"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2018, 10:50 PM   #731
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf1030 View Post
Tip for home: if you don't have a vent in your bathrooms and the mirrors fog during showers...clean the mirrors thoroughly, then treat them with RainX, just as you would do your car windshield. No more fog!
(I wish I knew of this stuff in the early 70s and on til '82 when I owned 3 different VW "bugs, who's windows fogged up on the INSIDE when it rained, or in winter!)
Hmmmm, the early ‘70s, a van, windows fogged up inside. Are you sure the rain was the cause of this?

Old 11-16-2018, 11:11 PM   #732
Chef Extraordinaire

Grow an aloe plant in your home. Put it in a window to get the light and sun. After all it is a warm weather type plant.

When you or the children get an insect bite, cut off the tip and squeeze out the gel from it. Apply to bite. This not only stops the itching, but promotes healing of the insect bite. Aloe is also used for burn victims. It promotes healing.

Aloe plants are hardy plants and cutting off the tip of each spear will not harm the plant.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:37 AM   #733
Executive Chef

Freshly peeled and shredded potatoes for hash browns are very full of water. Using a large sized rice press, you can press out a lot of water before frying. Removing all that water makes them easier to fry up nice and crisp and quick. A lot of places use frozen hash browns, probably because the freezing process dehydrates them. I find overly wet hash brown potatoes hard to cook up, successfully. I have to crank up the heat way high to get the outside crisp, while the insides are still somewhat undercooked.

They were too moist to begin with. My large rice presser fixed that. I was amazed how much water squeezed out.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:44 PM   #734
Assistant Cook

I use one of those collapsible steamer baskets inside my stock pot when making stock. (I think it's a 10" one. But also have a small 8" one).
I just lift out the basket when finished and discard the contents right in the disposal except for any bones, of course. It really helps to avoid getting small bones you may miss with swishing around the slotted spoon.
clf1030 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:38 PM   #735
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf1030 View Post
I use one of those collapsible steamer baskets inside my stock pot when making stock. (I think it's a 10" one. But also have a small 8" one).
I just lift out the basket when finished and discard the contents right in the disposal except for any bones, of course. It really helps to avoid getting small bones you may miss with swishing around the slotted spoon.
I make quite a bit of stock when I make it - the little steamer basket wouldn't work for the amount of solids I have to remove. So I use tongs to take out the largest pieces, then pour the stock through a colander into a large bowl.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:04 PM   #736
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I make quite a bit of stock when I make it - the little steamer basket wouldn't work for the amount of solids I have to remove. So I use tongs to take out the largest pieces, then pour the stock through a colander into a large bowl.
+1
I have used the pasta insert in my stock pot, but I prefer the above method.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:17 PM   #737
Chef Extraordinaire

I used to do the pasta pot insert but now I use a soup sock for making stock. Put everything in tie a knot. when done lift sock out, allow to drain then chuck it out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	soup_socks.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	32324

Regency Soup Sock *Triple Pack*- total 9 Socks

$9.40
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:14 PM   #738
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I used to do the pasta pot insert but now I use a soup sock for making stock. Put everything in tie a knot. when done lift sock out, allow to drain then chuck it out.

Attachment 32324

Regency Soup Sock *Triple Pack*- total 9 Socks

$9.40
What a great time and effort saver. Gonna check this out. Thanks!

clf1030 is online now   Reply With Quote