"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #511
Master Chef

Good God, I feel guilty for being healthy! I'm 63 and take 2 different meds for my HBP and one to make sure my cholesterol stays in check. Two are dirt-cheap, one is something like $20 co-pay for a 3-month supply. Doc told me taking an aspirin is up to me since he doesn't think I need it but it couldn't hurt. Since I usually hurt by the end of the day, I go ahead and take one most nights.

Himself is the one that runs up our pharma bill. I keep telling him picking up that glass of pop and the jar of peanuts does NOT constitute "weight lifting". However, elevating himself out of his recliner might qualify... Did I type that last part out loud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
How can you be sure you haven't forgotten to flip a bottle? ...
I figure if I miss a day I'm not gonna die.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:18 PM   #512
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Tips for the Home and Kitchen...

We're pretty lucky here too. DH is also 63, and takes no meds, though we have a cupboard full of all his vitamins and supplements. I'm on one HBP med and a couple baby aspirin. The pharmacy always asks if I need any other scripts filled, and seem really surprised when I tell them no!

Old 08-30-2014, 06:21 PM   #513
Master Chef

Dawg, I don't know about you but I might not need my HBP meds if I didn't have Himself. ~~~ Just Kidding Dear!

AND...now I'd better go get busy with real work instead of playing here. Don't want him spotting my comment.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #514
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Nothing like heart disease to bring out the OTC meds...some of them I take to reduce side effects of the RX.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:39 PM   #515
Master Chef

I'm pretty lucky so far too, I'll be 59 in November and not on any meds. I just take my multi, calcium, and vitamin D. Now that that's been put out there in words, I sure hope I didn't jinx it!
Old 08-31-2014, 07:18 AM   #516
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I do the flippy thing with my B12 1000mg.

I only take it when I've had too much salt and need to reduce swelling in my ankles.

On a really bad day, I may take a second one in the evening.

I made the mistake of taking a third and found that it made me feel weird so when I take one, I turn the bottle upside down. If I take a second one, I lay the bottle on it's side.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:30 AM   #517
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Nothing like heart disease to bring out the OTC meds...some of them I take to reduce side effects of the RX.
I take 22 RX meds a day. I am too afraid to take any OTC for fear of how they may interact with my RX meds. I recently found out that my medical plan (Elder Service Plan) has every patient taking B12. It is very important for your system. I knew that, but was surprised that EVERY patient of theirs takes it. I don't take any med for my diabetes. I am able to control it by diet alone. Took me a lot of years to get to that point though. First, had to lose the weight. Then had to develop a new mindset. Once a diabetic, always a diabetic. I am very fortunate so far. I have never developed diabetic nerve pain in my feet. Nor has there been any damage to my eyes from it. For a long time, I kept telling anyone who I thought would listen that I was being overmedicated for BP. It was the last trip to the ER just before my cataract surgery that they finally heard me. My BP went so low, no one could get a reading. They now listen to me when I tell them something is wrong. I cut myself back on the Ranexa. It controls the angina. I was taking four a day. But the dizziness was so severe that it became extremely painful. I can live with the dizziness. But not to the point of screaming out in pain.

ESP lays out all my meds for the week for me on MOT (Medicine on Time) cards. Other than that I am doing fine.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:00 PM   #518
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
We're pretty lucky here too. DH is also 63, and takes no meds, though we have a cupboard full of all his vitamins and supplements. I'm on one HBP med and a couple baby aspirin. The pharmacy always asks if I need any other scripts filled, and seem really surprised when I tell them no!
Maybe those vitamins and supplements are working.

I'm in the lucky camp. I'm 64 and have two 'scrips. I take eye drops for glaucoma once a day in the evening and an osteoporosis pill once a week. Stirling takes 3 BP meds, I'm not sure how many times a day. He also has an Rx inhaler.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:24 PM   #519
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'm in the lucky camp, too. I'm over 65 and have 3 prescribed meds. One is a hormone replacement as a result of a total hysterectomy 15 years ago and has been slowly reduced by my doc. It won't be long before I won't have to take it any longer. Another is Aricept, which is commonly used for Alzheimer patient treatment but, in my case, it is to treat my total loss of memory after a closed head injury in a vehicle accident more than a dozen years ago. I will always have to take that. The final one is an anti-inflammatory that is used to treat my rampant arthritis.

Otherwise just a multivitamin and, as a precaution and my idea, a baby aspirin at night before bed.

Glenn takes a few for BP and an anti-inflammatory for arthritis.

We're good.

I feel fortunate that, at the age I've achieved, I really have few ailments and take very little prescribed medications. Guess I'm a tough old Irishman.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #520
Assistant Cook

This is a great thread! I found quite a few things I never thought about!

I also have a few of my own!

If you want to get rid of a sticky label without using WD-40, spread peanut butter on the label and let it sit for a few minutes, the oil will soak into the label and release the oil.

WD-40 is a great thing for repelling spiders, spray it around your windows and doors, I have yet to see a single spider inside all summer! (We usually get tons!)

If you burn something in a cast iron pan, pour in a few tablespoons of salt, a little bit of olive oil, and use a balled up piece of aluminium foil to scrub the bits out.

If washing dishes by hand, add a 1/4 cup of vinegar to the dishwater to boost the shine.

Garlic is a great thing to use for minor outer ear infections/swimmer's ear, break open a clove and put it in a bottle with a dropper, fill the bottle with mineral oil and let it sit 24 hours. Put 3-4 drops in the ear and let it sit 10 minutes before draining it out. Pain will be gone in 24-48 hours.

Use an empty egg carton to put in pre-measured spices for a recipe.

And for after-dinner clean up, keep wine on hand! Nothing makes the cleaning seem to go quicker with a glass of wine! :)