Tired of cooking...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Do any of you get to a point where something you love to do, for me cooking and eating, simply stop being good? I just got back from helping my parents get back on their feet after medical problems. They love for me to cook, but, you know what? they don't like to eat any more. Both are under-weight, and Mom's always been a nutrition-conscious, excellent cook. They both talk about how great a cook I am. but in real fact, neither eats more than a few bites a day. I'm back home now, and cooking just seems to have lost it for me. Eating as well. Guess I'm just a little depressed? How do I get the enthusiasm back?

You need to have a get-together with friends who enjoy eating the food you prepare. Cooking is a way you express yourself. You are one of those social creatures we like to call, wait for it, humans. And as a member of that group of creatures myself, I know how important it is to experience success, and be able receive a bit of praise for our hard efforts, even if that praise is not verbal, or expressly given by others, but rather obtained by watching others enjoy the fruits of our labors.

You need someone to appreciate your hard work, and desire to do your best.

We appreciate your recipes, and interaction, but are not physically in your presence. You can't see if we are really using the info you share, or are just paying lip service. This place is full of trustworthy people, but it is still trust that drives DC friendships. When you have someone over, you can actually see how they respond to your hard work. It makes that work worthwhile.

Even eating good food that isn't of your own preperation, say, at a restaurant, is more enjoyable when someone else is their with you, to share the experience with.

You need a appreciative friend to get your love of cooking back, or your love of fishing, or your love of singing, or, or, or...

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm sorry about your parents. Being there with them must have been really hard for you, but underneath it all I"m sure they were glad to have you there helping. And you could be depressed with reason. It might help to look at your life and how you live it. Think about what it takes to continue that life, with strength and energy. A few first places to start would be eating right, drinking water, and sleeping enough. Sometimes it takes doing something, whether you want to or not, before the enthusiasm returns. Try to make some simple plans to ensure that you have something healthy to eat, and as your body becomes stronger, your emotions will become more positive.

I learned this from The Joy of Stress, by Peter G. Hanson, copyright 1986, published by Andrews, McMeel and Parker. It's a great book.

Claire--I go through the same thing when I come back from my folks. I do all the cooking when I'm there, have to rein in how I cook because of my father's picky eating habits, and when I get home, it takes me a good week or more to get my cooking mojo back. Heck, it takes me a week to unpack! Hang in there. You have been on an emotional rollercoaster and now need some time to relax. Stress can take 7-14 days to get out of your system.

Maybe watching cooking videos or thumbing through cookbooks will help. I know that this works for me. I will look through and find a recipe that I haven't cooked before or go back to a recipe that I haven't quite perfected yet. The research is half the fun for me, I may not jump right back into the kitchen right away, but this get my juices flowing and gets me into the kitchen eventually.

Claire,
you've gotten some good advice here. Listen,listen and know all of us wish you the best. We know how you enjoy good food and how well you prepare it. We care about you and want only the best for you. I realize how hard it is to eat sometimes, it can almost make you gag. Don't get to that point. Have your DH make you some of that fresh pasta you love, then dig in and eat till you're so full you smile. Mom and dad will make it and I'm sure savored every bite you cooked.. Good daughter that's you.
kadesma

Don't feel guilty about putting it down for a while. Like any hobby or craft you don't have to force it. It will be there when you return. It may change as you do or your time allows but there are no rules right.

When I tire of cooking, I make salads and sandwiches for a while. After enough salad meals, I'm ready to cook real food again.

tired-cook-thumb13392565.jpg

Last edited:
If I have laid out a loose plan for the week the cooking goes fine but every so often I find myself without a plan or a routine, just drifting along and that is depressing for me. Anticipating seasonal treats and family favorites is also a big part of my planning. We all need something to look forward to even if it is only dinner! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

How about fixing a meal you know your parents would have loved at one time, a meal you wish they could enjoy again? That might stir your creative juices and get you feeling better about cooking.

