mixture, the plows come along and push the old sand and salt to the side of the road. As a result after years of being salted there is no growth along the immediate side of the shoulder. And if there is no shoulder, there is after all the salting over the years. the snow melts with all the salt that is mixed in it. They used to use just a heavy layer of salt. But the under part of cars were being ruined even if they had been conditioned.

In Chelsea, the town right next to us is the Chelsea Creek that separates us from them. Oil tankers go up the creek and special cargo ships all summer long leaving five and six stories high of salt and sand. There are about eight piles. Right now the last time I looked, most of the piles were gone due to our winter this year. Not for us to worry. They are being replenished for next year. And if you ask them nice, sometimes they will give you a five pound bucket of the mixture for your sidewalk. You have to provide the bucket.

In the winter at Christmas time, they put a very large Santa and his reindeer and sleigh on top of the first pile. The first reindeer is up in the air having just starting to take off. And it is all lit up. The little kids love it and it is good community relations.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #343
Head Chef

I have a home-made formula that I've been using on ants. These are the columns of ants that run up and down the sides of the shed outside. I mix one part household ammonia to two parts water in a spray bottle. Could be that they temporarily pass out from the fumes and then get up and run around after I have walked away. Don't know for sure -- they all look alike . Someone please tell me if this is an insanely stupid mixture to use. I know about bleach + ammonia, but I can't think of any reason the water + ammonia would be injurious to the shed, etc.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:30 AM   #344
Chef Extraordinaire

Found a great homemade recipie to clean the grout between tiles, anywhere in your home

7 Cups water
1/2 Cup Baking soda
!/3 Cup lemon juice
1/4 Cup Vinegar

Mix it up & put in a spray bottle, it works amazingly well!
Old 05-23-2013, 12:55 AM   #345
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I have a home-made formula that I've been using on ants. These are the columns of ants that run up and down the sides of the shed outside. I mix one part household ammonia to two parts water in a spray bottle. Could be that they temporarily pass out from the fumes and then get up and run around after I have walked away. Don't know for sure -- they all look alike . Someone please tell me if this is an insanely stupid mixture to use. I know about bleach + ammonia, but I can't think of any reason the water + ammonia would be injurious to the shed, etc.
My mom says borax kills ants. According to her, they bring it home thinking it's food. Has anyone else used borax on ants?
Old 05-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #346
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
My mom says borax kills ants. According to her, they bring it home thinking it's food. Has anyone else used borax on ants?
Been using that for years. And it does work. I l aways just had to use one application. And it is harmless to the environment. Can be found at any hardware. Much cheapr than from your supermarket.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #347
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Been using that for years. And it does work. I l aways just had to use one application. And it is harmless to the environment. Can be found at any hardware. Much cheapr than from your supermarket.
How do you get it to them? I see ants in my house but I don't know where their nest is. I sprinkled some on the nests outside that I know of tho
Old 05-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #348
Certified Pretend Chef

I use a commercial product that you sprinkle around the foundation of the house (two foot wide strip) early in the season before the ants appear then water the powder to soak it into the ground. I wonder if the borax would work the same way.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #349
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
How do you get it to them? I see ants in my house but I don't know where their nest is. I sprinkled some on the nests outside that I know of tho
Follow their trail. You may not get back to their nest, but they will bring it back as food and on their feet. Those in the nest will eat what is on their feet as food. If they are coming from outside, try to find where they are coming in and sprinkle at their entrance. Kind of a welcome gift.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #350
Chef Extraordinaire

Ants aren't pests - they're nuisances. Use whatever means are necessary to kill them in the house and get rid of them, but they're part of a healthy ecosystem outside. No need to destroy their nests.