To freeze?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

progressive cook

Assistant Cook
A lot of recipes are for 4 -6 people and yet I will often make a meal for two or even just myself. I often will make the larger portion and eat the same meal two nights running. However if I made the larger portion is it possible to freeze all foods or are there certain ingredients that cannot be frozen?

I freeze almost everything. I honestly can only think of a couple of things that won't freeze well and that is lettuce. and some pasta.

I freeze lasagna all the time with the pasta in it of course and it is always just fine.

Beans, vegies, fruits, casseroles, soups, stews, leftover big meals like turkey or roast beef .. like I said .. I freeze most everything.

HOWEVER --- there are a ton of people here who can probably answer your question with more technical details.

I freeze almost everything also. I purposely make large casseroles, soups, and stews just to freeze so we have a quick meal ready to go. Personally, I've never had problems freezing potatoes. I have American's Test Kitchen Make ahead cookbook and it has recipes for twice baked potatoes and scalloped potatoes that I have made for years and they always come out beautifully. I also freeze individual servings of mashed potatoes and gravy. The gravy I put in ice cube trays then store in a ziplock bag. Some of the soups with a cream base don't taste quite as good as fresh but they are still acceptable.

I freeze lasagna but not pasta, because becames overcooked when you reheat it. I thought to try to do it, but with pasta undercooked, so when it is reheated it finishes the cooking.

If it's a casserole, sauce or certain meats, it can go into my freezer. I probably would not freeze left over fresh vegetable except maybe those that would go into a soup or similar dish. Freezing wouldn't make leftover dangerous to eat later, but the quality might not be there. I figure there's no harm in freezing it if the choices are to toss it now or toss it later because it didn't freeze well.

Back
Top Bottom