Claire I think you're suffering from mild depression brought on by visiting your loved ones and now missing them because the high of your visit is over. I'm pretty sure time will cure your problems, and in a few days or a week or two you'll probably feel better. Good luck!

When my daughter visited me from out of state recently, we spent most of our time either shopping for food or cooking. Since she left, I've found myself in the doldrums food-wise, with a couple of exceptions brought on by Alix's lemon recipes and the need to use up things we bought. I think it will probably just be a matter of time until the dust settles and I'll feel more enthusiastic in general. Getting back to a normal routine and giving it a bit of time will probably do the trick for us. Here's hopin'! :)

had a young couple over for dinner, after the young man helped me prepare my garden for planting. I'm kind of mentoring this almost adult, who has not had a proper father for a very long time. I taught he and the young lady who was there with him and his mother, to make carne asada buritoes, along with home-made refried beans, and guacamole. They did the prep work, while I showed them an easy way to fire up the Webber Charcoal grill with old newspaper and old cooking oil. No need for charcoal starting fluid around my house. Also showed them how to grill the meat just right, with the lid on to maximize the smoke flavor in ten minutes of cooking time. They also had to dice the meat after it was grilled, and before it was combined with the cilantro, onion, bell pepper, cayenne peppers, salt, and lime juice.

Finally, they had to put it all together, with freshly grated colby-jack, or sharp cheddar for my wife, and his mother. I showed them how to build the burritos so they weren't too full, but contained all required ingredients.

I got to make something I had been hungry for for weeks, and help a young couple learn to prep, and make great food for five, out of two New york strip steaks, part of a bell pepper, an onion, 4 avocados, and a can of pinto beans, oh, and 7 flour tortillas. Everyone was full and satisfied.

After supper was over, I then took the young man to my craft room and taught him how to tie an aunt pattern dry fly.

That got me out of the cooking doldrums. It has been my experience, that we are never more satisfied than when we are giving of ourselves for the benefit of others.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

So well said, Chief.

And I'll be darned if you haven't got me asking myself if I should invest in a grill. Seems extravagant for just one person, but your description of those Mexican goodies is awfully tempting. :)

So well said, Chief.

And I'll be darned if you haven't got me asking myself if I should invest in a grill. Seems extravagant for just one person, but your description of those Mexican goodies is awfully tempting. :)

My grill is humble, a Webber Kettle that burns charcoal, and whatever flavorful wood i decide to throw in it. And if you can use it to mentor someone who wants to learn how to cook, wants to increase their knowledge, then that's double bonus.

I believe that if we have a little extra time, and the means, we should all mentor someone. Of course I put everything into my own children, when they were living at home, and still help them in any way I can. But they live so far away, and I have so many things I know how to do. I'm just wasting my time if I'm sitting around watching TV.

As a society, we've lost a great deal with our forced urban environments, even when we live in the country. We don't know, or talk to our neighbors. We are distrustful of anyone we don't know. We are not communities. We are individuals who are fighting everyone else, competing against everyone else, every minute.

If we could but learn to help each other, to be friendly toward each other, maybe our kids wouldn't think they need alcohol and drugs. Maybe the suicide rates would go down. Maybe communities could become a great place to live in again.

Ok, I'm climbing down from my soap box now. I was just talking to a friend about such things and was all fired up. But what I said is still relevant. We practice that lifestyle on DC. Let's practice it in our communities.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Yeah, I had a conversation with husband about it. He used to pull his share of cooking, but the joy went out of it for him years ago. We came up with the response of a lunch out (in addition to our usual Friday night dinners w/friends), just the two of us, and maybe a delivered pizza or something like that once a week, until I get my enthusiasm back. I did already throw a brunch, and my friends are truly appreciative when I cook (and more than happy to help out; we're a very potluck type group). I guess I just need to back off the entire concept for awhile. Weather was beautiful, and getting my cookout mojo going will help. It's just the drudgery of coming up with delicious and nutritious several times a week just started getting to me the past month.

Back
Top Bottom