TNT Stand-by Foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
What are the dishes that are your TNT dishes you make when you don't feel like cooking but still have to cook? Mine are:

Beef strogranoff
Janssen's Temptation
Lasagne
Beef roast
roast turkey
roast chicken
ceasar salad
chili
Kale soup
homemade bread/cinnamon rolls
waffles
fried eggs and bacon
Fried rice
steak and fried mushrooms
Italian wedding soup
homemade pizza
tacos

Last edited:
What in the heck is Jannsen's Temptation?

Any version of pasta and cheese -- whatever is in the house
In the summer? Chopped garden tomatoes and herbs with pasta
BLTs
If I have leftover rice in the fridge, I'm with you on fried rice (last night's dinner in fact)
An omlette and a salad
I usually have a batch of stock in the freezer, so any kind of soup
Salad Nicoise
Frozen pizza with added good stuff. Don't see how home-made pizza could possibly be an "I don't feel like cooking" meal. Come on, get real. Let's say a grocery store flat bread with pizza toppings. Anything requiring yeast isn't an "I don't feel like cooking" meal!
Grilled cheese sandwiches. Bologna or ham optional if it is hanging around.
Couscous with almost anything chopped into it. Ditto taboule. Full meal, little effort.

So many you listed are dishes that take a lot of time to make, so they aren't "go to" in a pinch for me.

spaghetti or hamburger macaroni and cheese show up frequently since they are easy to throw together. I usually buy hamburger in bulk and brown it up all at once and freeze it in 1 lb packages. Then I just pop it in the microwave for 2 mins and add it to anything.

BLT's
fried chicken from KFC or the grocery deli but we make the sides (like mashies or home fries/corn on cob/Marzetti's cole slaw) cause we can't stand KFC sides and don't really care for most of the grocery ones.
Ground beef stroganoff
meat loaf
Pasta ala vodka if I have sauce and pancetta in the freezer, as well as vodka in the pantry
beef pot roast or cuban pork pot roast
Ravioli or gnocchi with something, we usually have one or both in the freezer.
Kosher hot dogs

I don't mind things that take a long time to cook as long as they are something I don't have to actively participate with when I don't feel like cooking. Pot roasts and oven roasted things both qualify for me.

Last edited:
Omelet
Scrambled eggs
Grits
Cream of wheat
Grilled cheese
Cottage cheese with drained canned fruit

Of course, cooking for one, I can keep it as simple or as complicated as I want, I don't have to please anyone else.

Since it's just the 2 of us, & homemade soup freezes well, if I have some in the freezer, I'll usually take that out & have it with a salad or sandwich.

Other "I Don't Feel Like Cooking Favorites":

Turkey Tacos
Turkey Chili
Pasta with a good jarred sauce (Paul Sorvino's, Barillo, Safeway's own (their Arabiatta is wonderful), &, darn it, one other that I can't remember at the moment)
Pasta with a good jarred sauce & sauteed ground turkey or hot Italian turkey sausages added to it
Aglio de Olio (pardon if wrong spelling) - spaghetti with extra-virgin olive oil, chopped garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, & a sprinkling of dry seasoned bread crumbs
Spinach pasta with clam sauce - Spinach spaghetti or linguini with canned or jarred white clam sauce tweaked up with extra canned clams, extra garlic, chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley, & a splash of dry white wine
Omelets

We both work from home, so we have the time to cook. And, these are the things that take less time in the kitchen than some of the other things we do! We don't eat processed foods--the only canned goods I have are water chestnuts, evaporated milk, and hominy. Honestly, that is the extent of the canned goods in our house at the moment--I have no Swedish sprats/anchovies. I haven't been to IKEA since I don't remember when...

Janssen's Temptation is Swedish scalloped potatoes with anchovies. Under the anchovies thread I explained how I modify the typical recipe but here's a link to a pretty basic way of making Janssen's (we always spelt it with an e) Temptation:

Jansson's Temptation (Janssons Frestelse) Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Last edited:
What are the dishes that are your TNT dishes you make when you don't feel like cooking but still have to cook?...

Whatever I have in the freezer. I always have frozen meals in the freezer. Sometimes it pasta sauce with meats, several types of soups, enchilada sauce, chili, etc.

Otherwise, it's take-out.

We both work from home, so we have the time to cook. And, these are the things that take less time in the kitchen than some of the other things we do! We don't eat processed foods--the only canned goods I have are water chestnuts, evaporated milk, and hominy. Honestly, that is the extent of the canned goods in our house at the moment--I have no Swedish sprats/anchovies. I haven't been to IKEA since I don't remember when...

Janssen's Temptation is Swedish scalloped potatoes with anchovies. Under the anchovies thread I explained how I modify the typical recipe but here's a link to a pretty basic way of making Janssen's (we always spelt it with an e) Temptation:

Jansson's Temptation (Janssons Frestelse) Recipe - Allrecipes.com

That sounds WONDERFUL, & I've saved it, but it's definitely not something I'd make if I "didn't feel like cooking" - lol!!!

That sounds WONDERFUL, & I've saved it, but it's definitely not something I'd make if I "didn't feel like cooking" - lol!!!

If you use the slicing blade on your food processor, it is really fast to cut the potatoes (we slice ours in round slices, not shoestring). Ditto with the onions. Then you can get on the food forum while it cooks <g>.

Back
Top Bottom