"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-15-2015, 10:50 AM   #591
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
For foods that require a long cooking time, the vegetable rack made by Kaneohegirlinaz can collapse from he weight of the food placed on top of it. Another, more sturdy rack can be improvised by either making small balls of aluminum foil and placing the food (such as a beef roast) on top. You can also make tubes of aluminum foil by rolling a sheet, and crushing them to the right size. They hold their shape for the entire cooking time and hold the food above the pan juices like a rack does.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
True, true Chief!
In fact I did this with our steak the other night under the broiler... our gas grill died and since we're moving, we've decided not to buy a new one until then *sniff* I miss my grill

Old 11-17-2015, 07:20 AM   #592
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Attachment 23788

Attachment 23789

I don't own a rack for my quarter sheet pan,

so I use whatever sturdy vegetable that I have

on hand.

Celery works great or thick slices of Onion too.

What is it you are baking?

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Old 11-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #593
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
What is it you are baking?

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Charlie, she was roasting a pork loin. But it can be used for any meat to be roasted. A whole chicken can sit on them, a beef roast, anything you don't want sitting in the juices on the bottom. And it allows the heat to surround the whole piece and make the skin crispy on fowl and allow the outside to brown evenly on other pieces of meat.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:02 PM   #594
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
For foods that require a long cooking time, the vegetable rack made by Kaneohegirlinaz can collapse from he weight of the food placed on top of it. Another, more sturdy rack can be improvised by either making small balls of aluminum foil and placing the food (such as a beef roast) on top. You can also make tubes of aluminum foil by rolling a sheet, and crushing them to the right size. They hold their shape for the entire cooking time and hold the food above the pan juices like a rack does.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
And unlike a rack you don't have the often difficult task of scouring each wire one by one afterwards.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:49 PM   #595
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
WOW WOW WOW!
I just came back from the market and got 36oz. of Best Foods Mayonnaise
for $2.99USD the regular price is $4.99
So here's my tip:
Less folks are making dishes with mayo in the recipe during this time of the year, therefore the prices have been driven down. Even though I didn't need a new jar yet, I bought one and stashed it in the cupboard for my Summer Salads, ie. Chicken, Tuna, Egg, Macaroni, etc.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:52 PM   #596
Certified Pretend Chef

We don't see that size jar for Hellmanns (Same as Best Foods) here. A couple of years ago, the normal jar size dropped from 32 ounces to 30 ounces. We always have a couple of jars in reserve.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:06 PM   #597
Master Chef

I always stock up when they're on sale, too. Especially in the summer when I never know when I'm going to want to make a big potato salad.

I just looked at my jar of Best Foods, and it's 30 oz. I know they have bigger jars, but they're quite a bit bigger - I don't know offhand how many ounces they are.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:09 PM   #598
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
If you keep your cooking utensils in a drawer, turn them around so the business ends are at the front of the drawer.

You won't have to fumble around to find the one you want.
I store mine with the handle on the right side of the drawer. I found that I was always reaching into the drawer with my right hand. Like my pans, each implement was bought individually to fit comfortably in my hand. So the end of each item is different and I can just grab it with my right hand.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:10 PM   #599
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
We don't see that size jar for Hellmanns (Same as Best Foods) here. A couple of years ago, the normal jar size dropped from 32 ounces to 30 ounces. We always have a couple of jars in reserve.
You mean like the old half gallon ice cream?? Now it's 48oz. As with many things the quantity drops while the price stays the same......they didn't raise the price when they raised the price. Recently my son bought some bottled juice......the label said "New Look-Same Great Taste". I grabbed the bottle and took a closer look.....yep, 4oz less. What used to be 64oz was now 60oz.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:23 PM   #600
Master Chef

It seems like 30 oz. is the new "quart" along with 15 oz. being the new "pint" for some products. And then there is the infamous "half-gallon" of ice cream that shrunk down to a quart and a half. Why increase the price when you can decrease the volume.