"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #451
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Lions, tigers, snakes and mad axe murderers I can deal with but I couldn't get close enough to a spider to do what you suggest.

When I lived in as House Mistress in the boarding school we had a plague of huge spiders which made a bee-line for my quarters. (I should add that we don't have spiders that can harm humans in this country.) I was marking essays one morning and looked up to see one of the giants on the carpet between me and the door. I swear that I now know how people die of heart attacks. I couldn't step over it or on it and I couldn't get my breath. I just froze. I knew I was being stupid but couldn't do anything about it. Fortunately the cleaning lady came in at that moment took one look at me and the spider, stood on it and slapped me to make me breathe! If she hadn't I think I would have passed out.

Downright stupid, I know. They aren't dangerous, they do good work in keeping down flies and other insects and, yes, I KNOW they are more frightened of me than I am of them (Oh, really?).
I know...I used to be like this - it's an irrational fear, often passed on from parent to child.

One evening I was staying at an old farmhouse. I noticed a huge spider high up on the ceiling, directly above the bed I was to sleep in. I didn't want to cause a fuss as people had gone to their beds. So I was in a dilemma. Since I knew I could not move the old fashioned, heavy bed and I had to sleep in it, then I had to come to terms with it. I asked myself what I was afraid of. Answer: that it would crawl over me/my face. I rationalised what was the likelihood of this occurring, e.g. had this ever occurred to me....no!!! So, armed with this knowledge, I managed to pacify my mind and get to sleep.

What I hadn't bargained on was that this was to have a direct knock-on effect when I next saw a spider. In place of my usual kneejerk horror, this
was replaced just by curiosity and observation. I was seeing the situation more clearly for what it was. I had overcome my fear.

Interestingly enough, desensitisation is a recognised way of dealing with phobias, i.e. gradual exposure to that which is feared. Guess I did that to
myself that night at the farmhouse!

Old 07-06-2014, 07:32 PM   #452
Head Chef

Exclamation

Re: Itchy Insect Stings - I meant to add to my post on the last page (P.45, post no. 448) that vinegar is not for bee stings. It does work well for flea bites and mosquito bites. (Unfortunately the chance to edit the post has expired).

Old 07-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #453
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I will never become complacent about spiders, there are three here that all look the same and one of them is poisonous...I will react the same way to any of them that show up in MY living quarters. Daddy Long Legs get taken outside where they belong.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:35 PM   #454
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I will never become complacent about spiders, there are three here that all look the same and one of them is poisonous...I will react the same way to any of them that show up in MY living quarters. Daddy Long Legs get taken outside where they belong.
Call me. I am great at stepping on and crushing all those critters that folks are not taking kindly to. Including ants, black or red. What I can't crush under my foot I can smash with a rolled up magazine. Yes I know, I am heartless.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:47 PM   #455
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have "Spider Hammer" looks a lot like a rubber mallet...
Old 07-07-2014, 05:40 AM   #456
Head Chef

Unhappy

Oh god...(tries to shake off all the indiscriminating killing and hatred towards spiders...ugh!!) I understand that they are unwanted in a house
but they have a right to life and can be disposed of. They can't help living as nature intended them. I guess some are not interested in looking at the bigger picture - we are a fickle species, e.g. if they look ugly then kill them!
Old 07-07-2014, 07:18 AM   #457
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Oh god...(tries to shake off all the indiscriminating killing and hatred towards spiders...ugh!!) I understand that they are unwanted in a house
but they have a right to life and can be disposed of. They can't help living as nature intended them. I guess some are not interested in looking at the bigger picture - we are a fickle species, e.g. if they look ugly then kill them!
No, kill them before they kill me. I have no desire to develop an intimate relationship with a black widow spider or a scorpion.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:32 AM   #458
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
No, kill them before they kill me. I have no desire to develop an intimate relationship with a black widow spider or a scorpion.
Yes I appreciate that. However, many people kill them indiscriminately (i.e. regardless of whether or not they are poisonous) and this is what I was referring to. I have no wish to have an intimate relationship with any spider at all, however, it is not necessary to kill harmless spiders when they can be taken outside (as I have outlined in an above post). Every creature has a right to life in my view...eviction is kinder.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:01 AM   #459
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Yes I appreciate that. However, many people kill them indiscriminately (i.e. regardless of whether or not they are poisonous) and this is what I was referring to. I have no wish to have an intimate relationship with any spider at all, however, it is not necessary to kill harmless spiders when they can be taken outside (as I have outlined in an above post). Every creature has a right to life in my view...eviction is kinder.
You miss my point...there are three types here, they all look the same, one of them is poisonous...I'm not taking any chances with wounds that do not heal, infection and loss of limb.
WARNING :: Brown Recluse Spider Bite Picture :: GRAPHIC

I and mine have a right to life, too.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:20 AM   #460
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
You miss my point...there are three types here, they all look the same, one of them is poisonous...I'm not taking any chances with wounds that do not heal, infection and loss of limb.
WARNING :: Brown Recluse Spider Bite Picture :: GRAPHIC

I and mine have a right to life, too.
Oh I see...you can't distinguish between them then. Yes I understand. Of course you should put your life first if you feel you are in danger. That was not what I was addressing. I was just presenting the other side of the argument when others CAN distinguish the poisonous spiders from the harmless ones but don't care and kill everything anyway. I know most people are conditioned to do this without giving it a second thought. I guess there are different levels of reverence/respect for life...