"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-07-2014, 08:28 AM   #461
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have a high reverence for life, but I do put humans first. If you are unaware I am a Nurse and work with the elderly.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:30 AM   #462
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have a high reverence for life, but I do put humans first. If you are unaware I am a Nurse and work with the elderly.
Well said! Thank you.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:56 AM   #463
Head Chef

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Of course - I put humans first too. I would have thought that much is obvious but it seems that you have misunderstood my point - never mind.

I am a spiritually focused person and had been caring full time for my mother for 2 years.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #464
Head Chef

Smile

Anyway, back on topic...

Old lemons can be revived by steeping them for 20 mins in hot water.

Celery keeps longer if the brown base is lightly sliced off (a fraction) and the celery head placed in a strong jar with some water in its base (about 1 -2 inches), covering the top of them with their cellophane wrapper.

To test if a melon is ripe - press gently with thumb at both ends. It if gives slightly then it is ripe. If it remains firm, then it isn't ripe and should be left for a few days before eaten.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #465
Head Chef

One more for the spiders. One is resident in my bathroom right now. A little jumping spider, I suspect. I get maybe one a year set up shop above the window and live off small flying insects that get in. They're welcome, and considering that they're adults when they move in, they seem to spend pretty much the rest of their approximate one-year lives there. Why not? Free meals and no enemies. When guests are expected, I put out a sign advising of the spider's residential status and harmlessness.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #466
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Re: Itchy Insect Stings - I meant to add to my post on the last page (P.45, post no. 448) that vinegar is not for bee stings. It does work well for flea bites and mosquito bites. (Unfortunately the chance to edit the post has expired).
When I did my first aid badge in Guides the mantra was "vinegar for wasp, bicarbonate for bee" Bicarb (baking soda) being alkali. Mix to a paste with water IIRC.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #467
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Well said! Thank you.
To be fair to Creative, she is a Brit like me and we are lucky to live in a country where there are few if any animals that can do us any real harm so she will have a slightly different viewpoint to that of DC-ers who share their space with scorpions and rattlesnakes and dangerous spiders, to say nothing of larger predators.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #468
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
To be fair to Creative, she is a Brit like me and we are lucky to live in a country where there are few if any animals that can do us any real harm so she will have a slightly different viewpoint to that of DC-ers who share their space with scorpions and rattlesnakes and dangerous spiders, to say nothing of larger predators.
I live with 2 large predators; DW, and DS. I don't worry 'bout bears, or wolves, or four legged critters. Even big dogs can be handled, if you know how. But DW's and DS's, there just is no defense (except maybe some ice water over the shower curtain).

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #469
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I live with 2 large predators; DW, and DS. I don't worry 'bout bears, or wolves, or four legged critters. Even big dogs can be handled, if you know how. But DW's and DS's, there just is no defense (except maybe some ice water over the shower curtain).

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I'll have to have a word with DW about revenge tactics...
Old 07-07-2014, 01:24 PM   #470
Head Chef

Smile

- If you have burnt the meat in a pan, e.g. stew - don't stir (since this incorporates the burnt bits). Transfer to another pan and disguise the burnt taste with paprika or cayenne pepper.

- Overdone the chilli? Disguise with lemon juice.

- Quiche/savoury flan overcooked/curdled? Grate over cheese to cover.

- For food spills on the oven - cover with salt and leave. Will be easier to clean when cool.