"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #441
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Homemade orange cleaner.

Take a large mason jar, fill it with white vinegar. Add the peels of 2 oranges. Put in a dark place and let it sit for 2 weeks. Strain and put in a spray bottle. You have an inexpensive orange cleaner at hand. Can do the same with lemons if you like.
At first I wondered why you'd need a cleaner for oranges, then I read the "recipe" which vaguely rang a bell. I checked, and yes, there it was in a handwritten book of household hints compiled by my great grandmother. It had a note attached saying it was "Very good".

Old 12-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #442
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
At first I wondered why you'd need a cleaner for oranges, then I read the "recipe" which vaguely rang a bell. I checked, and yes, there it was in a handwritten book of household hints compiled by my great grandmother. It had a note attached saying it was "Very good".
Okay dear, go with the nice lady. Time for your nap! Take this nice little pill first. It will make you feel very happy.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #443
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Okay dear, go with the nice lady. Time for your nap! Take this nice little pill first. It will make you feel very happy.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #444
Chef Extraordinaire

It does work well. Instead of tossing the peels in the orange peels in the compost pot, I toss them in a canning jar and fill with white vinegar.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:02 AM   #445
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath View Post
Spiders breathe through their skin, so if you spray them with a firm holding hair spray, it will kill them. This way, the fumes aren't as toxic to your family and pets as regular bug spray, and you aren't squishing them with your shoes!
Alternatively you could be kind and just place a large glass over it, then slide a card under the glass to form a trap. Then just take it outside and release it.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #446
Executive Chef

Is Orange Cleaner only used to clean oranges and Lemon Cleaner only used to clean lemons, or are they interchangeable?
Old 07-06-2014, 05:35 PM   #447
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Ants aren't pests - they're nuisances. Use whatever means are necessary to kill them in the house and get rid of them, but they're part of a healthy ecosystem outside. No need to destroy their nests.
Well said!
Old 07-06-2014, 05:54 PM   #448
Head Chef

Lightbulb

I have so many tips I have accumulated over the years, so will be contributing a lot to this thread now that I have read all the tips up to this page. Here are a few to be going on with:-

- When washing glass, rinse in cold water for a better shine.

- Boiled eggs will be easier to shell, if they are rolled on a table before peeling.

- For itchy insect bites, just dab on a little vinegar. It will sting very briefly (about a second) and then the itchiness subsides.

- For cold sores - here is a surefired cure...guaranteed to always work if caught at the initial tingly stage. When you can feel a cold sore coming on, i.e. the tingling sensation (and before the cold sore has fully developed), place an ice cube on it until the area goes numb. Kills the virus stone dead.

- Keeping meat chilled in hot weather, coming back from the shops (and don't have a cooler bag). I always add something equally cold, e.g. a pint of milk in with the packet of meat and enclose them tightly together with a small plastic bag.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:20 PM   #449
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Alternatively you could be kind and just place a large glass over it, then slide a card under the glass to form a trap. Then just take it outside and release it.
Lions, tigers, snakes and mad axe murderers I can deal with but I couldn't get close enough to a spider to do what you suggest.

When I lived in as House Mistress in the boarding school we had a plague of huge spiders which made a bee-line for my quarters. (I should add that we don't have spiders that can harm humans in this country.) I was marking essays one morning and looked up to see one of the giants on the carpet between me and the door. I swear that I now know how people die of heart attacks. I couldn't step over it or on it and I couldn't get my breath. I just froze. I knew I was being stupid but couldn't do anything about it. Fortunately the cleaning lady came in at that moment took one look at me and the spider, stood on it and slapped me to make me breathe! If she hadn't I think I would have passed out.

Downright stupid, I know. They aren't dangerous, they do good work in keeping down flies and other insects and, yes, I KNOW they are more frightened of me than I am of them (Oh, really?).
Old 07-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #450
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Duplicated