"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #71
Head Chef

Cornstarch
  • Test for freshness by mixing one teaspoon of vinegar with one teaspoon of cornstarch. The mixture will bubble if the cornstarch is fresh.

Fettuccine Alfredo is Macaroni & Cheese for Adults.
Luvs2Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #72
Assistant Cook

Kitchen Tip of the Day

It would be nice to have cooking/kitchen tip of the day on this site and the others on the miscellaneous forum.

My tip. Have you misplaced the twist tie for your plastic bread sleeve? Twist the plastic bag a couple times to seal close to the last slice. Then open the top and fold back over the loaf to keep in place.
Helen

Old 01-14-2009, 10:03 AM   #73
Head Chef

After grating cheese, grate a raw potato to clean the cheese out of the holes.

Fettuccine Alfredo is Macaroni & Cheese for Adults.
Luvs2Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #74
Assistant Cook

DH loves to grill and does it year round - being that we live in the snow belt that says something. Whyen he needs to clean his grates or rib rack or other greasy yucky grill parts, he puts it in the stationary tub. When the washer drains there it really loosens the stuff and makes it much easier to clean.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #75
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Rubbing a new, clean tennis ball over a black floor scuff will remove most of them, too. I read this recently and when I tried it on mine, it worked perfectly!
You can also just use the white rubber sole of a tennis shoe to remove the black marks. While you are standing wearing the shoes just rub your sole across the mark and it just picks it right up like an eraser. Works like magic. I no longer dread the black marks on the floor.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:35 PM   #76
Senior Cook

To keep from getting the watery liquid on top of your sour cream after it has been used just make sure to level off the sour cream in the container. If it is flat and level you won't get the liquid on top that normally happens after you have opened and used some. Works great!
Old 01-19-2009, 06:13 AM   #77
Assistant Cook

To avoid red wine staining your teeth simply drink a bottle of white wine before you go to bed.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #78
Assistant Cook

You can Use WD40 in the Kitchen

I know it sounds strange but it is a water displacement formula so it does well for cleaning things as well as loosening rusty bolts.

Here are a couple of things you can do:
1. Make coffee and tea stains disappear. You might think it strange to use WD-40 in the kitchen, but a little squirt can remove stubborn coffee and tea stains from your countertops. All you have to do is spray it on the stain and wipe it off with a dampened sponge or cloth.

2. Restore your refridgerator to its former glory. While cleaning your kitchen, take a look inside the refrigerator and try not to cringe at all the caked-on food bits. After emptying the contents, spray a little bit of WD-40 on dirty areas and wipe away. Just be sure to give the refrigerator interior a complete wipe-down before putting the food back.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #79
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Originally Posted by CherryRed
Here's a question: Do any of you know how to get adhesive off of stoneware? My boyfriend got some new bowls for the apartment and the stickers on them are impossible to remove. . . I got one corner up and was so horrified by the amount of adhesive left on the surface that I stopped immediately. Any help you can offer would be great!

Try a hot blowdryer I use is to loosen the glue on labels.
There is a product called Goo Gone, it's a petroleum product and it does wonders to take adhesives off everything. I use a small bottle of it and it's lasting years. I follow up with soap and water to get the greasy feeling off of the surface.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:30 PM   #80
Head Chef

WD-40 is one terrific product. Click here 15 Uses For WD-40 for more things you can do with it.