"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2006, 11:44 AM   #31
Assistant Cook
paxpuella's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: IL
Posts: 24
Clothes dryer tip

My mom sent me an email about this one.

The heating unit went out on my dryer! The guy that fixes things went in to the dryer pulled out the lint filter. It was clean. We always clean the lint from the filter after every load of clothes. He told us that he wanted to show us something. He took the filter over to the sink, ran hot water over it. Now, the lint filter is made of a mesh material - I'm sure you know what your dryer's lint filter looks like. WELL...the hot water just sat on top of the mesh!!! It didn't go through it at all ! He told us that dryer sheets cause a film over that mesh that's what burns out the heating unit. You can't SEE the film, but it's there. This is also what causes dryer units to catch fire & potentially burn your house down with it! He said the best way to keep your dryer working for a very long time (& to keep your electric bill lower) is to take that filter out & wash it with hot soapy water & an old toothbrush (or other brush) at least every six months. He said that makes the life of the dryer at least twice as long! How about that???!!!! Learn something new everyday! I certainly didn't know dryer sheets would do that. So, I thought I'd share!

Note: I went to my dryer & tested my screen by running water on it. The water ran thru a little bit but mostly collected all the water in the mesh screen. I washed it with warm soapy water &a nylon brush &I had it done in 30 seconds. Then when I rinsed it the water ran right thru the screen! There wasn't any puddling at all! That repairman knew what he was talking about!
I have to say, this is true about the mesh liner. I first took it out and ran water over it and sure enough, the water just stood on top. I washed it in hot, soapy dishwater, then all of the water ran through. I most always use a dryer sheet because of all the static cling, especially in the winter time. Not so much in summer and so I don't use them as often. We have lived here about 4 years now and we bought our washer/dryer set from the people who moved out. It was only a year old when we got the set.

Hope this helps someone else.

(edited for spelling)

paxpuella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:56 AM   #32
Master Chef
expatgirl's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas girl living in Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,568
Hi! Been sifting through all the threads--what a great idea---I love anything that solves a problem. So here I go:

Itchy mosquito bites: take a corner of a washcloth and heat it with the hottest water that YOU can stand and apply the edge to the bite and press for as long you can------usual result is that you'll never be troubled again by that bite--NOT to be advocated for people with diabetes, circulatory problems, or skin diseases---- just normal, healthy though itchy skin

Skin So Soft on my skin is a marinade for my local Houston mosquitos (fact--Houston was built over a swamp)---the only thing that works for me is to use Deep Woods Off--Not regular Off--Deep Woods--the green can

Bay leaves---- Abosolute agreement with earlier post---GREAT for keeping wee beasties out of your meal and grain based products---got that idea from my dear old grannie born in 1900---so when I open up flours, rice, etc, in goes a bay leaf. If you don't mind them I also spread them around my pantry shelves.

Funnels--cut off the tops of your 1 or 2 liter plastic soft drink bottles with a knife and you'll have great funnels to go with you paper plate ones

Cat lovers---if you have cats that love catnip (mine go into catniption fits over it) take those mateless socks (discussed earlier) and put in some catnip and stuff into the toe end then tie into a knot. If the sock is extra long then just cut off the extra cuff. The socks are light enough for them to bat around and carry in their mouths. You'll love watching them trip out. Be sure to give the catnip sock a few pounds so as to release the essential oils.

Rubber drawliners--what can I say--I use them for anything that I don't want to slip and slide---place under small carpets, under mixing bowls if using a beater, cutting boards, lined my pantry spice rack on the door so that if the door slammed spices would not go a tottering, used it on an exercise bike where my derriere kept slipping. I go to the dollar stores and just load up.

Dry spaghetti---one strand is all you need to use to see if cakes are done

Thanks for all the tips!!!

expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:35 PM   #33
Senior Cook
Trip's Avatar
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 330
To remove garlic or onion smell from your hands after you chop or mince just rub your hands against the stainless steel in your sink, my other fave is chewing gum while chopping onions keeps you from crying....
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:24 PM   #34
Master Chef
SizzlininIN's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Indiana
Posts: 5,023
-Those lonesome socks......use them for dusting.....they'll fit your hand perfectly.

-Use a unused paintbrush to dust your pleated lamp shades or figurines that have little knicks and crannies.

-Use your kitchen shears (scissors) to cut up your bacon vs using a knife

-To butter your corn on the cob smear butter on a slice of bread and twist the bread around the corn.

-When camping put rice in your salt and it will keep out the moisture.
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:59 PM   #35
Senior Cook
Trip's Avatar
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 330
viniger on a itchy bug bite relieves some of the itch
dryer sheet in pocket keeps black flies away (my grandmother says)
magic eraser takes everything off of walls, just don't rub too much or lose your paint.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Herm Albrighthttp://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...s/tripcopy.jpg
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:57 PM   #36
DC Grandma
Dove's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: USA,California
Posts: 3,217
Next time you boil eggs, add beet juice or food coloring. This was you can tell if they are fresh eggs or hardboiled.
May I always be the person my dog thinks I am.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:40 PM   #37
Head Chef
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,313
I haven't tried this...but a girl that sells candles says to clean your "decorative" candles with a piece of old panty hose to remove dust and get them to shine again. Old hose makes a good dust rag too...especially does well on "black" stuff...that the dust shows on so easily.
You can close your eyes to the things you do not want to see, but you can't close your heart to the things you do not want to feel.
KAYLINDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:51 PM   #38
Senior Cook
Seven S's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: N of the Equator, W of the Greenwich Meridian
Posts: 372
one of the coolest tips i discovered is that the best way to peel the skin off ginger is with a spoon as the knife or peeler takes too much flesh off.... just hold the curved front tip of the spoon upside down (meaning concave side towards ginger not towards you) against the ginger and choke up on the handle, use as you would for tourneeing, skin comes right off and doesnt cut into the ginger - kinda hard to explain but really easy to do
Seven S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:20 AM   #39
Head Chef
letscook's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Finger Lakes of NY
Posts: 1,957
every time i wash my apron and if grandkids are here cooking 3 aprons to wash - they all get tangle up and wrapped around everything.
fold each string up and put a rubber band around it to hold it and throw in the wash -- no more tangles

I wrap it around 4 fingers and pull it off and then put the band on.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:11 AM   #40
Master Chef
expatgirl's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas girl living in Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,568
Making houseplants shine!!!!!!!! If you like houseplants and want to make them especially attractive mix a little mayo with water and then take a sponge or paintbrush( not dripping) and dip it into the mixture and then brush or wipe on the upper layer of the the leaves--not only will it take off dulling dust but it will give the leaves a lustrous glow. Do not apply on the undersides of leaves----this is where their air holes are and the mixture will clog them up.

The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.