"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 05-19-2006, 12:55 PM   #1
Contest Winner
Talking TNT Grilled Cheese French Toast

I don't know if anyone has done this before but today I made a grilled cheese sandwich, french toast style and it was SO yummy. I came up with it because I'm trying to get more protein in my diet. (eggs contain a good amount of protein as does cheese)

Fresh sliced french bread (or regular bread would work too I suppose)
Cheese of choice (I used gouda belegen w/ caraway)

Sandwich cheese between bread and then brush egg wash over the outsides of the bread. Place in a pan until golden. Sprinkle w/ S&P and then enjoy.

It was really yummy - definitely worth trying again! I bet some interesting combinations could be tried as well. Like what about gruyere and chopped tomato and onion? Or mozzarella di bufala w/ a bit of avocado and mayonnaise? A sweet/savory combination would be nice too, like thin sliced pear and emmental.

~passionate pescetarian~
grumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
Master Chef
Sort of like a monte cristo sandwich?

jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
Contest Winner
Originally Posted by jennyema
Sort of like a monte cristo sandwich?
I've never had or heard of a monte cristo sandwich. Is it similar?
~passionate pescetarian~
grumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:00 PM   #4
Executive Chef
Yes, I have done this before. I think they may be called a monte carlo sandwich. Indeed, they can be delicious. Thanks for the reminder, has been years since I made a grilled cheese like this.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:12 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
The "french toast" sandwich sounds delicious, I will have to try it. 2 of my favorite foods and all that.
The monte cristo's I have seen always involve some type of batter. I have only actually tasted one once and it was awful. Then again, we ordered it at a Bennigan's so I'm pretty sure it's not a true interpretation, but it was covered with some funky, sweet, disgusting batter and topped with jelly. YUCK!
bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:30 PM   #6
Executive Chef
This is similar to a spiedini, which is a breaded and pan/deep fried Italian sandwich. Good stuff.
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:32 PM   #7
Executive Chef
Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Yum-yum! That's quite similar to an Italian sandwich called "mozzarella in carrozza" (literally translated to mean "mozzarella in a carriage"), that I make sometimes for a treat. It comprises mozza (ideally fresh) slices between two sturdy pieces of bread that have been dipped in beaten eggs (seasoned however you like) and then fried (you don't need to use oil, it can be done in a non-stick pan). I love to searve these with some marinara or similar tomato sauce or with a selection of fresh fruit slices.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 04:39 PM   #8
Master Chef
In the Unique and Great Sandwiches thread, way back, I put in a grilled cheese/french toast recipe. But yours is substantially different and much more versatile. Thank you. Mine was literally to make the egg batter for french toast (for me that means egg, milk, Splenda, and cinnamon), soak the bread and cook one side of two slices. Flip one, place Velveeta, or your favorite cheese on top of the cooked side, and place the cooked side of the ohter slic on top of the cheese. Finish cooking as you would regular grilled cheese. Serve with warm maple syrup.

This is a great sandwich and would work with bacon or breadfast sausage added to the recipe as well. But with your version, you could add deli meats, all kinds of cheeses, and a host of veggies. I'd use mine for a breakfast or lunch. I'd use yours for any meal of the day, and maybe even for a snack. Again, thanks for sharing.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:06 PM   #9
Master Chef
I've made Monte Cristos before, and your recipe reminded me a little of that, but your sandwich sounds simpler and not so terribly rich.
I must say I approve of your choice of cheese...Gouda is one of my favorites.

Goodweed, I like your idea of making it a breakfast item. I think a fried egg ought to go in there.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 06:05 PM   #10
Hospitality Queen
My younger boy will love this for breakfast! (and I bet he'll ask for bacon to accompany the cheese) Thank you!!

Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote