"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-07-2014, 01:39 PM   #471
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
To be fair to Creative, she is a Brit like me and we are lucky to live in a country where there are few if any animals that can do us any real harm so she will have a slightly different viewpoint to that of DC-ers who share their space with scorpions and rattlesnakes and dangerous spiders, to say nothing of larger predators.
That may be true, but there are literally trillions of insects in the world, and they reproduce by the thousands every year. I don't believe that each and every one is entitled to live out its lifespan. Especially if I find certain ones in my house lol

Old 07-07-2014, 01:59 PM   #472
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
- If you have burnt the meat in a pan, e.g. stew - don't stir (since this incorporates the burnt bits). Transfer to another pan and disguise the burnt taste with paprika or cayenne pepper.

- Overdone the chilli? Disguise with lemon juice.

- Quiche/savoury flan overcooked/curdled? Grate over cheese to cover.

- For food spills on the oven - cover with salt and leave. Will be easier to clean when cool.
I burned chili one time, and put it in a different pan. The burnt flavor was still there. I added maple syrup and turned the burnt flavor into a smokey flavor. I'm not sure of the chemical reactions involved, but the chili was very good.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:05 PM   #473
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
To be fair to Creative, she is a Brit like me and we are lucky to live in a country where there are few if any animals that can do us any real harm so she will have a slightly different viewpoint to that of DC-ers who share their space with scorpions and rattlesnakes and dangerous spiders, to say nothing of larger predators.
Then I ask that she please try to remember that we have members in this country who face life and death situation every day due to these critters. I am sure when one of our members who are living in California or Texas, Arizona, Colorado, etc. or on the edge of the desert is not going to tell the rattlesnake to shoo, shoo. Go away. When you live in Texas, you check your boots or shoes every morning before slipping your foot into them. Is there a poisonous snake in one, or a scorpion? In cold weather, the chances are more than just good that there is. My kids learned real quick in Texas, when you are walking outside you walk in the street. Not on the sidewalk or near the grass. Ever hear the expression, "There seems to be a snake in the grass?" So true in Texas. I can't tell you how many times when mowing the grass, I would run over a nest of snakes. Not your friendly garter snakes. Rattlesnakes!
Old 07-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #474
Head Chef

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Then I ask that she please try to remember that we have members in this country who face life and death situation every day due to these critters. I am sure when one of our members who are living in California or Texas, Arizona, Colorado, etc. or on the edge of the desert is not going to tell the rattlesnake to shoo, shoo. Go away. When you live in Texas, you check your boots or shoes every morning before slipping your foot into them. Is there a poisonous snake in one, or a scorpion? In cold weather, the chances are more than just good that there is. My kids learned real quick in Texas, when you are walking outside you walk in the street. Not on the sidewalk or near the grass. Ever hear the expression, "There seems to be a snake in the grass?" So true in Texas. I can't tell you how many times when mowing the grass, I would run over a nest of snakes. Not your friendly garter snakes. Rattlesnakes!
Addie - for goodness sake - will you try and understand that I am NOT addressing poisonous spiders/snakes. You still haven't understood my point have you? I am talking about NON poisonous ones being killed needlessly (when it is known they are non poisonous) either because people just don't care or are so conditioned that they just do what everyone else does without thinking i.e. killing a life needlessly.I hope you finally understand now. I am not expecting others to agree with me since clearly respect for life doesn't involve such creatures to most people, but I have a right to express it.

Of course I understand your post here and agree but I am NOT talking about that situation AT ALL!!!!
Old 07-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #475
Head Chef

Lightbulb

I am aware that this keeps going off topic, so would like to bring it back on track if I may.

- For a chip pan fire, cover pan. If this doesn't work pour over salt or bicarb.

- If jar is too tight to undo, tap the top against a table and it may dislodge the air bubble. Or you could place an elastic band around the jar top to get a firmer grip ... or wear rubber gloves to do so.

- To get rid of beetroot stains on hands - lemon juice.

- Before handling a chilli, dip fingertips in oil. This will make it so much easier for the chilli to be removed from fingers when washing hands later.

- If coffee has been overdone and tastes bitter, a pinch of salt remedies this. (I guess having it would cream would also help too!)
Old 07-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #476
Chef Extraordinaire

I like that idea of the fingers, oil and chilles. That is a really good one.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #477
Chef Extraordinaire

I was making pesto today and have some tips for making something like this easier to do:
  1. Use a "garbage bowl" a la Rachael Ray to collect trimmings.
  2. When making something with fresh herbs, especially those just picked from the garden, put them in a vase of water to keep them as fresh as possible.
  3. When grating cheese, place the grater in a pie pan to collect all the cheese.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-16 14.52.11.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	21692  
Old 08-16-2014, 04:55 PM   #478
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I was making pesto today and have some tips for making something like this easier to do:
  1. Use a "garbage bowl" a la Rachael Ray to collect trimmings.
  2. When making something with fresh herbs, especially those just picked from the garden, put them in a vase of water to keep them as fresh as possible.
  3. When grating cheese, place the grater in a pie pan to collect all the cheese.
I used to use a chopping block right next to the sink and just scrape the trimmings right into the sink for the disposal. But my counters are a couple of inches too tall for me, then add the chopping block. I was working with my shoulders hunched up to my chin. So I put the block on top of my lower little cart and found the work much easier. It is not a big cart and has it own problems, but I make it work for me. Dang, I hate being so short.

Sometimes when I am peeling carrots, potatoes, etc., I will sit in my big chair and put a small waste basket between my legs and let the peelings fall right into it. I have it lined with a grocery plastic bag and just tie it up and into the trash it goes. Nice and neat. Being so short, I have had to always find solutions to accommodate the problems that go with it.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #479
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I used to use a chopping block right next to the sink and just scrape the trimmings right into the sink for the disposal. But my counters are a couple of inches too tall for me, then add the chopping block. I was working with my shoulders hunched up to my chin. So I put the block on top of my lower little cart and found the work much easier. It is not a big cart and has it own problems, but I make it work for me. Dang, I hate being so short.

Sometimes when I am peeling carrots, potatoes, etc., I will sit in my big chair and put a small waste basket between my legs and let the peelings fall right into it. I have it lined with a grocery plastic bag and just tie it up and into the trash it goes. Nice and neat. Being so short, I have had to always find solutions to accommodate the problems that go with it.
I'm average height, but can't spend a lot of time on my feet, so I have a pretty bar stool I sit on at the peninsula (like an island, but sticks out from the wall) for prep. It's always something, eh?
Old 08-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #480
Head Chef

Lightbulb

When a recipe calls for grated zest, I get the last remnants from the grater out by using a clean toothbrush.

Descaling fish: I tend to do this by placing the fish inside a large plastic bag and descaling with a knife in the sink area.

Recrisping a baguette. Often I find it is not crusty enough for me so I preheat the grill, lower the rack and place the baguette under the
grill, having lowered the setting. It needs to be watched carefully as it can quickly burn. If the baguette is a day old, I find that very quickly handling it with wetted hands affords a softening effect which refreshed the bread when grilled.