"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #531
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I did research when I knew I was going to be given a prescription for cholesterol. I made it clear that whatever was prescribed would not be a statin. The list of side effects was terrifying.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:30 PM   #532
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Statins have been directly linked to causing diabetes in post-menopausal women. We now have a bunch of commercials advertising attourneys for lawsuits for anyone who was diagnosed with diabetes after taking statins.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #533
Chef Extraordinaire

Back to kitchen tips. I stumbled across this link today. I know there have been several threads lately about storing this or that (basil, celery, lettuce greens, cheese come to mind). I plan on printing this out and keeping it handy for those things I don't buy often.

http://makedirtnotwaste.org/sites/de..._guide-web.pdf
Old 09-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #534
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I always have a large stainless steel tea kettle, filled with water, on one of the back units of the stove. It's handy to always have a little water available when I might need to add it to a recipe, rather than taking the time to go to the sink for a small quantity of water.

The most effective use of that kettle of water, though, is to keep the stove area cool when I'm done cooking or, sometimes, as I am cooking.

As soon as I am done with a burner, I move the kettle of room temperature water to the hot space.

It's surprising how much heat that kettle of water can absorb. Seriously, it's an immediate heat sink. Been doing this for years.
Thanks, CWS. I'm bumping mine up because it got buried.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #535
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I always have a large stainless steel tea kettle, filled with water, on one of the back units of the stove. It's handy to always have a little water available when I might need to add it to a recipe, rather than taking the time to go to the sink for a small quantity of water.

The most effective use of that kettle of water, though, is to keep the stove area cool when I'm done cooking or, sometimes, as I am cooking.

As soon as I am done with a burner, I move the kettle of room temperature water to the hot space.

It's surprising how much heat that kettle of water can absorb. Seriously, it's an immediate heat sink. Been doing this for years.
I love this idea. And I'll tell you - now I understand better what a heat sink is and how it can be applied in a practical way. Thanks
Old 09-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #536
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I love this idea. And I'll tell you - now I understand better what a heat sink is and how it can be applied in a practical way. Thanks
It is a great idea.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:37 PM   #537
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Trust me. It works amazingly well. When I lived in my old 1880-built house, without air-conditioning, any little help to keep the kitchen from being warm was welcome. Plus, this is so simple, easy to do and effortless.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:18 PM   #538
Master Chef

Addie and MC, we still had dairy home delivery around us when we first moved to MA in 2000. There are just a very few dairies that do that anymore. Up until Whittier Farms had a listeria scare a few years back we would by milk from their dairy store - getting it in glass bottles. When one very old person died as a result of listeria, and the source was found to be in that lady's milk bottle, Whittier found it prohibitive to rebuild their processing facility per the state's orders. Oddly enough, no listeria was found to be in their equipment. their bottles in the dairy store, or any other dairy product other than in that one bottle. Hmm, methinks a family member wanted to knock the lady out. Just me and my suspicions though.

I still use those glass bottles. We buy our milk in a gallon jug. Sometimes there is still some milk left when I do a grocery run. It's then that I transfer our remaining milk to a glass bottle to make room for the new plastic gallon jug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
...What a brilliant idea to have cash back on plastic bottles!...
Don't get too excited MC. That "cash back" is exactly that: your OWN cash back after you are charged a 5 cent deposit on every one of those items when you buy it. The state isn't giving you anything that wasn't yours to begin with.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:56 AM   #539
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It is a great idea.
We have forced hot air heat in the winter. The air gets very dry. So I put my full tea kettle on the back burner which the oven vent is under. I turn the oven on the "Keep Warm" setting. It warms up the water in the kettle just enough to evaporate at a very slow pace and puts moisture in the air. Of course I don't have to pay my electric bill either. But by putting warm moisture in the air, I can turn down the thermostat at the same time.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:49 AM   #540
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Back to kitchen tips. I stumbled across this link today. I know there have been several threads lately about storing this or that (basil, celery, lettuce greens, cheese come to mind). I plan on printing this out and keeping it handy for those things I don't buy often.

http://makedirtnotwaste.org/sites/de..._guide-web.pdf
Thanks for that. There were quite a few things I didn't know. Will be printing it of to stick on the side of the 'fridge.

Incidentally, I accidentally broke a stem of basil off my giant plant a couple of weeks ago. I felt sorry for it so put it in a jar of water on the window sill and forgot about it until I was having a cleaning blitz yesterday and found it again. It had rooted so I'm thinking of talking some cuttings off the parent plant and seeing if they will thrive and grow into plants. I'm useless with basil seeds and until this year have thrown away more pots bought in the s/market or garden centre so I'll be interested to see if I'm any luckier with cuttings.