"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #521
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I take 22 RX meds a day. I am too afraid to take any OTC for fear of how they may interact with my RX meds.
Is that 22 prescriptions or 22 pills?

The OTC stuff I take are all supplements suggested by my GI doctor.

Btw, I take a daily Rx prenatal multivitamin because Rx content and manufacturers are regulated by the FDA but OTC are not.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #522
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I always have a large stainless steel tea kettle, filled with water, on one of the back units of the stove. It's handy to always have a little water available when I might need to add it to a recipe, rather than taking the time to go to the sink for a small quantity of water.

The most effective use of that kettle of water, though, is to keep the stove area cool when I'm done cooking or, sometimes, as I am cooking.

As soon as I am done with a burner, I move the kettle of room temperature water to the hot space.

It's surprising how much heat that kettle of water can absorb. Seriously, it's an immediate heat sink. Been doing this for years.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:13 PM   #523
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Is that 22 prescriptions or 22 pills?

The OTC stuff I take are all supplements suggested by my GI doctor.

Btw, I take a daily Rx prenatal multivitamin because Rx content and manufacturers are regulated by the FDA but OTC are not.
That is 22 pills. I have other prescriptions, but they are not taken daily. They are all PRN scripts. I have a four page document that lists everything I take at sometime or as needed. I keep it handy for the paramedics when I have to call 911. When they ask what meds I am on, I just give that to them. No way could I recite the whole four pages. Not when I am having severe chest pains. I make copies on my printer. Whenever there has been a change in my meds, or addition or removal of one, I get a new printout from ESP.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:51 AM   #524
Master Chef

Thanks Freki, you had a couple I had never heard of. I think this one was my favorite:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freki View Post
....And for after-dinner clean up, keep wine on hand! Nothing makes the cleaning seem to go quicker with a glass of wine! :)
Old 09-02-2014, 05:34 AM   #525
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
We are very fortunate here regarding trash. Each floor has a trash room with five very large lined garbage cans. On the first floor is the largest trash room as it also contains the different containers for recycling. Most of the residents here do recycle. But it can be difficult at times for me to go down there on my scooter, get the door open and haul any stuff into the room. The only thing I do recycle are plastic soda bottles. I give them to my neighbor since she cashes them in for Christmas money for her grandchildren. Every morning at six a.m. the maintenance department collects all the trash from the three floors and takes it all to the very large dumpster. Even on Sundays. About two years ago we had a mouse problem. So Sunday collection was added. End of problem.
Only just read this. What a brilliant idea to have cash back on plastic bottles! We used to have it on glass soda and beer bottles and on jam jars but it died the death many years ago. It was a great incentive for kids to go round the neighbours collecting them to raise extra pocket money. Nowadays we are expected to recycle them in our trash but judging by the numbers that appear on the roadside and in parks and in the countryside, there are a lot of people who don't care.

The continuing doorstep milk deliveries here still use returnable clear glass bottles which works wonderfully well as everyone leaves them outside the house for the milkman to collect and the dairy to re-use. (And no, the milk doesn't go off as the deliveries are usually before daylight so we have fresh milk for breakfast - lucky us - aren't you jealous?) The bottles are used, on average, 10 times and when damaged can be recycled - much better than plastic containers which can only be used once and cause a lot of pollution in the recycling process. Oh yes and the aluminium milk bottle tops can be recycled to. Brilliant!
Old 09-02-2014, 05:41 AM   #526
Chef Extraordinaire

You are right. I am jealous. You still have home deliveries of milk. We may have a few in this whole country. But not many. I have two glass quart milk bottles that I keep my loose change in. One for pennies and the other for silver coins. I have had them for about 15 years. My granddaughter came one day to visit me and saw them. She wanted to know what they were for originally. How sad. She didn't know what a glass milk bottle was and she will never know what it is like to use a rotary dial phone. She will never hear what a real phone ring sounds like either. She has lived a deprived life. Like so many of her friends her age.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:05 AM   #527
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I'm pretty lucky so far too, I'll be 59 in November and not on any meds. I just take my multi, calcium, and vitamin D. Now that that's been put out there in words, I sure hope I didn't jinx it!
When I signed up with the new doctor when mine retired I was lectured on my advanced "dangerous" age and how I was in danger of dying for various reasons due to said age, including 'flu (which I've had precisely 3 times in my life) and pneumonia. I was informed that I MUST start taking Statins (or I would die!) and generally left me feeling that I should be a good girl and drop dead immediately. As I was sitting in the consulting room in jodhpurs, riding boots and a sweater with a quotation about horses on it, so obviously not a frail little old lady, and I'd only gone for a repeat prescription for Gerd which I've had most of my life, I was a bit miffed to put it mildly. Mind you, he didn't look at me once during the entire consultation!

The last time I'd had a review for my GERD meds my old doctor had described me as "disgustingly healthy" (without adding "for your age). I don't have adverse BP or cholesterol, I live an active and outdoor life with plenty of weight-bearing exercise and only take the Gerd stuff and occasional non-prescription anti-inflammatories for an old hip injury which was due to a fall many years ago. I do take a multi-vitamin & mineral supplement but I did that for many years before I became an old age pensioner.

Fair enough if a person needs medications for some actual age-related or other illness but I am sick and tired of the mind-set in the UK that says when you reach a certain age you have to be filled with all sorts of pills and potions for things that only might happen. They fill you up with stuff to stop you dieing and then, when the meds keep you alive until you get dementia due to extreme old age, they complain that you are costing the NHS too much money!

The patient can't win

Oh, yes, and now I'm old I mustn't eat soft boiled eggs or "real" custard or soft cheeses or have a glass of wine with my dinner or a myriad of other life-threatening and delicious things!
Old 09-02-2014, 06:14 AM   #528
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Mad Cook - well done for refusing the statins if you don't need them! They have significant side effects and the evidence for their effectiveness is in doubt. Hence I am a bit cynical about this recent "push" to take statins. What's going on? Are GPs on some kind of enticing commission to push statins?
Old 09-02-2014, 06:37 AM   #529
Chef Extraordinaire

For years in this country pharmaceutical companies used to load down doctors with free samples in the hope that they would pass them out to their patients and when they ran out would prescribed them. It became quite a racket and the law was changed that put the practice to a stop. Even the pharmacies were in on the deal. They would give the doctor a kickback for every prescription they directed to their store. They would recommend where the patient could get them at a "supposedly" cheaper price.

I was getting worried because it seemed I would forget a word that I knew, but it wouldn't come into my brain. Then I read an article that mentioned just such a condition. It stated that certain medications will do that to you. You are not developing the start of dementia or Alzheimer's disease. The article mentioned certain medications that were the most likely culprits. I looked up all the meds I was on and discovered three. Talked with my doctor and he cut me back on two of them. My memory has returned to me. And my health has not been affected. He reduced my statin meds by half.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:54 AM   #530
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Good for you Addie!